**** the poor

Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:29 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: **** the poor

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn02110.pdf

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...amilies-crisis

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/a...d-b-b-all.html

http://socialwelfare.bl.uk/subject-a...STMAS_2013.pdf
Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:31 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst unfortunate and uncomfortable I'm not sure it can be classed as poverty
you live with your children in a single room, with minimal access to cooking facilities, your children sharing a bathroom with strange men, witnessing drugs violence sexual assault, and tell me that is "uncomfortable" and not "poverty".
Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:51 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
you live with your children in a single room, with minimal access to cooking facilities, your children sharing a bathroom with strange men, witnessing drugs violence sexual assault, and tell me that is "uncomfortable" and not "poverty".
I'm not convinced. This is accommodation provided free of charge that is warm and safe that has bathrooms and cooking facilities. On top of this they are given an amount of money in order to spend on what they want, food, clothes whatever. It is far from ideal for most of us, it is uncomfortable and probably scary, but is a million miles away from the type of poverty you see in countries where kids are dying through not having enough food.

I don't want to come across as unfeeling but from the examples you have given the safety net is working. One of the examples you have posted has said that she has to feed her kids at KFC and McDonalds ... the horror .. Plus they have free schooling and health care ...

Mina understands that the government has to save money, but wonders if they need to target people like her, who have long-term roots in the area. "I've had the same GP for 20 years, the same hospital. All my daughter's friends are here. Are we meant to change all these things?" she asks. "Suddenly they've changed all the rules. They are playing with people. They are messing around with people's lives. It's a lot of stress for a single mother."

She has told her daughter not to tell her school friends that they are living in a room in a bed and breakfast, sharing a bathroom with 10 other families. "No one in school knows. I told the teacher we had to move, but she doesn't know I'm living in this tiny room," Rana says.
So provided free of charge:

Housing
Health Care
Schooling
Food
Heating
Spending money

Howay man, it is not poverty is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty

Absolute poverty or destitution refers to the deprivation of basic human needs, which commonly includes food, water, sanitation, clothing, shelter, health care and education. Relative poverty is defined contextually as economic inequality in the location or society in which people live

Last edited by Fossildog; Apr 12th 2014 at 6:01 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-9249750.html One of our nations finest died due to poverty after bureaucratic incompetence in the safety net? I'm sure he was shirking and it was a lifestyle choice [sarcasm warning]
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:25 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm exactly not. I've raised a fair chunk of money for charity over the years through nothing but hard work.

Your life must be so miserable. I've never seen you post anything remotely positive. If someone can get people to donate for them to jump out a plane or got to Peru(?) or something and it raises money for charity it's hardly the end of the world. Definitely not cause for you to brand all young people as selfish.
Spot on.

Times have changed and people now have the opportunity to raise money for charity whilst also doing something that they want to do (my wife raised a lot of money for an orphanage in Sri Lanka by doing a parachute jump).

The Scottish whinger, however, still seems to be living in the Saudi Arabia of the 1970's.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:39 am
womble

Originally Posted by Fossildog
I'm not convinced. This is accommodation provided free of charge that is warm and safe that has bathrooms and cooking facilities. On top of this they are given an amount of money in order to spend on what they want, food, clothes whatever. It is far from ideal for most of us, it is uncomfortable and probably scary, but is a million miles away from the type of poverty you see in countries where kids are dying through not having enough food.

I don't want to come across as unfeeling but from the examples you have given the safety net is working. One of the examples you have posted has said that she has to feed her kids at KFC and McDonalds ... the horror .. Plus they have free schooling and health care ...

So provided free of charge:

Housing
Health Care
Schooling
Food
Heating
Spending money

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty
You're a troll. Bye.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

You're a troll. Bye.
Definition of 'troll'? "Someone who disagrees with someone else"??
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25287068 Most people in 'poverty' classed as having job. Most kids in 'poverty' have a working parent. 38% od the current generation is currently graduating from university so hopefully that changes. If it doesn't, then our society is a lie surely, and everything we understand about the causes of poverty, the deserving and undeserving, needs a rethink..
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Increasingly, people will only give if it involves a "fashion statement" or something for them (eg a free sponsored trip to Peru) "What is in it for me ?" is the plea of today's Yoof. The concept of Oblation is alien to them.
I agree with this to an extent, sponsoring someone to go on holiday and fulfill there life's ambition of climbing Kilimanjaro whilst raising two grand for charity seems rather redundant to me when they're spending that much or more on flights, equipment et al, and a tour company is making a nice little buck out of the deal

One of the examples you have posted has said that she has to feed her kids at KFC and McDonalds ... the horror .. Plus they have free schooling and health care ...
Does anyone have to feed here kids at KFC and McDonalds, ever? When poverty is defined as doing that, rather than kids eating out of bins or living in sewers and sniffing glue then the relativity of the hardship is obvious.

Relatively, in the context of UK or 1st world society and standards it is. In a global context it's very, very far from it.

But, yes, at least her kids aren't picking through rubbish; unlike, say the gypsy kids who are also in the UK.
But, the gypsy kids are doing so because their parents have chosen that lifestyle by rejecting the trappings of the welfare state, or at least the idea of contributing to it in anyway, and instead live on the edges of society funding themselves through levels of criminality.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's basically a debate over Absolute or Relative Poverty.

The numbers of people in the UK in absolute poverty will be very, very small.

The numbers in relative poverty - according to income gaps etc, will be a decent chunk I expect. However, according to an old BBC article, 60% of those in 'poverty' are homeowners - BBC link
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's basically a debate over Absolute or Relative Poverty.

The numbers of people in the UK in absolute poverty will be very, very small.

The numbers in relative poverty - according to income gaps etc, will be a decent chunk I expect. However, according to an old BBC article, 60% of those in 'poverty' are homeowners - BBC link
Relative poverty never goes away. It'll always be there - by its very definition it cannot be solved.

Let's face it, we'd all rather be poor in the UK than (say) India, anywhere in Africa, Philippines, or even in the world's two largest economies: USA, or China.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You're a troll. Bye.
Your dummy landed about 6ft from the pram. I'll get the maid to fetch it.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Relative poverty never goes away. It'll always be there - by its very definition it cannot be solved.

Let's face it, we'd all rather be poor in the UK than (say) India, anywhere in Africa, Philippines, or even in the world's two largest economies: USA, or China.
Exactly.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:11 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It can be termed as relative wealth and then it is instantly solved.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Look how wonderful: I am, doing all this for the poor !" Bollocks. Reminds me of that conman behind Liveaid..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.