Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Thinking Of Moving to St. Lucia

Thinking Of Moving to St. Lucia

Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

BabyLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Thinking Of Moving to St. Lucia

Hi All
I am thinking of leaving UK to live in St Lucia. I am a Uk citizen and would like to know the pro's and con's of living in St Lucia. My partner has land in St Lucia, he also is not a citizen of st lucia, I would like to know what is needed to commence work on building a home out there ie planning permission, legalities, etc. We are also planning on setting up a food business out there, near a tourist area, what are the prospects of being able to do this. Also I would like to know the general day to day life of a expat in st lucia.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:02 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking Of Moving to St. Lucia

Hi and welcome to BE. As you are asking questions about St Lucia I have moved your post from the Introductions forum to the Caribbean forum.

I hope you enjoy being part of our community. I'm not in that area myself (I'm in the US) but wanted to pop by and say hi. If you ever have any questions about using the site, please don't hesitate to let myself, a Moderator or a Concerige, pgtips, know, or you can post in our Site Feedback forum anytime.

In the meantime check out these other threads about St Lucia:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701602

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690374

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700679

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670441
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BabyLove
Hi All
I am thinking of leaving UK to live in St Lucia. I am a Uk citizen and would like to know the pro's and con's of living in St Lucia. My partner has land in St Lucia, he also is not a citizen of st lucia, I would like to know what is needed to commence work on building a home out there ie planning permission, legalities, etc. We are also planning on setting up a food business out there, near a tourist area, what are the prospects of being able to do this. Also I would like to know the general day to day life of a expat in st lucia.
Further to Sue's comments, you should consider this, which answers many of your questions and gives you the "thrust" of laws protecting the interests of St Lucians. when I first considered setting up business in St Lucia, with no concrete ideas at the time (but I am married to a St Lucian) I made an appointment to see the National Development Corporation. INITIALLY one should keep one's concrete ideas fairly close to one's chest and speak in general terms. Things take time here, remember that!

http://www.stlucia.gov.lc/faq/openin...aint_lucia.htm

Note that most new business in St Lucia focuses on real estate and tourism-related. All existing food service (import-agency type) operations here are either St Lucian-owned or St Lucian-connected. However, some restaurants/pubs are owned by non-St Lucians or by St Lucians who were not St Lucians when they started those businesses.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pistolpete2,
Thank you for your response it was very informative. I did forget that everything takes time in the carribean.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:31 am
Banned

shy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Thinking Of Moving to St. Lucia

If your partner owns property in St Lucia he would have had to apply for an alien license; the Government usually gives a person a stipulated time to build on the land after purchase is made.

If he owns the land the next step would be to have his finance and begin his building process. each case is different so he should consult a Lawyer just to ensure all his t's are dotted

If they are, he can begin his building once the Ministry of Planning approves them Get his plans, designs together and a Reliable Contractor and get to building.

I do work for a legal firm so if any assistance is required regarding this do feel free to contact me directly.

I also do real estate so if you need help purchasing property whether it be Residential or Commercial please don't hesitate
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:02 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shy1
If your partner owns property in St Lucia he would have had to apply for an alien license; the Government usually gives a person a stipulated time to build on the land after purchase is made.

If he owns the land the next step would be to have his finance and begin his building process. each case is different so he should consult a Lawyer just to ensure all his t's are dotted

If they are, he can begin his building once the Ministry of Planning approves them Get his plans, designs together and a Reliable Contractor and get to building.

I do work for a legal firm so if any assistance is required regarding this do feel free to contact me directly.

I also do real estate so if you need help purchasing property whether it be Residential or Commercial please don't hesitate
Shy 1, or St Lucia properties, again I repeat touting for business on the forums in strictly forbidden, as you have a conflict of interest. No more please.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:11 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All
Hi Babylove, firstly are any of your partners parents St Lucian born, or born in any of the Caricom Islands ? If yes this will make residency much easier as he will qualify as a citizen through descent. It will also make setting up the business much easier. Even if he is not, it is possible, however food businesses are generally reserved for locals, but this is not absolute. It always helps if you are going to create some form of local employment.
Have you been to St Lucia recently to guage the general atmosphere and see how the competition is faring ? I await your response.

Last edited by pgtips; Apr 14th 2011 at 7:22 am.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Thinking Of Moving to St. Lucia

Thank you all for your responses it was informative.

I would like to know as expats do you have any regrets of making the decision to leave UK and reside in St Lucia? What is the day to day life like living in St. Lucia, besides waking up to sunshine everyday? Still trying to decide if it will be St Lucia or Jamaica, I am aware the crime rate is lower is St Lucia but what do you miss, if anything from the UK.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:48 am

Thank you all for your responses it was informative.

I would like to know as expats do you have any regrets of making the decision to leave UK and reside in St Lucia? What is the day to day life like living in St. Lucia, besides waking up to sunshine everyday? Still trying to decide if it will be St Lucia or Jamaica, I am aware the crime rate is lower is St Lucia but what do you miss, if anything from the UK.
BabyLove, we duscussed this quite recently. Check this thread for different perspectives. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705560
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Platinum is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Thinking Of Moving to St. Lucia

Hi All
YOur Partner alson need to determine if the Particular area in which he has the Land is welcoming to this type of business that he wishes to open this new business.

What demographic you are going after and is it available and how available it is in the land's location.

The fact that your partner owns land in the Island would definitely make this process alot easier for the two of you. He needs though to start the process soon as the Government of St Lucia does allow a certain amount of time after the purchase of the property for Construction to begin on it.