Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

101 alternative weekend ideas for Ramadan...

101 alternative weekend ideas for Ramadan...

Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 101 alternative weekend ideas for Ramadan...

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
No 257: Book your self into a Jeddah hospital for removal of Gall Bladder.

Sadly, its what looks to be on the horizon for yours truly. Had grown rather fond of it too, we were quite attached - be dum tisch!

Was actually looking forward to Ramadan....oh well, there's always next year I guess.
Ouch - and you've got a 10 hour drive with that to worry about?

Eish.........
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

did number 1 today.
My first dive at Musadam and it was a big disappointment

Here's a little tiddler I caught whilst I was under the water
Attached Thumbnails 101 alternative weekend ideas for Ramadan...-img_1351e.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
did number 1 today.

So what? I do a Number One every day...........
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

so does Ramadan make that much of a difference to your lives? it doesn't really change mine that much, only the fact that Barracuda is closed and even that isn't the end of the world, all the MMi's are open if you fancy a drink and the hotel bars after 7. Kids are at school, shorter hours but even still no hardship. The roads are quieter (good thing), malls are quiet and most of them have somewhere open for lunch (apart from IBN). You can't smoke in public, eg the car - never do anyway. Can't have a drink in the car - not the end of the world either, have one before you leave. Can still go swimming everyday and have lunch (lakes club open). Apart from the cancellation of Friday brunches, and it is only 4 Fridays out of a year, and I don't brunch that often anyway, it really isn't going to make a blind bit of difference.

Weekends - get off the beaten track and explore the UAE, take lunch with you, you are hardly going to bunch into too many practising Muslims out in the Dessert. Enjoy!

Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
so does Ramadan make that much of a difference to your lives? it doesn't really change mine that much, only the fact that Barracuda is closed and even that isn't the end of the world, all the MMi's are open if you fancy a drink and the hotel bars after 7. Kids are at school, shorter hours but even still no hardship. The roads are quieter (good thing), malls are quiet and most of them have somewhere open for lunch (apart from IBN). You can't smoke in public, eg the car - never do anyway. Can't have a drink in the car - not the end of the world either, have one before you leave. Can still go swimming everyday and have lunch (lakes club open). Apart from the cancellation of Friday brunches, and it is only 4 Fridays out of a year, and I don't brunch that often anyway, it really isn't going to make a blind bit of difference.

Weekends - get off the beaten track and explore the UAE, take lunch with you, you are hardly going to bunch into too many practising Muslims out in the Dessert. Enjoy!

BC, I have a colleague who doesn't go swimming in Ramadan during daylight...... in case he swallows a drop of water.......... honestly.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:11 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: 101 alternative weekend ideas for Ramadan...

Not impressed, where it it's laser?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:26 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 101 alternative weekend ideas for Ramadan...

Originally Posted by weescot
11. ... any more?
Learn Arabic in 30 days?

Alternativly amazon.com has a good selection of books that can be read while relaxing in peace and quiet.

As for the kids - Chloroform .
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

My aim is to break my previous personal record of shagging 75 women in an hour...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Wink Re: 101 alternative weekend ideas for Ramadan...

Originally Posted by Confucius
My aim is to break my previous personal record of shagging 75 women in an hour...
Lasting 48 seconds, that would be a new record for you.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Lasting 48 seconds, that would be a new record for you.
Don't be silly!!! I need 15 second breaks after each and every one...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
BC, I have a colleague who doesn't go swimming in Ramadan during daylight...... in case he swallows a drop of water.......... honestly.

talk about going over the top
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

did number 1 today.
Was it Dibba side? Agree not brilliant viz - whihc sites? Try Khasab next - was there last weekend. Viz much better and saw 5 turtles and 4 eagle rays on one dive!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Was it Dibba side? Agree not brilliant viz - whihc sites? Try Khasab next - was there last weekend. Viz much better and saw 5 turtles and 4 eagle rays on one dive!
Yes it was the Dibba side. Did Lima Rock and the Cave. But by the time me and my buddy reached the Cave mouth we were both on 50bar so we had to surface while a couple of others wet through the cave.

Biggest thing we saw was some batfish. no sharks no turtles and the vis was pretty poor.

Doubt I will have chance to do Khasab. Leaving Dubai on 27th September. Pity is that my diving gear won't arrive in Singapore until the end of October and that will be when the diving season closes for 4-5 months out there
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it was the Dibba side. Did Lima Rock and the Cave. But by the time me and my buddy reached the Cave mouth we were both on 50bar so we had to surface while a couple of others wet through the cave.

Biggest thing we saw was some batfish. no sharks no turtles and the vis was pretty poor.

Doubt I will have chance to do Khasab. Leaving Dubai on 27th September. Pity is that my diving gear won't arrive in Singapore until the end of October and that will be when the diving season closes for 4-5 months out there
The Caves is a bit over rated IMHO, but Lima rock is OK when the viz is OK. Shame it wasn't for you :-( I have a dive trip contact in Singapore - you can easily do a weekend trip to Timoan island . Not sure when the rainy season there ends. I can PM detials if you'd like?

Good luck with the packing and the move.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Caves is a bit over rated IMHO, but Lima rock is OK when the viz is OK. Shame it wasn't for you :-( I have a dive trip contact in Singapore - you can easily do a weekend trip to Timoan island . Not sure when the rainy season there ends. I can PM detials if you'd like?

Good luck with the packing and the move.
thanks. would be good to have the contact
Palau Tioman is supposed to be pretty good. But monsoon season starts end October until mid-end March. May try a dive in Singapore which is still open but vis is supposed to be very poor - 2m max.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.