British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   *****ing roadworks in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/%2A%2A%2A%2A%2Aing-roadworks-dubai-693465/)

Ethos83 Nov 14th 2010 5:21 am

*****ing roadworks in Dubai

The DM has yet again rerouted the road that runs alongside Tecom and Greens towards Emirates Hills. Why is it that the entire three years I've been here the DM can't decide how to structure what should be a very simple, very straight road. Now we've got a wide curve into the racetrack to a brand new roundabout before curving back towards the original route.

Anyone have ideas what the plans are for this area?

The road along JBR into Al Sofouh road in front of Barasti/Westin has also been consistently ripped apart and rerouted in the last three years. Yes, I know of the proposed tram but one would think after three years of construction work we'd actually see a few meters of track by now, right? The intersection in front of the Westin is a friggin' nightmare and they make it worse every time the road is shifted.

And let's not even get started on the three roundabouts on Al Khail, especially the useless middle one.

Oh, what about the bridge to nowhere on Hessa Street towards Al Khail?

Is Defence roundabout finished? Haven't been down there in ages but it was always a nightmare.

I grasp the concept of growing pains in a growing city but it doesn't excuse what appears to be repeated cases of changing their minds and making commuters suffer endless backups and traffic jams.

kittycat1 Nov 14th 2010 5:54 am

Re: *****ing roadworks in Dubai

They are obviously reviewing the current roads from the air and changing their minds to create a prettier road system from a sky perspective, much like the butterfly junctions- they look quite pretty for roads from the aerial view.

Whats that- they aren't practical- pah who needs practical when you can have pretty ;)

Ethos are you now a bit aggressive as your missus has gone back to the UK?

Blue Cat Nov 14th 2010 5:59 am

the road will eventually a three lane carriageway coming down from TECOM, past the Greens with slips off for the Greens and the Lakes, which will have lights outside of it. When it is finished it will be superb I am sure.

MataHari Nov 14th 2010 6:14 am

Defence RA is even worse now if you want to do a Uturn to get from SZR Sharjah bound to SZR AD bound as they have rerouted it a few days ago...

Millhouse Nov 14th 2010 7:07 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8980272)
Ethos are you now a bit aggressive as your missus has gone back to the UK?

He is starting to worry about the cost of the wedding.

GuyinUAE Nov 14th 2010 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8980246)
The DM has yet again rerouted the road that runs alongside Tecom and Greens towards Emirates Hills. Why is it that the entire three years I've been here the DM can't decide how to structure what should be a very simple, very straight road. Now we've got a wide curve into the racetrack to a brand new roundabout before curving back towards the original route.

Anyone have ideas what the plans are for this area?

The road along JBR into Al Sofouh road in front of Barasti/Westin has also been consistently ripped apart and rerouted in the last three years. Yes, I know of the proposed tram but one would think after three years of construction work we'd actually see a few meters of track by now, right? The intersection in front of the Westin is a friggin' nightmare and they make it worse every time the road is shifted.

And let's not even get started on the three roundabouts on Al Khail, especially the useless middle one.

Oh, what about the bridge to nowhere on Hessa Street towards Al Khail?

Is Defence roundabout finished? Haven't been down there in ages but it was always a nightmare.

I grasp the concept of growing pains in a growing city but it doesn't excuse what appears to be repeated cases of changing their minds and making commuters suffer endless backups and traffic jams.

Ethos, it's temporary. Can't you see the road they are building next to it? They are just rerouting it each time they work on a new section of the carriageway.
What is it with people moaning about this road. In Express, residents were complaining it hasn't been worked on for a year. What utter c**p. I drive down it once a month or so and it is always different. For gods sake, they have the slowest workers in the world working on it, it's not going to change, we all knew that from the moment we got here, let em get on with it!

Blue Cat Nov 14th 2010 7:12 am

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE (Post 8980354)
Ethos, it's temporary. Can't you see the road they are building next to it? They are just rerouting it each time they work on a new section of the carriageway.
What is it with people moaning about this road. In Express, residents were complaining it hasn't been worked on for a year. What utter c**p. I drive down it once a month or so and it is always different. For gods sake, they have the slowest workers in the world working on it, it's not going to change, we all knew that from the moment we got here, let em get on with it!

slow? I think they have been quick, imagine them doing this in the UK, it would have taken years and years.

flares Nov 14th 2010 7:25 am

starting to see the fruits of the labour in Abu Dhabi. Can now get onto and off of Salam St.

co durham boy Nov 14th 2010 8:12 am

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE (Post 8980354)

Ethos has a point . The R.T.A have cancelled and wound down payments on all major road infastructure projects in Dubai .

Contractors are now been giving a monthly figure to carry out works and only to that payement figure. I just finished a road project in Dubai this year and the R.T.A were 18months behind in certifying payments to contractors.

Contractors including my Ex company pulled off projects wound down equipment and went right to the top of the food chain to get cash . The same old story came back , there is none. That's why work seems so slow all over . The parallel roads project has been redesigned and all contracts are under constraint and some are on stop.

They have a pot of money to continue but the problem is there was still an awful lot to finish and all at different contract completion stages.
Contractors are in no rush to finish anything as there's a massive chance they'll not get paid and if they do they'll be asked to take a big haircut on the money.

So one things for sure the jams will continue because they'll still be skint for the forseeable future