British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   100000km service - where to go ??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/100000km-service-where-go-572306/)

JTA_MRALL Nov 10th 2008 3:53 pm

100000km service - where to go ???

Hey guys & gals,

Does anyone know where i could possibly go to get a 100000km service on ford focus. Just bought it, and still pretty new in dubai. Took my car to AAA before and they just ripped me off.. I think they are way to expensive! Apparently in the 100000km service you need to change belts and timings or something like that :confused:... trying not to sound stupid:blink:, please excuse me but I have absolutely no clue about cars :o.

So does anyone know of a decent Mechanic, that wont rip off a woman driver? and does a proper job for a good price .. hehee. :p

any help is really appreciated....

Roadking Nov 10th 2008 6:24 pm

Re: 100000km service - where to go ???

Originally Posted by JTA_MRALL (Post 6959048)
Hey guys & gals,

Does anyone know where i could possibly go to get a 100000km service on ford focus. Just bought it, and still pretty new in dubai. Took my car to AAA before and they just ripped me off.. I think they are way to expensive! Apparently in the 100000km service you need to change belts and timings or something like that :confused:... trying not to sound stupid:blink:, please excuse me but I have absolutely no clue about cars :o.

So does anyone know of a decent Mechanic, that wont rip off a woman driver? and does a proper job for a good price .. hehee. :p

Al Tayer are the agents and will probably offer a deal on the service. With so many copy parts, sometimes better to get it done at the "real" supplier.
AAA are a recovery company, aren't they?:confused:

Confucius Nov 10th 2008 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 6959398)
Al Tayer are the agents and will probably offer a deal on the service. With so many copy parts, sometimes better to get it done at the "real" supplier.
AAA are a recovery company, aren't they?:confused:

AAA have their garages...In Al Quoz if Im not mistaken...

Confucius Nov 10th 2008 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by JTA_MRALL (Post 6959048)
Hey guys & gals,

Try going to Technical Resources, Max Garage... Mind you, your car is not top stuff so they may be a bit reluctant...
Nevertheless, you should budget a bit more than 2500 for your job...Better to do a full service and maintenance jobby on 100K and drive with peace of minf from then on...

typical Nov 11th 2008 3:12 am

Al Tayer aren't cheap, but do manage to ask permission before doing anything... quick to report additional problems they find, too.

They even tried to talk me out of doing work I'd asked them to do, on the basis they didn't feel it was necessary :eek:

Simao Nov 11th 2008 7:20 am

yeah you need to change engine belts (not sure if that is the correct technical term). My car cost me around 3k when I went for the 100k checkup. I think its normal.

Charismatic Nov 11th 2008 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Simao (Post 6961135)
yeah you need to change engine belts (not sure if that is the correct technical term). My car cost me around 3k when I went for the 100k checkup. I think its normal.

Timing belts? Cam belts? Fan belts? Transmission belts? :confused:

Cham128 Nov 11th 2008 7:57 am

a ford focus lasted that long? i'm impressed

Simao Nov 11th 2008 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6961179)

I think it was transmission belts. They mentioned something about gear and shifting stuff like that. I am so not an expert on cars. I know how to drive sure but my other non driving skills can be summarized in only openeing the gas hole (when you need to fill gas) and.. that's it.

Charismatic Nov 11th 2008 8:34 am

Only cam and fan belts need changing usually (cam belts are especially important because they keep fast moving bits of metal in perfect sync, snap and the engine has had it). If a transmission belt snaps you'll just lose the ability to engage 1st gear in "Drive", just inconvienient as most automatic cars will allow you to manually select.

Really all they do is flush the cars fluids, changing a the cam and fan belts, check the tirewear/suspension geometry and fix any niggles you feel with the car. If you get a "clicking" sound at full lock they may also change the CV joints (they tend to start to wear around 100,000km but it depends on the car and driving style). Then charge you an arm and a leg.

Confucius Nov 11th 2008 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6961179)

Originally Posted by Simao (Post 6961255)
I think it was transmission belts. They mentioned something about gear and shifting stuff like that. I am so not an expert on cars. I know how to drive sure but my other non driving skills can be summarized in only openeing the gas hole (when you need to fill gas) and.. that's it.

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6961287)
Only cam and fan belts need changing usually (cam belts are especially important because they keep fast moving bits of metal in perfect sync, snap and the engine has had it). If a transmission belt snaps you'll just lose the ability to engage 1st gear in "Drive", just inconvienient as most automatic cars will allow you to manually select.

Really all they do is flush the cars fluids, changing a the cam and fan belts, check the tirewear/suspension geometry and fix any niggles you feel with the car. If you get a "clicking" sound at full lock they may also change the CV joints (they tend to start to wear around 100,000km but it depends on the car and driving style). Then charge you an arm and a leg.

Cam belt IS Timing belt...
Usually they change all belts during Major Service...VW does its major service on 60K intervals...Dont know about other brands though...
My old Golf did 140K on the original CV joints...But, I once had to nurse it to a garage to overhaul the auto-transmission clutches...Cost me 5K at a company called Dexol...They have in SHJ as well as Rashidiya/Ras Al Khor side...The head mechanos are Armenians...The Babas of mechanos...Word...

JTA_MRALL Nov 11th 2008 4:45 pm

Wow thanks~! :thumbsup: you guys are great! I think I will call Al Tayer and get a approxiamate quote first before sending the car! Then maybe get a guy to take it for me, maybe they will charge me less if a guy takes it... thanks for all the info on the belts... maybe I wont sound such a girl when I do find a place.. ;)