Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

In 10 years there will be

In 10 years there will be

Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:43 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In 10 years there will be

Oz:
The first Australian Renewable Energy Index, produced by Green Energy Markets, finds the sector will generate enough power to run 90% of homes once wind and solar projects under construction in 2016-17 are completed.

Different dynamics from those in the UK, but this is where the world is headed, and in 10 years the energy landscape will be dramatically different.

I'll get off my hobby horse now.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...stralian-homes
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Oz:
The first Australian Renewable Energy Index, produced by Green Energy Markets, finds the sector will generate enough power to run 90% of homes once wind and solar projects under construction in 2016-17 are completed.

Different dynamics from those in the UK, but this is where the world is headed, and in 10 years the energy landscape will be dramatically different.

I'll get off my hobby horse now.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...stralian-homes
You sound like my boss.

And I kind of agree... but there is virtually no money to be made in it - unless you crack storage.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The technology's already there to start for some renewable sources, particularly wind for UK. Solar PV is also highly relevant and feasible (you don't need direct sunlight).

We really don't need Hinkley. After Fukushima, Japan shut down all its nuclear reactors, which had been supplying 30% of all electricity. There were no black-outs. The country adapted.
I don't disagree at all with trying more renewable ones, as long as there's a sensible return for the investment, otherwise the points about Hinkley being pricey are moot as well.
Mum's leccy bills are zilch since she's had the panels put up. She's just sensible about when she uses big items like dishwasher and washing machine etc. I honestly can't fathom how they aren't everywhere on every new build in every town / village / city on earth. The cost decreases per unit with economies of scale and that saving is passed on to the buyer / end user who then benefits from it and doesn't notice that the house is 265,000 quid instead of 255,000 (for example). Anyway.

If we didn't need the power, why build it?

Japan could cut it's energy consumption by turning off some of the lights on the streets in major cities. The Glico man alone has probably cost millions, right?

Besides the boring (turning all the lights off), how did they adapt? More fossil type plants?

Supply, yeah, my mistake....I just read that the world currently has about 450 reactors producing c10% of the energy globally. That's a huge amount from not that many plants, compared to other sources I'm sure it's per-unit-contribution is quite good?

How?
Through work and a deal. Too long winded to explain but contributed towards my bonus
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:57 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You sound like my boss.

And I kind of agree... but there is virtually no money to be made in it - unless you crack storage.
The saddle's still warm...

D'you think the London Array's not making money for its investors? DONG -- who know what they're doing -- are cracking on with Hornsea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornsea_Wind_Farm

Storage hasn't been cracked yet, but there's a variety of solutions. Musk has nailed his colours firmly to the lithium-ion mast. The UK Govt last month made a tepid, timid step forward with its £70 million contribution to Smart Energy: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/funding-...energy-systems. It'll come, both at domestic / community / industry level, and at grid level.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:06 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Scamp
I don't disagree at all with trying more renewable ones, as long as there's a sensible return for the investment, otherwise the points about Hinkley being pricey are moot as well. See my comments above re the London Array and Hornsea. Relatively short pay-back periods, albeit at a cost to the consumer (similar to that for Hinkley), but medium to long term the benefits are significant.
Mum's leccy bills are zilch since she's had the panels put up. She's just sensible about when she uses big items like dishwasher and washing machine etc. Incentivise, coerce, force others to do likewise: that's responsible government. I honestly can't fathom how they aren't everywhere on every new build in every town / village / city on earth. Take a Google look at some towns in Germany -- every home has them. The cost decreases per unit with economies of scale and that saving is passed on to the buyer / end user who then benefits from it and doesn't notice that the house is 265,000 quid instead of 255,000 (for example). Yep. And Trump's denuding the industry in the US. Anyway.

If we didn't need the power, why build it? Of course we need it (the power), but it's going to be 10 years till it comes on stream (EDF's projection is 2025, but that's not realistic.) We could take Hinkley out of the mix.

Japan could cut it's energy consumption by turning off some of the lights on the streets in major cities. The Glico man alone has probably cost millions, right?

Besides the boring (turning all the lights off), how did they adapt? More fossil type plants? In the short term, yes, on the supply side. On the demand size the populace got on board.

Supply, yeah, my mistake....I just read that the world currently has about 450 reactors producing c10% of the energy globally. That's a huge amount from not that many plants, compared to other sources I'm sure it's per-unit-contribution is quite good? Indeed. Until one blows up, ****s an entire region, and causes jitters worldwide.

Through work and a deal. Too long winded to explain but contributed towards my bonus Every cloud has a silver lining.
#EcoWarrior.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The saddle's still warm...

D'you think the London Array's not making money for its investors? DONG -- who know what they're doing -- are cracking on with Hornsea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornsea_Wind_Farm

Storage hasn't been cracked yet, but there's a variety of solutions. Musk has nailed his colours firmly to the lithium-ion mast. The UK Govt last month made a tepid, timid step forward with its £70 million contribution to Smart Energy: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/funding-...energy-systems. It'll come, both at domestic / community / industry level, and at grid level.
Money is made by the wind farm and its investors. There is a massive unaccounted subsidy in the overall chain that is never considered. I.e the network and unused standby power capacity. This makes it unstainable until these solutions are found.

Long term these guys will also lose out in the end, when we can buy panels in BnQ and put them on the roof using a man and van contractor they will also die. That day isn't far off.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 2:20 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Money is made by the wind farm and its investors. There is a massive unaccounted subsidy in the overall chain that is never considered. I.e the network and unused standby power capacity. This makes it unstainable until these solutions are found.

Those subsidies already exist. Whether it's Hinkley that supplies or several Hornseas, the situation doesn't change -- until storage happens, and the unused standby becomes truly redundant. The network has to change anyway, and will.

Long term these guys will also lose out in the end, when we can buy panels in BnQ and put them on the roof using a man and van contractor they will also die. That day isn't far off. One technology isn't going to replace all others. Domestic Solar PV will go a long way to satisfy normal domestic demands, but even though direct sunlight isn't required northern UK's dismal weather probably still won't cut it unless you have a massive roof. Industry, commerce, hospitals and the like need grid input, so the demand for major generating plants will still be there. EVs are likely to increase demand overall, so the big players will still be important. The key is to get the generation mix right, and streamline the demand side: persuade, coerce, force -- whatever it takes.
See the light, man.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Peace on earth?
Hoverboards?
Time travel?
A museum dedicated to Gary Barlow?
A nuclear apocalypse?
WWIII in Europe thanks to Brexit?
Driverless cars everywhere?

Anyone got any predictions?
They're mine. Sort of.
I predict that in 10 years most of the board won't be looking the same.

We will have viable but maybee not commerical thorium reactors.

Music will be ever crappier

Facebook would have gone kaput

Walmart will legitimately rival Amazon for online sales

The women's restrooms at Dubai airport will still have long lines.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boomhauer

We will have viable but maybee not commerical thorium reactors.

Music will be ever crappier

I love modern music, always have (expect around 2007-2008 when it was utter shit thanks to Coldplay/ The Verve etc. and the clones).

I've never understood how people lose track of modern music and get stuck in an era... I have a beautiful fun female friend of a similar age, who is stuck listening to music 15 years old, I find that odd.

And I really hope we see advancement in fusion before further development of fission reactors.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 7:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I love many eras of music. Current stuff has good and bad just like other genres and eras have good and bad. Like cars or politics or whatever.

Anyway.

10yrs time I think we'll have robots doing shit for us. There'll be much more in terms of 'driverless' type environments. Automation in so many more working practices too.

What I'd love to see is a huge, global shift to a 4 day working week.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 8:30 am
Hit 16's

What I'd love to see is a huge, global shift to a 4 day working week.
Maybe for desk jockeys, but the only way it would work (which it won't) for manufacturing, construction and service industries is for multiple (not just 2) people filling one position. Robotics will reduce the need for workers in many industries, but you still need to supervise every day. And for those in industries where finger nails get dirty and boots dusty, they'll still want to talk to and get support from the desk jockeys, and continuity (speaking to the same expert each time) is really important.

Plus the differences between work modes of Europeans and Asians mean that it might be approachable in the West, but it'd take a paradigm shift in the East which just isn't going to happen.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 8:42 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

atleast 1 major war over water
Old Aug 29th 2017, 8:56 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
atleast 1 major war over water
Yep, that's very likely. Recently topped up my water fund.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:34 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit negotiations will still be ongoing and there still won't be any significant progress.

Tying this in with the power issue, it's interesting to see the fossil fuel lobby rubbing their hands at the prospect of pulling the UK out of climate change agreements and scrapping the progress made on renewables. A bit like what's happened in the US with Trump. Conspiracy theories are on another thread, but it makes you wonder....just follow the money.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The iPhone 18

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.