**** the poor

Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: **** the poor

Originally Posted by Autonomy
This was written 20 years ago. By a claimant of social security.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...are?CMP=twt_gu

Sue Townsend. You might have heard of her.

Nothing much has changed since then. This article does still describe poverty.

What's changed since then? Except, perhaps, your views.
This is a bit of a strange attitude from the article:

A fat lot of good it did me; my social security payment took nine days to arrive, but by then I had taken three part-time jobs and employed two young girls as baby-sitters, and the system had beaten me. I became a working mother.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
This is a bit of a strange attitude from the article:
the system had beaten me. I became a working mother.

My eyebrows shot up too when I read that. Geez - poor cow - imagine having to be a working mother in order to escape relative poverty!

I wonder what she thought she was entitled to in order to make her write that?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Yoohoo
My eyebrows shot up too when I read that. Geez - poor cow - imagine having to be a working mother in order to escape relative poverty!

I wonder what she thought she was entitled to in order to make her write that?
I know I'm going to get slated for highlighting it too, but it's the bit that stood out the most...beyond the horrid tales of unhelpful workers.

The other bit that stood out was this (someone in the comments section highlighted it - suggesting she thought she was better and deserved more. I don't really agree with it but get their point);

I wanted to tell him that I was a literate and intelligent person, not just the young mother of those crying children – for Christ's sake, I had read every page of War and Peace. When I could afford it I read the Guardian. I was a Bessie Smith fan. I had won several prizes for verse speaking. I could read a menu in French. A poet had been in love with me. I knew how to spell and pronounce Dostoevsky. I had worked hard since I was 15.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:32 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
This was written 20 years ago. By a claimant of social security.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...are?CMP=twt_gu

Sue Townsend. You might have heard of her.

Nothing much has changed since then. This article does still describe poverty.

What's changed since then? Except, perhaps, your views.
Clearly Thatcher is to blame for making her work to support her family.

What a low point of her life, having to work to put food on her table and provide for her own kids. I especially liked the bit where she was encouraging her younger kid to lie in order to steal. But that's ok of course as she was stealing from a faceless corporation that could afford it
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:10 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I like what she wrote, it didn't read as being entitled to me more as somebody in a tough place doing what she had to survive, and looking for a little bit of empathy from the system. Which she didn't get obviously and in the end she had to be more resourceful to manage.
Whether that can be judged as the system working depends on your point of view, other people in the same situation may have not managed. Personally I could not imagine bringing young kids on a bus from office to office, and finally collecting cans on the street in order to eat.

It doesn't strike me as the actions of someone avoiding work to luxuriate on a life of benefits.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:41 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I like what she wrote, it didn't read as being entitled to me more as somebody in a tough place doing what she had to survive, and looking for a little bit of empathy from the system. Which she didn't get obviously and in the end she had to be more resourceful to manage.
Whether that can be judged as the system working depends on your point of view, other people in the same situation may have not managed. Personally I could not imagine bringing young kids on a bus from office to office, and finally collecting cans on the street in order to eat.

It doesn't strike me as the actions of someone avoiding work to luxuriate on a life of benefits.
Exactly.

I note that she gets berated but why is no one asking why the father of these children is not supporting them? She was with the father when they were born so he has equal responsibility. Obviously Sue Townsend didn't intend to be on benefits but life sometimes throws curve balls at you. Like many people she just needed some help to get back on her feet which she duly did, and very successfully.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
Exactly.

I note that she gets berated but why is no one asking why the father of these children is not supporting them? She was with the father when they were born so he has equal responsibility..
That's a very good point.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

She was with the father when they were born so he has equal responsibility.
Does that mean if you do a runner before they are born you're off the hook?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Does that mean if you do a runner before they are born you're off the hook?
*waits for some bloke to whinge about CSA payments*
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

*waits for some bloke to whinge about CSA payments*
Not at all. But, in fairness, we don't know the full story. People are good at presenting their side.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:18 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.

I note that she gets berated but why is no one asking why the father of these children is not supporting them? She was with the father when they were born so he has equal responsibility. Obviously Sue Townsend didn't intend to be on benefits but life sometimes throws curve balls at you. Like many people she just needed some help to get back on her feet which she duly did, and very successfully.
Don't always assume the negative about the fella, maybe he passed away, or maybe it was a one night stand and she never told him she was preggers.

Anyway the real point that I want to bring to the table is that I would like the word 'lease' adding to the end of the thread title. TIA.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:52 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Dumbo
Don't always assume the negative about the fella, maybe he passed away, or maybe it was a one night stand and she never told him she was preggers.

It's in the public domain and she refers to an ex-husband in the article.

Your negative statement about the woman rather proves the point though.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:59 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

It's in the public domain and she refers to an ex-husband in the article.

Your negative statement about the woman rather proves the point though.
Really? Wow, just wow.

Do ex husbands not die then?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

In the article she states that her maintenance money, presumably from her ex-husband and consisting of nine quid, didn't come through.

In 1989 would nine pounds have been enough to keep a family of four going?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:05 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Dumbo
Really? Wow, just wow.

Do ex husbands not die then?
Not hers as has been documented. It's easy to check facts in this case before making unfounded, and unfair, accusations. At the time of the story Sue Townsend had three small children, all from her ex-husband. He was not providing any financial support for HIS OWN children, so he should be as castigated as she has been in this thread.

Disappointing how many posters are quick to blame people for their misfortunes rather then looking at the full story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.