British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   2 people you never see together... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/2-people-you-never-see-together-660895/)

Bahtatboy Mar 24th 2010 8:48 am

2 people you never see together...

OK, to finally refute earlier allegations that my real name is Sutcliffe:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8583782.stm

Odd, isn't it, how someone who killed 13 people won't "ever be released under any circumstances" but in another part of the UK someone who murders 270 is released after 21 years. Mind you, there might have been a couple of flaws in the trial of the latter...

lionheart Mar 24th 2010 9:00 am

Re: 2 people you never see together...

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8443858)
Odd, isn't it, how someone who killed 13 people won't "ever be released under any circumstances" but in another part of the UK someone who murders 270 is released after 21 years. Mind you, there might have been a couple of flaws in the trial of the latter...

Quite right too as his story would make him a millionaire. So who is the other murderer you are talking about?

Bahtatboy Mar 24th 2010 9:03 am

Megrahi, he of Lockerbie infamy.

TGFKASE Mar 24th 2010 9:23 am

Lionheart and Shadya....!!

TGFKASE Mar 24th 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8443858)
OK, to finally refute earlier allegations that my real name is Sutcliffe:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8583782.stm

Any Scot will tell you that what he did was abhorrent, affecting not only te 259 onboard Pan Am 103 but the 11 residents of Lockerbie killed that night.

I was in Lockerbie the following weekend for a competition, which was cancelled at the last minute due to the fact they were using the ice rink as a morgue.

However, I do not believe that the blame for the release of Megrahi can be placed 100% at Scotlands door. The stories that emanated from London about deals between Qaddafi and the British (not Scottish) government cannot be dismissed.

Did the British Government 'persuade' Kenny MacAskill that it was in 'Britains' interests to release Megrahi????

Inselaffen Mar 24th 2010 10:31 am

there was definite influence from Westminster but it was the scotch legal system which allowed him to be released.

littlejimmy Mar 24th 2010 11:02 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8443943)
Any Scot will tell you that what he did was abhorrent, affecting not only te 259 onboard Pan Am 103 but the 11 residents of Lockerbie killed that night.

I was in Lockerbie the following weekend for a competition, which was cancelled at the last minute due to the fact they were using the ice rink as a morgue.

However, I do not believe that the blame for the release of Megrahi can be placed 100% at Scotlands door. The stories that emanated from London about deals between Qaddafi and the British (not Scottish) government cannot be dismissed.

Did the British Government 'persuade' Kenny MacAskill that it was in 'Britains' interests to release Megrahi????

The talk I've heard involves the first letters of Bingo and Parsnips.

TGFKASE Mar 24th 2010 11:03 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8444105)
The talk I've heard involves the first letters of Bingo and Parsnips.

Funnily enough I am currently heavily involved in arrranging for staffing etc for the new Libyan office of my employers, a well known oil-services company

Bahtatboy Mar 24th 2010 11:05 am

[QUOTE=TGFKASE;8443943]Any Scot will tell you that what he did was abhorrentQUOTE]

I don't see why you need a Scot to say it, anybody with an ounce of humanity in them would say it.

I think the real question is: Did he do it?

TGFKASE Mar 24th 2010 11:08 am

[QUOTE=Bahtatboy;8444116]

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8443943)
Any Scot will tell you that what he did was abhorrentQUOTE]

I don't see why you need a Scot to say it, anybody with an ounce of humanity in them would say it.

I think the real question is: Did he do it?

I think, after you posted but in another part of the UK someone who murders 270 is released after 21 years it pretty much needed a person from that other part of the UK to respond.

littlejimmy Mar 24th 2010 11:12 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8444112)
Funnily enough I am currently heavily involved in arrranging for staffing etc for the new Libyan office of my employers, a well known oil-services company

Ooh. :o

Confucius Mar 24th 2010 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8444112)

Shoot down the plane over Benghazi and we'll call it even...