2018 Holidays

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2018 Holidays

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Amsterdam at the end of the month for a stag do
Manchester in March for a few United games (Liverpool and Sevilla)
Budapest in March for a stag do
London in May for a wedding
Cambodia in Nov

Will probably squeeze another trip to Asia in sometime...

Next year I have a safari and Kilimanjaro on my hit list along with S. America.
Seems like you're always jetting off for stag dos. When will you run out of mates getting married?

As a connoisseur of stag dos, which place has the best ones?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
patronising politically correct know-it-alls
The irony is so obvious it must be deliberate.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
The irony is so obvious it must be deliberate.
Ahem, cough, ahem. You may call me many things but politically correct is not one of them.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Off to the same villa in Xaghra, Gozo as last year. This time around it'll be me, husband, mum, dad, dad in law and sister in law as my mum in law passed away in October.

The parents in law were meant to come last June but that’s when she was diagnosed with cancer.

It’ll be strange going back to the places we used to go to with her.
Think we’ll all raise a Pimms and tonic in her memory.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Small group of islands in the south Atlantic that's been a British territory for 170 years and a population that voted to stay with the UK 98%-2%. Supposed to be an interesting place to visit although I'm told they don't look kindly on patronising politically correct know-it-alls

Seems like you're always jetting off for stag dos. When will you run out of mates getting married?

Ha ha, hopefully soon. I made a promise to myself that last year was going to be the last year of my attending destination stag do / weddings as I haven't been on a trip that I actually choose the destination of in years which is annoying! However, these ones kind of squeezed through....

As for the best destination..... i'm not really sure, they all generally follow a similar path when you look back on them. Amsterdam is pretty good as its pretty relaxed and folk don't mind joining in on the joke, that said we're don't exactly go all out with regards to costumes or pranks. It's more mates getting together and getting pissed up with a heavy helping of piss taking.

Quite looking forward to Budapest tho as I haven't been before and the actual stag is an absolute menace who always makes a point of destroying us on our birthday brunches..... as such about 30 folk have confirmed just to take their revenge!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Ahem, cough, ahem. You may call me many things but politically correct is not one of them.
Just a patronising know-it-all then? I can live with that as a fair summar.

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
Off to the same villa in Xaghra, Gozo as last year. This time around it'll be me, husband, mum, dad, dad in law and sister in law as my mum in law passed away in October.

The parents in law were meant to come last June but that’s when she was diagnosed with cancer.

It’ll be strange going back to the places we used to go to with her.
Think we’ll all raise a Pimms and tonic in her memory.
I hope you have a wonderful time as a family and enjoy many Pimms for your Mum in law.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Tallinn in Estonia - Ticks all the boxes breaks all the rules and not for the faint hearted.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 7:23 am
Account Closed

Quite looking forward to Budapest tho as I haven't been before and the actual stag is an absolute menace who always makes a point of destroying us on our birthday brunches..... as such about 30 folk have confirmed just to take their revenge!
Budapest is wicked. Careful in the booby bars though, came close to getting fleeced in one. Otherwise was awesome, worth seeing the bridge and old town at night, looks incredible.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Thanks Scamp
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Budapest is wicked. Careful in the booby bars though, came close to getting fleeced in one. Otherwise was awesome, worth seeing the bridge and old town at night, looks incredible.
The taxi scam or the drinks being like 5k each and they don't let you leave until you have paid one?

Noted though, thanks.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Budapest has these "ruin pubs" which are large cavern-like pubs inside semi-derelict buildings. Fun charm. Cheap beer. I did see a stag do group on a peculiar cycling machine, sitting at a table drinking beer while cycling through the city. Don't be that daft

Food is mediocre but it's a great city with a nitty-gritty vibe that's missing from Vienna or Prague. Plenty of great architecture. River is lovely especially at night.

Since you're a geologist you may be intrigued by the underground caverns underneath the city. They can be visited.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Budapest is the only place I've been to where I've had to resort to a McDonalds for food. Some people have told me the food is amazing, I just never found the decent places I guess.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:09 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Budapest has these "ruin pubs" which are large cavern-like pubs inside semi-derelict buildings. Fun charm. Cheap beer. I did see a stag do group on a peculiar cycling machine, sitting at a table drinking beer while cycling through the city. Don't be that daft

Food is mediocre but it's a great city with a nitty-gritty vibe that's missing from Vienna or Prague. Plenty of great architecture. River is lovely especially at night.

Since you're a geologist you may be intrigued by the underground caverns underneath the city. They can be visited.
There's fabulous food n wine in the city (and no doubt throughout the country), IMHO; we ate extremely well when we were there. Just for something different, and following some of the TripAdvisor reviews, we decided to go to a Jewish restaurant, Rosenstein: very up-market and sophisticated, and utterly superb. No riff raff / stag-dos.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
There's fabulous food n wine in the city (and no doubt throughout the country), IMHO; we ate extremely well when we were there. Just for something different, and following some of the TripAdvisor reviews, we decided to go to a Jewish restaurant, Rosenstein: very up-market and sophisticated, and utterly superb. No riff raff / stag-dos.
I don't doubt you can get good food, we did eat particularly well at one place and it did come at a cost. But despite careful research all the other places we went to were average to decent and one or two outright mediocre. You just have to be careful where you go because the typical joint you walk to off the street will be selling mediocre glop and passing it off as goulasch. And most of the pastries are filled with margarine instead of real butter. The consequence of the Communist legacy. A Hungarian friend explained it succinctly when he said that to have high quality dining you need a high quality supply chain of produce and meats and cheese and everything else that goes into making a great meal, and that was destroyed by the communists. It's slowly coming back but it will take a while. It's not like Vienna or Munich where you can reliably eat well.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:30 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't doubt you can get good food, we did eat particularly well at one place and it did come at a cost. But despite careful research all the other places we went to were average to decent and one or two outright mediocre. You just have to be careful where you go because the typical joint you walk to off the street will be selling mediocre glop and passing it off as goulasch. And most of the pastries are filled with margarine instead of real butter. The consequence of the Communist legacy. A Hungarian friend explained it succinctly when he said that to have high quality dining you need a high quality supply chain of produce and meats and cheese and everything else that goes into making a great meal, and that was destroyed by the communists. It's slowly coming back but it will take a while. It's not like Vienna or Munich where you can reliably eat well.
We were only there 3 nights, and were well pleased. Rosenstein, Paprika Jancsi, and Hachapuri (Georgian cuisine). Food markets were good, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.