British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   "The 100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/100-greatest-guitarists-all-time-746011/)

The Dean Jan 24th 2012 1:38 am

"The 100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time"

........... as chosen by Rolling Stone magazine.

This thread will contain a random selection of live performances by those in the list. Enjoy...... and keep music live.

100: Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham...... "glistening harmonized leads, crisply snapping chords and frenetic arpeggiated breakdowns", apparently......

The Dean Jan 24th 2012 1:50 am

Re: "The 100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time"

99: Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore...... "indie rock's premier guitar radical" .... "blasting out feedback-swirled punk jams":

mentalist Jan 24th 2012 5:00 am

Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Rory Gallagher
Gary Moore
Peter Frampton
George Harrison
Carlos Santana

Boomhauer Jan 24th 2012 5:12 am

John Frusciante
Solo at start is a must listen.Just soo bloody lovely.

The Dean Jan 24th 2012 7:18 am

Other contributions welcome....... but I'll continue to run through the magazine's list (which includes a few I've never heard of).

Lost a bit of cred already though - their Top 100 list doesn't include Hank Marvin...........

DustyBits Jan 24th 2012 8:03 am

As previously mentioned plus :

Robert Johnson
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Joe Walsh

DB

mentalist Jan 24th 2012 9:42 am

Just had a look at the results and, other than the top three, many of their selections are dodgy to say the least. Sorry but the Americans know bugger all about proper music. After all, they voted "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" as the second best Beatles song of all time. Doh!

Bongoman2 Jan 24th 2012 9:43 am

My picks for who must be on the list:

Jimmy Page
BB King
Mike McCready
The Edge
Roger Waters
Jack White
Duane Allman
Keith Richards

mentalist Jan 24th 2012 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Bongoman2 (Post 9861757)
My picks for who must be on the list:
Jimmy Page
BB King
Mike McCready
The Edge
Roger Waters
Jack White
Duane Allman
Keith Richards

They appear to have picked Dave Gilmour rather than Roger Waters. Not sure if the latter may have been more of a bassist. Excuse my ignorance but I was always in the Led Zeppelin camp rather than Pink Floyd in my younger days.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 24th 2012 10:56 am

Scamp - on Lead air Guitar

giddyup Jan 24th 2012 5:23 pm

you wont get a better bass than John Entwistle IMHO

either this or the My Generation solo are brilliant

The Dean Jan 25th 2012 1:52 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9861822)
They appear to have picked Dave Gilmour rather than Roger Waters. Not sure if the latter may have been more of a bassist. Excuse my ignorance but I was always in the Led Zeppelin camp rather than Pink Floyd in my younger days.

Gilmour is/was Pink Floyd's guitarist. And utterly brilliant. Waters couldn't tie Gilmour's shoelaces - why would you include him (and yes, "more of" a bassist)?

I don't accept the general criticism of Americans' lack of appreciation of music (they invented most of it) but more of that another time.

The Dean Jan 25th 2012 1:58 am

Meanwhile...........

98: Alex Lifeson of Rush ("a seamless mix of lush arpeggios and rock crunch").... thought he'd be higher than 98 actually..........

Bongoman2 Jan 25th 2012 3:47 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9863610)
Gilmour is/was Pink Floyd's guitarist. And utterly brilliant. Waters couldn't tie Gilmour's shoelaces - why would you include him (and yes, "more of" a bassist)?

I don't accept the general criticism of Americans' lack of appreciation of music (they invented most of it) but more of that another time.

Can I recant my Waters and say I actually meant Gilmour. Their reclusiveness always meant I got them mixed up. Some of Gilmours experiments with synths in early 70's was way ahead of their time.

The Dean, will you only be posting 1 song at a time? or would you like a hand to populate the thread?

Max the Dog Jan 25th 2012 5:09 am

Alan Holdworth!