British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   2012 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/2012-780367/)

kittycat1 Dec 12th 2012 6:43 am

We are rapidly approaching the end of 2012, hows the year been for you generally? good year bad year? Highlights and lowlights?

Is it me or has this year gone by even quicker than ever?

And 2013- any plans?

LaLaLayla Dec 12th 2012 6:47 am

Re: 2012

'Twas one of the hardest years of my life. Difficult pregnancy, on bed rest for 4 months, not being able to work resulting in awful financial problems and ultimately a horrific birth experience.

However, from it came our beautiful daughter so worth it in the end :D.

PS: That is my daughter in my avatar, it's not Winston Churchill as Mentalist suggested.

Blue Cat Dec 12th 2012 6:49 am

I have to agree this year has absolutely flown over, not been a bad one and considerable better than 2011 which was horrid. Looking forward to 2013 :)

shiva Dec 12th 2012 7:05 am

got to spend the year getting to know my son better, everything after that is largely irrelevant but for the sake of listing it, work is picking back up significantly which is good, got to work at a pretty high level all year in motorsports again great, we dint bomb iran and we didnt have to leave beacuse of it, i'm stil alive which is a bonus. yeah not a bad year

Dumbo Dec 12th 2012 7:49 am

Best year ever! My son's first full year, he is the coolest kid.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 12th 2012 8:05 am

Pretty good year, definitely.

Settled into Dubai properly.
Changed jobs to something much more enjoyable.
^ Payrise ^
Incredible holiday in 'Nam

Next year

Opportunity to save more
Opportunity to be debt free in the UK (only a touch more to go!)
Opportunity to earn more
Holiday in Thailand / Hong Kong planned
Hoping to go to Aus for the Lions and to see a mate

Should be good.

britexpat76 Dec 12th 2012 8:19 am

1st 10 months in Doha has flown by. Started a new business and have not managed to hemorrhage cash, In fact we have made money.

Met some new friends I would class as good friends already and met a potential Mrs Britexpat. Flown my Mum out twice (Which I never did in UAE) Life's Good.

kungpowdow Dec 12th 2012 9:02 am

2012 - Best year yet.

Trips to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and India.
Fantastic new job with an 80% salary increase.
Made some new friends for life.
Epic social calendar (DWC, 3x Sandance, Sevens, Tennis Champs, Concerts)
Saved some money, paid off some mortgage.
Plus still have an amazing christmas at home with family to look forward to and then new year's eve in Dubai.

2013 - To do list.

Skydiving
1 week in the Maldives
2 weeks in Australia
Possibility of proposing to my GF (if she behaves)

So grateful to the UAE for providing me with everything I need to make my dreams come true. If you'd have told me 5 years ago how lucky I would be I would never have believed you.

Autonomy Dec 12th 2012 9:18 am

Started off with a funeral in January and has got steadily worse....

Meow Dec 12th 2012 9:30 am

Hmmm, 6/10. Mainly OK, but some major issues and badly let down by someone I thought was a friend.

I'm invariably optimistic for the future.

Theseus Dec 12th 2012 9:50 am

Started horrendously in January got worse - until I got the job out here and moved to Doha in August. I'm so happy I did it I needed to get away from some fairly major shiznit.

Met some amazing friends here and love them to bits, I'm having a good time and only very occasionally does the darkness that I left in the UK overshoadow everything.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 12th 2012 9:58 am

Ooh. So many people seem to have had major drama.

I think everyone should explain and then we can vote for who's had the worst year.

Welivehere Dec 12th 2012 9:59 am

2012 - Passable - Some nice ups and a few big downs....
2013 - Optimistic for improvements

Bahtatboy Dec 12th 2012 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10429165)
Ooh. So many people seem to have had major drama.

I think everyone should explain and then we can vote for who's had the worst year.

Not funny, buddy.

norsk Dec 12th 2012 3:13 pm

The year has flown by..

January started as a nice 9/10, but it soon started going downhill. In May (after a couple months of big conflict and uncertainty at the company where I worked) they fired most of the senior management team. At that point in time I would have called the year as a whole at a lowly 2/10 (maximum).

I found another job very quickly though, and managed to screw my old company a bit with help of the Ministry of Labour so happy days. In July I would say the year was back at a respectable 8/10, but this has gradually crept downwards due to office politics and difficult colleagues in my new role. At this point in time I would (with difficulty) call it an even 5/10.

I have plans though and hope to start 2013 on a high...:thumbsup: