Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The 10 year old supermodel

The 10 year old supermodel

Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 10 year old supermodel

Originally Posted by Sue
It's alright to start but he soon wears out his welcome. His entertainment value is very short lived
Well, I live in Dohell...ANY entertainment is welcome!
But I certainly get your point.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:19 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:45 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

i thought you were liking it there. have you changed your mind? why? i don't blame you by the way, one weekend spent there was enough for me to know that it is not somewhere i would like to live (unless i got paid a disgusting amount of money)..

edit:
forgot to talk about the topic at hand. i don't like it at all. it makes me very uncomfortable. can't we let our kids be kids for as long as it's possible? why do we need to make them more grown up than they actually are. also this kind of modelling surely feeds the sickos who prey on kids..:

Last edited by norsk; Aug 7th 2011 at 4:48 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
i thought you were liking it there. have you changed your mind? why? i don't blame you by the way, one weekend spent there was enough for me to know that it is not somewhere i would like to live (unless i got paid a disgusting amount of money)..

edit:
forgot to talk about the topic at hand. i don't like it at all. it makes me very uncomfortable. can't we let our kids be kids for as long as it's possible? why do we need to make them more grown up than they actually are. also this kind of modelling surely feeds the sickos who prey on kids..:
oh no, I never liked it here.
Am here for the cash...just like most other expats here.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 5:03 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

oh no, I never liked it here.
Am here for the cash...just like most other expats here.
i must have misunderstood..

i've heard people say it's getting worse as well. is that true? i don't see how they are going to host the world cup. it will likely be the worst world cup ever i would have thought..
Old Aug 7th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by norsk
i must have misunderstood..

i've heard people say it's getting worse as well. is that true? i don't see how they are going to host the world cup. it will likely be the worst world cup ever i would have thought..
Don't know if it's getting worse...maybe the traffic is, and Haramadan does not help that.
Oh, i wish they would get the World cup.....I'd like to see that debacle for sure...from far away of course.

People thrown into jail for being drunk, girls told to "cover themselves", only super expensive hotel rooms available, people melting in the heat, players getting heatstroke and worse, visitors wanting to enter hotel pubs or clubs being told they must get membership....oh, i could go on forever!!!

Oh, and not to forget...visitors getting the "You must respect the culture" drilled into their heads.......footie at its best, no doubt!
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:36 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Don't know if it's getting worse...maybe the traffic is, and Haramadan does not help that.
Oh, i wish they would get the World cup.....I'd like to see that debacle for sure...from far away of course.

People thrown into jail for being drunk, girls told to "cover themselves", only super expensive hotel rooms available, people melting in the heat, players getting heatstroke and worse, visitors wanting to enter hotel pubs or clubs being told they must get membership....oh, i could go on forever!!!

Oh, and not to forget...visitors getting the "You must respect the culture" drilled into their heads.......footie at its best, no doubt!
the only thing that could rescue it for the fans is if the friendship bridge to bahrain finishes on time. then they could stay in manama in decent hotels, get pissed in one of the many bars/clubs and so on...and with the train they're planning it is meant to only take 30 minutes between the two capitals so you could get away with spending only a few hours in qatar outside of the games...
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

It's debased.
No child should be dressed up in such an adult sexualised way. I have seen similar stuff here in the US with the child pagents where under 10 year olds are made up like little tarts. Just very wrong.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Aug 8th 2011 at 2:19 am.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the kids being dressed up as adults, but the child modelling shots of this little girl are lovely. I hate the child pageant thing, but admit that I put makeup on my young girls. They both dance and require stage makeup for performances. But I always try to make them still look like little girls. In fact in dancing competitions kids are judged on their costuming and music choices and if they're deemed inappropriate for the age group, can be marked down.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:43 am

WakeUp is an unknown quantity at this point

wrong, wrong and again wrong
Old Aug 8th 2011, 8:40 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Now this is a story that is slowly getting more attention.

As the cover of French Vogue (the adult one not the kids one), this 10 year old Thylane Blondeau is being tipped to be the next big thing. She has been styled like a mini adult and has caused a bit of an uproar. Is it right? She would have had a chaperone with her by the way and I am sure noone was lining up coke in front of her.

I'm torn, I like the images, I think there is a sense of irony in there, however I also know what the industry is like and think 10 is very young to be on a shoot of that nature. Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell both started at 13 and at 10 a young girl could be shooting plenty of kids product. Shed probably be too young to shoot for teen Vogue- so is it right that shes being used in this manner?

Any thoughts kids? You can see the images at the below link.

http://www.wazzup2day.com/articles/1...k6iak.facebook

and an article here
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/kids...805-1if5n.html
That first pic makes me uncomfortable, like I shouldn't be looking at it.

Second one is just weird.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 9:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

First one is a bit...wrong.

But the general sentiment...don't see an issue with it. Think its up to the kid whether they want to do this or not, with direction but not instruction from the parents.

Storm in a teacup - it's just an excuse to let a lot of people moan, think Vogue have done well there.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Hippacrocapig will become famous soon enoughHippacrocapig will become famous soon enough

My 11 old daughter showed me and stated it was 'kinda sick!' that's what I thought too!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:30 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I like the pictures. She looks like a child playing around in her midget mother’s cloths though and there is no getting away from the fact that isn’t going to be conducive to getting actual women to but cloths IMO.

Much more effective and profitable surely to wait until she is a teenage child, turn her bulimic/anorexic and then make her a model? By starting so young she will never develop the electra complex needed to become a fashion model (and studies have suggested become manic depressive later in life), she will never develop attachment issues that require her to seek male attention to compensate...Or something like that...The parents are cashing in on her potential too soon you see.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:09 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I love the photo of her on the child's mag cover, skipping through a cornfield as naturally as any other child, but the rest... even her portfolio shots, looking seductively over her shoulder, etc are just a bit wrong. They're too contrived, or if they're not, she's lost the air of innocence that 10 year olds really should have still, and that's really sad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.