British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Uk Driving Licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/uk-driving-licence-820852/)

Sarah1234 Jan 9th 2014 1:47 pm

Uk Driving Licence

Hi Everyone.

I am hoping someone formerly from the UK can help me. The card part of my UK driving licence has expired ( I realize about 18 months ago) haven't got a car so have not checked it for a while. I am not sure what to do in regards to getting it renewed as I have not been back to the UK for about 2 years now and don't intend to for a while.
Someone told me that if you have been out of the UK for a while the licence expires? Is this true. Can I still get the licence renewed even if I am over here. ( I can use a relatives address in the UK if I need too).

Any advice appreciated. I did ask before about getting a St Lucian Licence which I believe I can get from Union, but will they still do this if the card part has expired??

Thanks in advance.

Pistolpete2 Jan 9th 2014 2:03 pm

Re: Uk Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Sarah1234 (Post 11070711)
Hi Everyone.

I am hoping someone formerly from the UK can help me. The card part of my UK driving licence has expired ( I realize about 18 months ago) haven't got a car so have not checked it for a while. I am not sure what to do in regards to getting it renewed as I have not been back to the UK for about 2 years now and don't intend to for a while.
Someone told me that if you have been out of the UK for a while the licence expires? Is this true. Can I still get the licence renewed even if I am over here. ( I can use a relatives address in the UK if I need too).

Any advice appreciated. I did ask before about getting a St Lucian Licence which I believe I can get from Union, but will they still do this if the card part has expired??

Thanks in advance.

Indeed being non-resident in the UK renders your UK drivers licence invalid even if current and it's an offense to pretend otherwise.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't still use it to get a St Lucia driver's licence in spite of the expiry. The licence costs EC$100 per annum indeed at Union, if bought in three-year amounts (EC$300).

If only for ID purposes :unsure:, is there no other sort of ID that you can easily put up?

BritInParis Jan 9th 2014 9:46 pm

The photocard may have expired but the licence itself is valid until your 70th birthday. Providing you have the paper counterpart you should be able to exchange it for a local licence, providing you meet the requirements.

http://mipst.com/departments/3021-ad...depts.html?p=2

lgabriel73 Jan 10th 2014 1:56 am

If you still have your paper license then you are fine since they don't expire until you are 70, however to get the card type you do have to be resident in the UK according to the website. Just use your paper version. despite what pistolpete says not being in the UK does not mean that your license is invalid. Unless your license is revoked it is still valid.

Pistolpete2 Jan 10th 2014 10:09 am

Originally Posted by lgabriel73 (Post 11071747)
If you still have your paper license then you are fine since they don't expire until you are 70, however to get the card type you do have to be resident in the UK according to the website. Just use your paper version. despite what pistolpete says not being in the UK does not mean that your license is invalid. Unless your license is revoked it is still valid.

Just explain to me how a drivers licence issued 38 years ago and showing an address that I haven't lived at in the interim can be valid in its present form.

I can't fill in the back section as required when changing address because there isn't (a resident) one.

The drivers licence says on the front that there is a maximum penalty for failing to provide an updated address.

As a result, I use my St Lucia drivers licence when driving in the UK and will update my UK one as soon as I move to the UK using Government Gateway.

lgabriel73 Jan 10th 2014 12:17 pm

You call the motor vehicle registry to provide a valid address or now you can do it in line. The address does not have to be in the paper version just in the system. Unless you're license is revoqued it suspended it will resin valid that's simply the way it is in the UK.

Pistolpete2 Jan 10th 2014 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by lgabriel73 (Post 11072172)
You call the motor vehicle registry to provide a valid address or now you can do it in line. The address does not have to be in the paper version just in the system. Unless you're license is revoqued it suspended it will resin valid that's simply the way it is in the UK.

10-4!

BritInParis Jan 10th 2014 9:46 pm

The DVLA's systems aren't set up for non-UK addresses so there's no requirement to inform them of your overseas address if you leave.

Even if the address on your licence is out of date whilst you're in the UK, it doesn't invalidate the licence, you just get fined.

feldr Jan 11th 2014 7:06 pm

If you have a 2 part licence, and have moved over to it from paper within the last 10 years CHECK the expiry date..

I changed my address in 2004, and note that it now expires May 2014 , as DVLA are now " upgrading " licences..

I think it's just doing fraud checks, as they now get the photo from your recent passport file and put it on the new one...

I'm changing my soon to be expired passport next week, so, when I send my licence for "upgrade " in a few weeks , they'll just grab the pic from that.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

Mitzyboy Jan 12th 2014 6:25 pm

Just to clarify things:

Your UK card driving licence is valid in any country that has a licence agreement with the UK, and will remain so until the picture expires (every 10 years). At that point you are unable (legally) to renew as you are no longer a UK resident.

The UK licence is subject to the laws of the country you are residing in. If you need a medical certificate in that country for instance, then it has to be done

The fact that your UK licence has not got a correct address on it is accepted by the DVLA in these circumstances.

Sarah1234 Jan 22nd 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks Everyone - much appreciated.
I do still have the paper part of the licence which runs out on my 70th Birthday so I am still legal!
I will do some more digging and decide what to do but the St Lucian $300 option could be good.

Thanks

Sarah

Mitzyboy Jan 23rd 2014 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Sarah1234 (Post 11091671)
I do still have the paper part of the licence which runs out on my 70th Birthday so I am still legal!
I will do some more digging and decide what to do but the St Lucian $300 option could be good.

Thanks

Sarah

We all have paper parts of our licences. They might show that they expire when you are 70, but in fact they need renewing every 10 years and if you dont renew them then they are invalid. If you have an old completely paper licence with no card then that is different

Pistolpete2 Jan 23rd 2014 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Sarah1234 (Post 11091671)

Thanks

Sarah

Can I ask why you want to ensure your UK drivers licence is valid/legal as your OP didn't state the reason?

Pistolpete2 Jan 23rd 2014 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 11092626)
We all have paper parts of our licences. They might show that they expire when you are 70, but in fact they need renewing every 10 years and if you dont renew them then they are invalid. If you have an old completely paper licence with no card then that is different

Quite so!

my bolding

''You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends. Your new licence will be valid from the date your application is approved not from the expiry date of your current licence.''

It doesn't look like the online application process lends itself to your fabricating address information to create the illusion that you are UK resident since DVLA require history of your residence over the last three years on top of current residence.

''Personal data

If you apply online you’ll be agreeing that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.

DVLA will confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If DVLA can’t fully verify your identity, you’ll be told what to do at the end of the application.''

Looks like they are finally integrating processes to ensure there is no abuse of residency.

hungryhorace Jan 23rd 2014 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 11092626)
We all have paper parts of our licences. They might show that they expire when you are 70, but in fact they need renewing every 10 years and if you dont renew them then they are invalid.

That's utter nonsense. The licence does NOT need to be renewed every 10 years. The photo ID is the only part that needs to be renewed, and even then not renewing this is a separate offence that does NOT impact on your holding of a driving licence.