Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

2001 Range Rover what do you think?

2001 Range Rover what do you think?

Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

pinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nice
Default Re: 2001 Range Rover what do you think?

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Range Rovers are notorious money pits. One of the reasons why they're so popular here is that dishdashes buy them brand-new on very-long-term finance and them swap them for a new one when the free servicing period runs out, leaving some other mug to pick up the typical RR servicing charges (easily around 7000 dhs even for something quite basic; owning a RR seems to mark you out as someone who can be fleeced).

A friend who has a 3-year-old second-hand one has had nothing but problems with it, including a gearbox rebuild which cost her over 20,000 dhs. It looks nice inside and out though.

RRs certainly make you feel a bit pampered and special, but they're bloody awful for reliability and I personally don't like the way they drive; they've got all the poise of a beached whale. If you want a luxury 4x4, I'd go for a Lexus or a Merc - you get all the toys and far fewer of the problems.
Thanks for the info, it is nice inside and out which is the main driver for why I want to buy it. Still in two minds. Will look around to see what else I can buy for the money. Want to pay for a car with part of my housing allowance for the year so want to keep it under 50-60k and am keen on a 4x4. Any other cars you think I should look at for that price range?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
dont think you can get Comp insurance on any car over 5 years old.
Some of them will go as far as 7 years,but, it will be a case that you're with them with your car from day 1 and you have a no-clams history...
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinebluffvariant
Thanks for the info, it is nice inside and out which is the main driver for why I want to buy it. Still in two minds. Will look around to see what else I can buy for the money. Want to pay for a car with part of my housing allowance for the year so want to keep it under 50-60k and am keen on a 4x4. Any other cars you think I should look at for that price range?
Preferences and age range???
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

pinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Confucius
Preferences and age range???
After 2000, 4x4 ideally, reliable, drives well, reasonably desirable for easier sale, wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen driving it.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

After 2000, 4x4 ideally, reliable, drives well, reasonably desirable for easier sale, wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen driving it.
You can get a 2-3 yo Toyota Fortuner...My friend bought a 4 cyl brand new one for 90K...Supposed to be heavy duty since it's derived from the Hi Lux pick up...
Or, you can have a 4-5yo Pathfinder...They're also good...
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:53 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pinebluffvariant;6090578]There can't be much else that can go right?
QUOTE]

ha hhahhha hhhahahhhahaaa thats a great one that.

its a range rover, great cars but everything on them can and probably will break.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Biene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i presume there's nothing like the AA here who will check cars for you...?
i know, i know, it's bound to be a stupid question...

MM, xx
You can take it to the dealer and they will check it for you.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=shiva;6092514]
There can't be much else that can go right?
QUOTE]

ha hhahhha hhhahahhhahaaa thats a great one that.

its a range rover, great cars but everything on them can and probably will break.
Great cars? Finally someone with a good word for the RR!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That statement says it all...You're going to buy it no matter what...
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=pinebluffvariant;6092655]
Originally Posted by shiva

Well I am sorely inclined to prove you all wrong!

I am thinking about walking away from it, unless the seller agrees to share the risk of the head gasket or gear box going soon as they are going to be fairly sizeable repair jobs, otherwise I am prepared to lose the small deposit I left down.

I am also looking at some BMW 3-series coupes they are quite reliable at high mileages, loved my 2000 318ci I had back in the UK a while back. Don't see any other 4x4s I like for the price range, they either look awful or have horrible plasticy interiors so am going to leave them if I don't get the RR.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:48 am

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't touch it. I had a classic back home and that was bordering on the silly. You can buy a new Dodge Nitro here for less than 90K, cheap finance, 3 year warranty. No brainer to me!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=pinebluffvariant;6092781]

Well I am sorely inclined to prove you all wrong!

I am thinking about walking away from it, unless the seller agrees to share the risk of the head gasket or gear box going soon as they are going to be fairly sizeable repair jobs, otherwise I am prepared to lose the small deposit I left down.

I am also looking at some BMW 3-series coupes they are quite reliable at high mileages, loved my 2000 318ci I had back in the UK a while back. Don't see any other 4x4s I like for the price range, they either look awful or have horrible plasticy interiors so am going to leave them if I don't get the RR.
Can't imagine any private seller is going to be effectively offering a warranty or any come back. Who wants a knock on the door after 3 months when you have no idea what the new owner has done with it? I'd guess it has to be 'sold as seen', take it or leave it, once you hand over the dough.

Used cars are a lottery but my friend in the UK seems to be lucky. Buys them at around £1000, BMW's, Vectras, Mondeo's, runs them for a few months or year or two, never had any big problems and always seems to find older guys that are selling privately from good homes. However another friend bought a polished and smart BMW 320 to find not long after it had a cracked cylinder head and failed MOT on ABS. Had to scrap it.

That RR looks nice enough, seems to come from a good home where the owner cares and has money to spend on it. Any car could blow it's ECU and the RR is built for a fair amount of stick. Some would argue all the major faults have already been put right! It also has to be considered what is an essential repair, what can wait or you just live with?

I know some people here can easily advise 'buy new' but if you don't have the cash it's not so easy. If you don't have a lot of spare cash then wouldn't it be best to buy a relatively simple car? 'Luxury' cars tend to be complex and parts and repairs are based on the original market position.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=BlackCloud;6095629]

Can't imagine any private seller is going to be effectively offering a warranty or any come back. Who wants a knock on the door after 3 months when you have no idea what the new owner has done with it? I'd guess it has to be 'sold as seen', take it or leave it, once you hand over the dough.

Used cars are a lottery but my friend in the UK seems to be lucky. Buys them at around £1000, BMW's, Vectras, Mondeo's, runs them for a few months or year or two, never had any big problems and always seems to find older guys that are selling privately from good homes. However another friend bought a polished and smart BMW 320 to find not long after it had a cracked cylinder head and failed MOT on ABS. Had to scrap it.

That RR looks nice enough, seems to come from a good home where the owner cares and has money to spend on it. Any car could blow it's ECU and the RR is built for a fair amount of stick. Some would argue all the major faults have already been put right! It also has to be considered what is an essential repair, what can wait or you just live with?

I know some people here can easily advise 'buy new' but if you don't have the cash it's not so easy. If you don't have a lot of spare cash then wouldn't it be best to buy a relatively simple car? 'Luxury' cars tend to be complex and parts and repairs are based on the original market position.
I agree with all the above. By the way I have bought the car. I spoke to another RR owner in Dubai who gave me advice about what to watch out for and tips for cheap parts and good RR garages. Supposedly there is a RR scrapyard in Sharjah where you can pick up cheap parts. And there is a huge following of RR on the net offering free advice for problems.

I bought the car today for AED 43k. Took it to the garage before where we got printout of all the work done to the car in terms of servicing and maintenance. It originally belonged to a Sheik from the Al Maktoum family (can't remember the whole name!) which it explains its good condition and why it had little wrong with it at that mileage. So far so good, fingers crossed on the problems, and even if i do have problems, I think it is a lot of car for the money.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree with all the above. By the way I have bought the car. I spoke to another RR owner in Dubai who gave me advice about what to watch out for and tips for cheap parts and good RR garages. Supposedly there is a RR scrapyard in Sharjah where you can pick up cheap parts. And there is a huge following of RR on the net offering free advice for problems.

I bought the car today for AED 43k. Took it to the garage before where we got printout of all the work done to the car in terms of servicing and maintenance. It originally belonged to a Sheik from the Al Maktoum family (can't remember the whole name!) which it explains its good condition and why it had little wrong with it at that mileage. So far so good, fingers crossed on the problems, and even if i do have problems, I think it is a lot of car for the money.

Told you that you'll buy it regardless...
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Told you that you'll buy it regardless...
well...he quite rightly ingored your advice, lol...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.