Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

‘Pink’ parking in KSA

‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Old Jun 23rd 2018, 11:57 am
  #1  
hnd
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
hnd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Muscat, Oman
Posts: 1,125
hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Pink women-only parking spaces appear in Saudi Arabia | Daily Mail Online

hnd is offline  
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 3:43 pm
  #2  
 
nonthaburi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Buraydah , Saudi Arabia
Posts: 2,297
nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Like anyone takes any notice of the lines anyway. Regularly see one car take up three spaces. Be interesting to see if the women have the same talent.
nonthaburi is offline  
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 5:04 pm
  #3  
"Insert witty title here"
 
Irishbeekeeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: dxb
Posts: 2,235
Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Although I havent seen them anywhere else around Dubai, but there is one outside the Police Station in BurDubai. Its in a well spaced area with ample space around it so I think its a good idea.
Irishbeekeeper is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2018, 6:46 am
  #4  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 22,739
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper View Post
Although I havent seen them anywhere else around Dubai, but there is one outside the Police Station in BurDubai. Its in a well spaced area with ample space around it so I think its a good idea.
Good idea in what sense?
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2018, 10:22 am
  #5  
"Insert witty title here"
 
Irishbeekeeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: dxb
Posts: 2,235
Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Well women should be shown the courteousness they deserve, especially on the road. I guess I am old school like that. And here in this bur dubai area, most roads on the inside are one-way and crowded at all times. So it really is very difficult to find a parking spot close to where you want to be. Coupled with the fact that the chances of a female driver also carrying a baby on board are much much higher than a man, then it becomes a great idea to have a reserved parking spot for females only so if the child needs to be taken out of the car, atleast he/she doesnt need to be carried / walked for too long (especially with this regions climate as it is)
Irishbeekeeper is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2018, 10:36 am
  #6  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 22,739
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper View Post
Well women should be shown the courteousness they deserve, especially on the road. I guess I am old school like that. And here in this bur dubai area, most roads on the inside are one-way and crowded at all times. So it really is very difficult to find a parking spot close to where you want to be. Coupled with the fact that the chances of a female driver also carrying a baby on board are much much higher than a man, then it becomes a great idea to have a reserved parking spot for females only so if the child needs to be taken out of the car, atleast he/she doesnt need to be carried / walked for too long (especially with this regions climate as it is)
Old school in what way? I don't really get it. You should be nicer to women drivers than men drivers?

I dunno mate, I think it's daft. Just like those parent and child spaces you refer to, they're ****ing stupid and cause such animosity that the only solution is to bin them off or put them at the back of the car park to see how much parents value them.
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2018, 10:38 am
  #7  
Shark Fisherman
 
britexpat76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Doha
Posts: 4,568
britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Old school in what way? I don't really get it. You should be nicer to women drivers than men drivers?

I dunno mate, I think it's daft. Just like those parent and child spaces you refer to, they're ****ing stupid and cause such animosity that the only solution is to bin them off or put them at the back of the car park to see how much parents value them.

I have to agree. I take great pride in taking mother and child spaces back home, If I don't steal it someone like scamp will 5 minutes after.
britexpat76 is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2018, 10:44 am
  #8  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 22,739
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Originally Posted by britexpat76 View Post
I have to agree. I take great pride in taking mother and child spaces back home, If I don't steal it someone like scamp will 5 minutes after.
Sometimes I will, sometimes I won't. I don't go out my way to take a spot like that but I disagree with the whiny self-righteousness of some parents.
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2018, 7:11 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
IKnowNothing's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: Abu Dhabi via Barcelona
Posts: 1,449
IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

When I was rich and living in Ludlow (c2004), I used to love parking my Maserati 4200 (BRG and tan leather), in the Parent and Child space outside Tescos and the looks from the NIMBYs.

Then i got junior out of his car seat and into a trolley - their looks changed like you wouldn't believe, initially it was "Rich arsehole" then "What a lovely father".

I was more the former than the latter.
IKnowNothing is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2018, 7:23 am
  #10  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 22,739
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing View Post
the looks from the NIMBYs.
They weren't bothered about the kid, people are just amazed that anyone buys a Maserati.
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2018, 4:11 pm
  #11  
...we killed the flame
 
Miss Ann Thrope's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,035
Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing View Post
When I was rich and living in Ludlow (c2004), I used to love parking my Maserati 4200 (BRG and tan leather), in the Parent and Child space outside Tescos and the looks from the NIMBYs.

Then i got junior out of his car seat and into a trolley - their looks changed like you wouldn't believe, initially it was "Rich arsehole" then "What a lovely father".

I was more the former than the latter.
Like most of your life and exploits recounted here, it's perfectly clear that all that only happened inside your head...
Miss Ann Thrope is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2018, 8:22 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
IKnowNothing's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: Abu Dhabi via Barcelona
Posts: 1,449
IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope View Post
Like most of your life and exploits recounted here, it's perfectly clear that all that only happened inside your head...
I wonder whether we'd actually get on if we met?

I don't lie (Ludlow ffs?), I'm many, many things, but I never lie.
IKnowNothing is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 7:16 am
  #13  
...we killed the flame
 
Miss Ann Thrope's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,035
Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing View Post
I wonder whether we'd actually get on if we met?

I don't lie (Ludlow ffs?), I'm many, many things, but I never lie.
Ah pet, I didn't think you'd bite quite so hard. If the English "midfield" can reel in Quintera and Cuadrado half as easily then they might be in with a shot tomorrow night...

And take me somewhere exciting in your Maserati (viz. not Ludlow) and I'm sure we'll get on fine.
Miss Ann Thrope is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 7:30 am
  #14  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 22,739
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

In other parking related news, some loaded family with 4 cars in our apartment block have decided that the unused space next to me can be the overflow to their two allocated spaces.

Having very politely asked their driver to not park like such a weapon in that space and been roundly ignored, I'm going to steal a cone from somewhere and put it in the space with a reserved sign on. Fingers crossed nobody moves in for a while but if it stops them parking in it, it would be hilarious.
Scamp is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2018, 7:24 am
  #15  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,953
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Pink’ parking in KSA

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
In other parking related news, some loaded family with 4 cars in our apartment block have decided that the unused space next to me can be the overflow to their two allocated spaces.

Having very politely asked their driver to not park like such a weapon in that space and been roundly ignored, I'm going to steal a cone from somewhere and put it in the space with a reserved sign on. Fingers crossed nobody moves in for a while but if it stops them parking in it, it would be hilarious.
why does it bother you?
Millhouse is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.