British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   2010- Your year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/2010-your-year-698330/)

kittycat1 Dec 28th 2010 4:30 am

2010- Your year

So has it been a good year or a bad year? High points and low points please and any hopes for 2011?

For me its been a funny old year- settling in here- getting stuck in Doha because of a Volcano(low point)- two of my best friends getting married(high point), making some fabulous friends here (high point), tooth breaking (low point). And for 2011 need to start some planning and make some decisions- feeling very positive about the furure in general (other than my dental issues- I know Im a drama queen!)see what I want to do from here- so open to big changes- quite excited think it could be a good year for me (touch wood)!

Kittycat
xxx

PS does anyone here believe the world will end in 2012?

Spugsy Dec 28th 2010 4:54 am

Re: 2010- Your year

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9063201)
So has it been a good year or a bad year? High points and low points please and any hopes for 2011?

For me its been a funny old year- settling in here- getting stuck in Doha because of a Volcano(low point)- two of my best friends getting married(high point), making some fabulous friends here (high point), tooth breaking (low point). And for 2011 need to start some planning and make some decisions- feeling very positive about the furure in general (other than my dental issues- I know Im a drama queen!)see what I want to do from here- so open to big changes- quite excited think it could be a good year for me (touch wood)!

Kittycat
xxx

End of the year was shit, for various reasons - looking forward to getting stuff sorted in the next month and getting on with 2011 to be honest.

Don't think I'll be here in another 12 - 18 months anyway so going to enjoy Dubai and surrounding areas as much as I can this year.

kittycat1 Dec 28th 2010 4:59 am

Spugsy- don't say it like that - sounds like you're going to drop dead- which obviously we don't want!

Spugsy Dec 28th 2010 5:01 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9063224)
Spugsy- don't say it like that - sounds like you're going to drop dead- which obviously we don't want!

well if teh world is going to end in 2012 who cares?

kittycat1 Dec 28th 2010 5:15 am

Someone a bit grumpy today? HUG xxx

Blue Cat Dec 28th 2010 6:42 am

2010 was in general a good year for us as a family, 2009 was the bad one, I am doing more work and earning a bit of cash here and there which is a good thing. Mitten is doing well at school, I have some fabulous friends around me. On the downside a good friend is leaving at the end of January and just thinking about it upsets me. People say you get used to it but you don't. Many friends left in 2009 and even though we keep in touch it isn't the same as them being here.

lionheart Dec 28th 2010 6:55 am

Not much to write home about. At least it looks like we will retain The Ashes, which is nice. Not sure of our future plans but I would like Jasmine to get a better education than she is getting here.

Blue Cat Dec 28th 2010 7:02 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9063332)
Not much to write home about. At least it looks like we will retain The Ashes, which is nice. Not sure of our future plans but I would like Jasmine to get a better education than she is getting here.

change schools, get her into DESS !

lionheart Dec 28th 2010 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9063340)
change schools, get her into DESS !

No thanks. We are happy with the quality of the school. Its simply that most expat kids seem so spoiled here. I want her to toughen up and get more streetwise.

Blue Cat Dec 28th 2010 7:42 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9063332)

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9063394)
No thanks. We are happy with the quality of the school. Its simply that most expat kids seem so spoiled here. I want her to toughen up and get more streetwise.

I must have misread this :p I would rather have an expatkid than one raised in the UK, HOWEVER it is all down to parenting, some of the kids I saw in England were pushing kids in prams, seriously they were 14 and 15

HELEN44 Dec 28th 2010 10:28 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9063201)

Kittycat
xxx

Been another really funny year! Started with me having to be flown home from a fab job in Jordan which I'd had literally a matter of weeks to have an operation. Had op in March, waited nearly three months, so no salary, couldn't fly for another twelve minimum in case of complications. No salary until September gone, for new job here in Dubai - adult kids home in England. Being a born optimist, I hope to just face the new challenges and a second op which I'll have to go back home for in the next year but after that I'll be fighting fit again and back out here no doubt - still sooo much to see and do!! Wanna write more and see lotsa live gigs!! All the best!:)

Blue Cat Dec 28th 2010 11:29 am

Originally Posted by HELEN44 (Post 9063595)
Been another really funny year! Started with me having to be flown home from a fab job in Jordan which I'd had literally a matter of weeks to have an operation. Had op in March, waited nearly three months, so no salary, couldn't fly for another twelve minimum in case of complications. No salary until September gone, for new job here in Dubai - adult kids home in England. Being a born optimist, I hope to just face the new challenges and a second op which I'll have to go back home for in the next year but after that I'll be fighting fit again and back out here no doubt - still sooo much to see and do!! Wanna write more and see lotsa live gigs!! All the best!:)

are you a teacher?

lionheart Dec 28th 2010 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9063677)
are you a teacher?

So tell us how you exactly worked that one out BC...you are correct incidentally.

lionheart Dec 28th 2010 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9063395)
I must have misread this :p I would rather have an expatkid than one raised in the UK, HOWEVER it is all down to parenting, some of the kids I saw in England were pushing kids in prams, seriously they were 14 and 15

I was referring to her all round education rather than just schooling. Yes, expat kids may be easier for parents to control but, when she eventually settles down in the UK or wherever, Jasmine will need to be able to adapt to the harsh realities of life back home. Good parenting obviously helps but cannot really prepare a child for the gang mentality and bullying, which I guess is more common in city schools back home than here. Just my thoughts.

HELEN44 Dec 28th 2010 11:48 am

Yup and replied privately. :)