British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   2018 World Cup Bid - Who will get it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/2018-world-cup-bid-who-will-get-588633/)

Bison Feb 2nd 2009 4:53 am

2018 World Cup Bid - Who will get it?

The cut-off point for contenders to get there bids in is 5pm today.

Here are the main contenders for the 2018 World Cup and their chances of clinching the bid:

England

The English bid has arrived fairly late in the process, but nevertheless, the wealth of stadiums in the country mean the home of the Premier League will put forward a good case to FIFA. The chief executive of the England bid, Andy Anson, told the UK's Press Association, "We believe we have a very strong case to bring the tournament to England and the challenge now is to put together a compelling presentation to showcase to the world."

Portugal/Spain

The joint bid from Spain and Portugal has the weight of experience behind it. Spain has hosted a World Cup in 1982, while Portugal hosted the 2004 European Championships -- after beating off a bid from Spain. Both countries have passionate football followers and also offer plenty of stadiums to choose from.

Qatar

The World Cup has never gone to the Middle East, and if it goes there in 2018 it'll be money that takes it. It would seem odd that such a tiny state could host the event, but after being shunned for the 2016 Olympics, Qatari officials have promised the gas and oil-rich state will invest heavily in the appropriate infrastructure.

Russia

The World Cup has never been held in Russia (or the former USSR) and Russian football officials have admitted that plenty of investment will be required if they are to hold the event in 2018 or 2022. Still, if FIFA is looking to continue growing the game, a country like Russia could provide a similar impact to the popular 2002 event in Korea and Japan.

Australia

Australia sits in one of football's most neglected regions, so much so the country's football federation left Oceania in favor of Asia. But surely that setting is more of a reason to give it to Australia than not to. The national team have been strong in recent years -- unlucky to lose to eventual champions Italy in the round of 16 at the 2006 World Cup, and there's no doubt that the Aussies would put on an equally good show as they did with the 2000 Olympics and the 2003 Rugby World Cup.

Belgium/Netherlands

The second of Europe's joint bids, the Netherlands and Belgium do offer the benefits of being easily accessible to all of Europe and the former being a top contender in recent major events.

I think England stands a good chance, it probably won't cost us much at all either, we already have enough premiership stadiums that are up to World Cup standard, plus we will be able to re-cycle some of the 2012 Olympic facilities.

Also in our favour is the fact they we are a reserve host for the 2010 World Cup which is set to be held in SA. If the troubles continue there, it's possible we could host 2 World Cups?

Bison

Blue Cat Feb 2nd 2009 4:54 am

Re: 2018 World Cup Bid - Who will get it?

my guess would be Qatar? would they not have more cash?

Bison Feb 2nd 2009 4:57 am

my guess would be Qatar? would they not have more cash?
They certainly have the cash, but they would have to build, England has everything in place already.

Cast your vote!!

Bison

Blue Cat Feb 2nd 2009 4:58 am

I voted Qatar but I really have no idea :unsure:

Kim67 Feb 2nd 2009 5:05 am

I vote Australia. They really want it and after the last world cup, they really feel like they have something to prove. And it would make my greek soccer mad great nephews' lives if it was Australia.

commander Feb 2nd 2009 5:45 am

Would a july world cup in qatar not be a tad hot??

England would be good, especially if Scotland qualified (for a change)

Blue Cat Feb 2nd 2009 5:46 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7238476)
Would a july world cup in qatar not be a tad hot??

England would be good, especially if Scotland qualified (for a change)

sorry forgot it is in July :o

Inselaffen Feb 2nd 2009 5:55 am

they should drop the idea of Joint hosts as it often means at least 1 crap team qualifying which wouldn't normally do so.

Jeeper Feb 2nd 2009 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7238501)
they should drop the idea of Joint hosts as it often means at least 1 crap team qualifying which wouldn't normally do so.

I am so tired of football....advertising related to football and football being on when the programme states that something decent should be on...like golf!

Honestly....there's too much football on.

Right now....
Showsports 1 - football
Showsports 2 - football
Showsports 3 - football.:thumbdown:

Half the time it's not even live games....just shows about football.

benzonar Feb 2nd 2009 4:19 pm

Andy Anson is a good bloke so he should do a good job. I worked with his brother when Andy was the Commercial Director at Old Trafford, was always getting me tickets for the home games.

The Dean Feb 2nd 2009 4:42 pm

Qatar just hasn't got the infrastructure, whatever the weather.

Look at the numbers that went to Germany (2006) and Japan/South Korea (2002) - a small country like Qatar, with few hotels, and VERY few bars, has no chance. Also, everything in Qatar is based in and around Doha - a World Cup is staged all over the country in different cities.

It was eliminated from the bidding for the 2016 Olympics for similar reasons.

Don't rule out England, but the current uncertainty about finance etc for the London Olympics might count against them.

So it's Australia for me too.............

commander Feb 2nd 2009 5:19 pm

Oz would be good. The tartan army down under...

Thydney Feb 2nd 2009 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7240216)
Oz would be good. The tartan army down under...

Isn't there something about it not being on the same continent in consecutive tournaments? Which rules out everybody but Qatar and Australia.
The Arabs are the richest so my money is with them

Roadking Feb 2nd 2009 5:33 pm

Where is the "We don't really care" choice? I reckon that would be number 1.

BangleMan Feb 2nd 2009 5:36 pm

I was watching a Sports stadium expert interviewed on Sky News a day or two ago, and he said there is a whole host of things that FIFA consider before they even look at the stadium capacity's......

Transport connections / hotels near stadiums for teams, officials and worldwide media / media facilities in the grounds to cater for 100's of reporters, tv crews etc / training facilities etc

The expert being interviewed said that although some of the English grounds whilst having good enough capacity's, do not have sufficient of the above, compared with other country's who may build purpose built stadia / villages etc to accomodate the above, so he thinks the English bid may not be good enough

I think Australia, especially as it was rumoured that they were on stand by in case S.A. were not showing sufficient signs of being ready to host 2010