British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   13 year old boy in UK becomes a dad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/13-year-old-boy-uk-becomes-dad-591441/)

Nic1 Feb 15th 2009 3:02 pm

Re: 13 year old boy in UK becomes a dad

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7287334)
it gets worse though...now there are two other teenage boys saying the baby might be theirs...
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090215/...r-dba1618.html

MM, xx

OMG - that is scarey. I feel quite sorry for her - what sort of life will she/does she have ? My DD would be dead . . . . .

N

commander Feb 15th 2009 3:04 pm

Spugsy, seriously you have never heard of shannon mathews?

I'm ****ing staggered..

Confucius Feb 15th 2009 5:45 pm

So when will The Dean claim that he's the father???I don't want to wait until he's back...

Inselaffen Feb 16th 2009 1:06 am

seems she is the neighbourhood bike!

and oh what a surprise. Max Clifford is now involved!

bimcnorth Feb 16th 2009 3:14 am

Welcome to the UK anno 2009...:unsure:

Teen binge drinking culture, gang warfare, mass unemployment, highest level of teen pregnancies in Europe and a rampant drug culture.

Jim Smith Feb 16th 2009 3:53 am

I haven't been back in the UK for 2- years I guess, but perhaps Dubai has a solution to the teen pregnancies??

Have you noticed the fine selection of condoms and lubricants available in petrol stations, ENOC especially!!!!!!!!!!

However probably too much effort would be required for these people either to buy or use such tools! Remember the old writing on the wall, "buy me and stop one"!

Blue Cat Feb 16th 2009 4:07 am

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7289040)

Teen binge drinking culture, gang warfare, mass unemployment, highest level of teen pregnancies in Europe and a rampant drug culture.

put it this way I am glad that my daughter isn't in the UK. Watched a program on bullying last night, you should have seen the state of the kids!! piercings, tattoos, generally just shab.

Meow Feb 16th 2009 4:20 am

I was reading an article about this last night, including info on their respective families. Seems these two have never had any decent role models in their families and that is where many of problems of UK society stem from. There are now, in some 'families' (a loose term), three generations who exist on state benefits, have no intention of working, have little or no respect for authority and apparently no real concern for their children's future.

When children see their parents moving in and out of unhealthy relationships, having many children from multiple partners outside of marriage/a stable relationship they will consider this as normal. In the same way if no one in their family has a job that is considered normal too.

Before anyone has a go at me, I am not suggesting that children should only be born to married parents or that all the unemployed are feckless, but a combination of these factors is a major contributing factor to situations such as these arising. Couple that to the early sexualisation of children and I am sure there will be many more such cases.

One so called expert in the article, in the Sunday Times, was suggesting that there are insufficient sex education. Seems to me that there is plenty of information about sex, but not enough about relationships and the consequences.

I find it all terribly sad.

-

Spugsy Feb 16th 2009 4:27 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7287466)
Spugsy, seriously you have never heard of shannon mathews?

I'm ****ing staggered..

I have aye, just the name never rang a bell with me.

Irish Guinness Feb 16th 2009 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7289137)
I was reading an article about this last night, including info on their respective families. Seems these two have never had any decent role models in their families and that is where many of problems of UK society stem from. There are now, in some 'families' (a loose term), three generations who exist on state benefits, have no intention of working, have little or no respect for authority and apparently no real concern for their children's future.

When children see their parents moving in and out of unhealthy relationships, having many children from multiple partners outside of marriage/a stable relationship they will consider this as normal. In the same way if no one in their family has a job that is considered normal too.

Before anyone has a go at me, I am not suggesting that children should only be born to married parents or that all the unemployed are feckless, but a combination of these factors is a major contributing factor to situations such as these arising. Couple that to the early sexualisation of children and I am sure there will be many more such cases.

One so called expert in the article, in the Sunday Times, was suggesting that there are insufficient sex education. Seems to me that there is plenty of information about sex, but not enough about relationships and the consequences.

-

Me too.... it makes me very sad to see the state of our society it's the children that I feel so sorry for,what sort of future will they have!!!!

The Dean Feb 16th 2009 5:00 am

-

Seems to me that there is plenty of information about sex, but not enough about relationships and the consequences.

That comment wins today's "Wise Words Award".

Grace O Malley Feb 16th 2009 5:17 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7287455)
well maybe as they get older... i have the science book at home at the mo(catching up on work) and there is no mention of that in the section. Maybe the next textbook.

What are you on about? They dont cover it in science BB? They cover it in PHSE (or something like that) and How old is yr son? I am talking sixth form, young adults! Whats the point of talking re sex if u are not going to cover, STD's , pretty futile!

Cape Blue Feb 16th 2009 5:26 am

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7289040)

Are any of these actually worse in UK 2009 than they were in the past?

Myself, my friends and half the school I went to used to go out beering on a Saturday night at aged 15+ - this was in the 1980's, it isn't a new issue.

The UK's unemployment rate is lower than Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal etc - its been that way for quite a few years.

The UK does have the highest rate of teen pregnancies - but again, this is not suddenly a new 2009 issue, the number have been pretty static for years. http://www.poverty.org.uk/24/index.shtml

I'm not sure that the UK drug culture is worse than most other developed countries or has gotten any worse recently. http://www.drugscope.org.uk/newsande...A_08report.htm

Meow Feb 16th 2009 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 7289281)
Are any of these actually worse in UK 2009 than they were in the past?

Myself, my friends and half the school I went to used to go out beering on a Saturday night at aged 15+ - this was in the 1980's, it isn't a new issue.

The UK's unemployment rate is lower than Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal etc - its been that way for quite a few years.

The UK does have the highest rate of teen pregnancies - but again, this is not suddenly a new 2009 issue, the number have been pretty static for years. http://www.poverty.org.uk/24/index.shtml

I'm not sure that the UK drug culture is worse than most other developed countries or has gotten any worse recently. http://www.drugscope.org.uk/newsande...A_08report.htm

I don't know the statitsics, but there is definitely a change in attitude from many teenagers. More of them have less respect for authority. Yes, there have always been misbehaving teenagers, that is the way of the world, but I am sure there is an increase in the arrogant and threatening behaviour.

I'd be interested to know specifics about teenage preganancy statistics. I suspect that there are more younger mothers than before. There is quite a difference between having your first child at 18 or at 14.

-

nottmbantam Feb 16th 2009 8:44 am

-

Excellent posting Meow.

I have to agree with you entirely, there is enough info about sex education,but nothing about relationships education. Kids know about sex, and know the consequences.

My wife was always concerned that her kids (from her previous relationship) - my step kids - should see her in a healthy relationship,and wanted them to know that life is not all just about sex,its about nurturing something, and working towards it. We've been together for around seven years now and its a constant process of educating them about life in general, and just simply putting over the facts.

Emotional Intelligence to a degree, but perhaps in a simpler form than the books tend to portray it.