1.26 and falling

Old Oct 10th 2016, 7:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: 1.26 and falling

Originally Posted by KJinDoha
House prices will need to drop for the British society at large. The question is how and when.

It is clear that the current government will not want to get on the wrong side of the landlords, so they are not regulating enough (for example to build the number of houses that is needed or to really tax landlords). Perhaps the population and economy size post brexit will help.

In any case the market will inevitably correct when Toxic mortgages, due to fundamental un-affordability and lender greed, overflow. The question is, when will this happen?
And thank goodness! It is the equities markets that caused the majority of the damage. Over stretched institutions failed, tax money bailed some banks, leading to massive job losses and a nose dive in sentiment.

At least the housing market has a tangible value and serves an every day purpose. That's why it never plummeted.

In the next correction - the equities and such like are being tightly regulated so the damage will be spread towards housing. Who does that help?... the Bankers!
Toxic mortgages played their part in the 08 crash, not just equities, they made it many times worse with the bundling of awful mortgages but the root problem was overlending.

Lots of cities are 20% landlord owned in the UK now.

I would think that at the moment there needs to be a slow down in property prices but an increase in wage inflation (or any combination that brings property in the UK back towards a sensible multiplier of average salary).
Old Oct 10th 2016, 7:57 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

At least the housing market has a tangible value and serves an every day purpose. That's why it never plummeted.
That tangibility is an illusion just as much as stocks and shares imo.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

KJinDoha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Toxic mortgages played their part in the 08 crash, not just equities, they made it many times worse with the bundling of awful mortgages but the root problem was overlending.

Lots of cities are 20% landlord owned in the UK now.

I would think that at the moment there needs to be a slow down in property prices but an increase in wage inflation (or any combination that brings property in the UK back towards a sensible multiplier of average salary).
Agree 100%

Ps. how do you quote multiple sources in one post?
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Welcome back...
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

I hope this does not come to bear. An over-leveraged housing market (excluding the reselling of that debt) is a scary reality.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:09 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back...
Cheers.

I like to throw my big oar in every now and then. Not that I am in the ME any more but this forum still has some action in it from time to time.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:14 am
Knee deep and rising

I hope this does not come to bear. An over-leveraged housing market (excluding the reselling of that debt) is a scary reality.
It's not even about leveraging after the fact, there are very few residential developments that have a linked relationship with the cost to build price. Just as share prices do not seem to have a relationship with actual earnings.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

It's not even about leveraging after the fact, there are very few residential developments that have a linked relationship with the cost to build price. Just as share prices do not seem to have a relationship with actual earnings.
Well, I don't think there are any developments where a higher build cost home is priced below a lower build cost home.

In terms of the price of housing being so much more than the build cost, I agree this is too far removed. Where do those margins go??

It is about supply and demand of course. Government should more closely manage supply at this stage, given the relationship with actual earnings. But perhaps the Brit ideal of home ownership will adjust.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Go on then what's real terms? Do you expect wages to rise while house prices are stationary, or real terms when measured against the dollar or euro?
I've missed you.

What do you think the aim of the minimum wage is? If we can also create better internal demand that will help too.

Wages have hardly increased since 2007. House prices are over 20x average earnings in some places. A crash won't come soon though - no government will allow that.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:31 am
Account Closed

Agree 100%

Ps. how do you quote multiple sources in one post?
The little square button next to the 'Quote' button on the bottom right of the post.

Cheers.

I like to throw my big oar in every now and then. Not that I am in the ME any more but this forum still has some action in it from time to time.
Where are you now then?
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much. Like the apparent value of gold.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:33 am
Knee deep and rising

Well, I don't think there are any developments where a higher build cost home is priced below a lower build cost home.

In terms of the price of housing being so much more than the build cost, I agree this is too far removed. Where do those margins go??

It is about supply and demand of course. Government should more closely manage supply at this stage, given the relationship with actual earnings. But perhaps the Brit ideal of home ownership will adjust.
About 50% of my last developments have sold way below build cost, admittedly due to the collapse of the developer in most cases. Removal of the first developer fully de-linked the cost to build from the sale price.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:37 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I've missed you.

What do you think the aim of the minimum wage is? If we can also create better internal demand that will help too.

Wages have hardly increased since 2007. House prices are over 20x average earnings in some places. A crash won't come soon though - no government will allow that.
I've missed you too habibi

Optimistically you may be right though it is hard to see how minimum wage increases could help anywhere around London though. A further smashing of the old pound may bring back in foreign investors in greater numbers again.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:38 am
Knee deep and rising

Where are you now then?
Knocking about in the neighbouring sub-continent at present.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

About 50% of my last developments have sold way below build cost, admittedly due to the collapse of the developer in most cases. Removal of the first developer fully de-linked the cost to build from the sale price.
UK housing priced way below build cost ?!? How can one find these?

I have no experience with house building, so perhaps the margins are much tighter than I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.