Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

2001 Range Rover what do you think?

2001 Range Rover what do you think?

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

pinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nice
Default Re: 2001 Range Rover what do you think?

Originally Posted by Eeyore
If only that were true! The moment something breaks, the car just gets sold on - sheikhs don't pay for repairs. And the "fact" (do you have proper evidence?) that the car was owned by one of the Maktoums doesn't actually mean it was ever driven by one of them, or that they even knew they had it
I can say for fairly certain that it was owned by a Sheikh. Before buying the car I was adament on seeing some service history so we took the car to the main dealer from where it was bought, flashed the chasis number, and the dealer (Al Tayer) printed out a very comprehensive service report which showed it had been consistently serviced and repaired (and it was there a lot!) by the dealer until 70k kms. The guy who printed out the details was taken aback when he saw who owned the car previously (the sheikh) and even showed us the original owners name on the system, and even the seller didn't know this and was surprised, and was half joking about asking for more money.

I think the condition for the age and mileage is indication enough that it has been well looked after and no expense spared. There is absolutely zlich wrong with the car, every little light and switch is working which is fairly amazing for a notoriously unreliable car brand at that age and mileage.

The seller also showed me all the paperwork for the work he has done. He has had it oil changed every 5kms for the last 20k miles, and always had all the work done by the 4x4 garage which I am told is a well respected (and expensive) garage.

That said I am not deluding myself. I have read enough horror stories about the Rovers to know something is going to break soon - just have to hope it is nothing major. You guys know any good breakdown companies in Dubai? (serious question )
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

pinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nice

Originally Posted by lionheart
Listen to that auto expert on Radio 2(?) and buy Japanese for reliability.
And put up with the horrible tacky interiors? I would rather be broken down.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by islandmom
you do know how many sheiks there are in UAE dont you? its not quite the stamp of royalty you think it is these days.
Maybe but I would have thought a Sheikh from the Al Maktoums would be a bit more exclusive...
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:01 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pinebluffvariant
Maybe but I would have thought a Sheikh from the Al Maktoums would be a bit more exclusive...
nah

even though the old RR's are a nightmare on reliability I love them - great fun to drive about it, specially when you're little like me!

I need something reliable and tough here so its a Toyota Land Cruiser, may not be plush inside but its virtually indestructable - which is what I need it for.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:17 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen surveys which say that Range Rovers are seen as the most unreliable luxury 4x4s by owners but the same owners also say they are very satisfied by their Ranges. I can understand why...
Possibly because they're company cars and hence someone else is paying for all the repair bills?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:20 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Possibly because they're company cars and hence someone else is paying for all the repair bills?
what RR's satisfy is the ego .... driving them really does give you the ultimate ego boost, thats why the drivers are essentially happy with them, even when they keep going wrong, when you get out on that road you know you're driving something nicer than virtually anyone else - a big status symbol.

I love them
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:27 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

comprehensive service report which showed it had been consistently serviced and repaired (and it was there a lot!)
Yep, that's a Range Rover... in the repair shop on a regular basis

by the dealer until 70k kms
A brand-new luxury 4x4 was constantly in and out of the repair centre in its first 43,000 miles?

That would tell me everything I needed to know. But as has been said, it's your money, so enjoy it before the first big bill comes in
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Yep, that's a Range Rover... in the repair shop on a regular basis

A brand-new luxury 4x4 was constantly in and out of the repair centre in its first 43,000 miles?

That would tell me everything I needed to know. But as has been said, it's your money, so enjoy it before the first big bill comes in
Hopefully the worst of the problems are now fixed.

Are there any good breakdown companies in Dubai?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

And put up with the horrible tacky interiors? I would rather be broken down.
the inside of a 2008 Prado is Tacky??

I beg to differ..

My friend had a 2001 RR, at least i think he had one, about 80% of the time he was scooting around in a Yaris that the garage gave him whilst fixing the RR...Especially when his suspension failed coming back from a golf outing in RAK..

Ill give you his number mate, let him give you an animated opinion of 2001 RR's..

You asked for advice, you ignored the advice, which begs the question why did you ask for advice, unless you were trying to show off cause you have bought a RR (kidding)

Good luck and god speed to you

Ill stick to my Japanese reliability thanks....
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any good breakdown companies in Dubai?
nice to see you're confident about your new purchase, lol...

MM,
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt call the interior of a Prado stylish. Well made yes but completely devoid of style.

you can't always go by reputations of cars. I expected to have a few problems with my Yank Capri Ghia but so far have had a year without problems.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:35 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I wouldnt call the interior of a Prado stylish. Well made yes but completely devoid of style.

you can't always go by reputations of cars. I expected to have a few problems with my Yank Capri Ghia but so far have had a year without problems.
who cares what it looks like on the inside anyway....
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
looking at your recent purchase obviously not you
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:04 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MataHari
Noone except the person who owns it................lol
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:08 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Slightly off-topic, but can anyone give me their experience of dealing with 4x4 Motors? Am considering buying used as opposed to new, more car for less money, but am a bit concerned about after care from used dealers here....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.