Old Dec 12th 2012, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012

stricltly speaking it was 2011 but at 23.50 on NYE while at a party I got a call telling me my boss ( and good friend) had been killed in a skiing accident

I had an offer from the UK on the table which I was about to turn down but once I saw who his replacement was I took it

Big upheaval to leave after 10 years but it's worked really well and everyone is healthy and happy, looking forward to a cold christmas again
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear so many crap things gone on with some of you.... nice to hear some good stories too.

For me ....year 4 of being here (3.5 yrs in), has been better than average, and I am very thankful that we (hubs & I) are in good jobs and earning a decent crust (nothing to write home about given some of the huge salaries I hear about folk earning in this part of the world), but I wouldn't write home about our salaries because folk at home seem FAR worse off .....

2012 = 3 good holidays (UAE Banyan Tree x3 days for hubs birthday in May / Thailand for 10 days in June then 3 wks in Spain & UK in Aug/ Sept to do the family rounds, then a week of at Xmas which inc's x3 nights in Muscat). Not much to complain about there!

A car I love to run to work in (270 kms a day round trip for me - could do without the drive TBH).

A good horse to look after (not mine, just do 3 days a week, couldn't commit any more time). But keeps me sane outside of the madness of work!

A good and loving hubby, not that I see much of him with our work schedules ..... (maybe that's why we still like each other so much?? lol).

There's one thing that'd make my 2013 ....it'll cost a fortune, and it'll change our lives forever ..... tried throughout 2012 had all the checks & was given the 'you're ok, still young enough.....just'. More checks next year..... we'll see, and we'll see how much money we might have to throw at it, or give up on the idea altogther I just dunno.

Wishing you all a happy and peaceful 2013.

Eq x
Old Dec 13th 2012, 6:15 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

9.9/10 for me (Well, nothing's perfect!!)..

Divorce finally went thru at the start of the year...

After a year and a half of being in limbo with my job in DXB (paid well, but treading water professionally) got an offer of 4 locations (Anchorage, Bakersfield, Baku or Bangkok) and chose Thailand. Spent the first quarter jetting around SEA getting a one off project up and running, spent a month in Busan seeing it to fruition and, by mid-year, settled in to Bangkok life.

Decent payrise in a town with a far lower COL, still featherbed package, but now my car, petrol and driver are covered fully..

Re-married in August back in Gods country...

We have a kid on the way (my 3rd, her 1st), so 2013 looks like it'll be just as good!!!
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE

After a year and a half of being in limbo with my job in DXB (paid well, but treading water professionally) got an offer of 4 locations (Anchorage, Bakersfield, Baku or Bangkok) and chose Thailand. Spent the first quarter jetting around SEA getting a one off project up and running, spent a month in Busan seeing it to fruition and, by mid-year, settled in to Bangkok life.

Decent payrise in a town with a far lower COL, still featherbed package, but now my car, petrol and driver are covered fully..

We have a kid on the way (my 3rd, her 1st), so 2013 looks like it'll be just as good!!!
Congrats on the wedding! And on the baby
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one, TGFKASE, so glad things are going well for you
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

I find it difficult to quantify these things but I guess it has been a good year, my 27th in Dubai. Lets give it 9/10.

Been on chemo for the whole year, but in October I passed 1 year since diagnosis which 95% of fellow sufferers don't make so that is great!!

Had a good holiday in China in Sept. Also went to Singapore in May and tripped and dislocated my shoulder. No, I wasn't drunk, but it was fixed at the 2nd attempt for $500. Still have 3 weeks left.

Should have retired to Malaysia/China during the year but decided to keep working which I feel is perhaps is a good way to keep your mind off more serious matters. However I don't sit everyday thinking of the situation. Also my employer graciously came forward to take care of the treatment. I am very grateful for that.

Another positive was a 30% pay rise....

2013?

Well I must get some more holidays in and probably more dreams of one last trip home to Port Stanley, but not sure I want to face the 3 flights there and 3 back! But most of all continued stabilisation of the main problem.

Thanks to family and friends for their support. Wish me well folks!

Last edited by Jim Smith; Dec 13th 2012 at 1:05 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:09 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE

brilliant!!! nice to hear such good news. At the end of the day as I learnt with my back issues in 2011 as long as we are all fit and healthy then we all had a good year
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
I find it difficult to quantify these things but I guess it has been a good year, my 27th in Dubai. Lets give it 9/10.

Been on chemo for the whole year, but in October I passed 1 year since diagnosis which 95% of fellow sufferers don't make so that is great!!

Had a good holiday in China in Sept. Also went to Singapore in May and tripped and dislocated my shoulder. No, I wasn't drunk, but it was fixed at the 2nd attempt for $500. Still have 3 weeks left.

Should have retired to Malaysia/China during the year but decided to keep working which I feel is perhaps is a good way to keep your mind off more serious matters. However I don't sit everyday thinking of the situation. Also my employer graciously came forward to take care of the treatment. I am very grateful for that.

Another positive was a 30% pay rise....

2013?

Well I must get some more holidays in and probably more dreams of one last trip home to Port Stanley, but not sure I want to face the 3 flights there and 3 back! But most of all continued stabilisation of the main problem.

Thanks to family and friends for their support. Wish me well folks!
sorry to hear about our illness but happy to hear that it sounds under control, Port Stanley I have always wanted to go, one day
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
sorry to hear about our illness but happy to hear that it sounds under control, Port Stanley I have always wanted to go, one day
Unfortunately a long way from here. Only been back twice since I left in 1972!

There are lots of photos on a few Facebook groups like this!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ChaysstopforSmoko/
Old Dec 13th 2012, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty good year despite all the doom and gloom. Got engaged. Rank it 8/10 overall.

2013: Get married.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:41 pm