Starting a Business

Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

skyline69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting a Business

Hello Everyone - When I moved to Belize and went to start a Business it was as easy as opening a door. So my question is, what is the process in starting a business? And how difficult is it?

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:22 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Starting a Business

It looks like nobody knows how to start a business in St.Lucia! Oh well. Guess I will just have to figure it out myself when I reach.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of light

I have run a business here, you can register as a sole trader - but to do that you have to have citizenship or you can set up a Limited company for a fee, which of course helps with liability issues. You will however have to be in partnership with a St Lucian ie 51% st lucian, 49% you. It is a fairly simple process, I did it myself but to be honest its best to go through a lawyer as they get things done quicker, I would however shop around as some are cheaper than others. Hope this helps,
Sarah
Old Dec 17th 2012, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sarah 1234

Thanks a lot for that info - did not know that one needed a St.Lucian as a partner. So it comes just like Cayman. In all my research I did not come across that. Do you know if there is away around that?

Thanks Again
Alex
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyline69
Hi Sarah 1234

Thanks a lot for that info - did not know that one needed a St.Lucian as a partner. So it comes just like Cayman. In all my research I did not come across that. Do you know if there is away around that?

Thanks Again
Alex
St Lucia is notoriously lax in coming up with the proper documentation available on the internet, which is an issue that the present government says it is trying to remedy. That said, St Lucia is still regarded as a good place to do business which suggests that it has less shortcomings than many others in the region.

Since you are a Caricom citizen, you should consider the leads that the CSME provides in opening your own business and there is a document published by Guyana which would also apply to St Lucia as a Caricom member:

http://www.minfor.gov.gy/tsite/image...e_overview.pdf

Best to contact the Ministry of Home Affairs here for starters to gain further clarification from the horse's mouth.

Telephone directory (blue pages) does not have a good reputation for being accurate:

[email protected]
758 468 3614
:758 468 3600
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Hi Pistolpete2

Thanks for that info it really put a smile back on my face. I was really worried about the need to have a partner. (Had a very bad experience once with a partner, and I don't want one again) I will call the Ministry of Home Affairs right after Christmas - I know what it's like in a government office right before the holidays. No work gets done! I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks Again
Alex
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Well I call the Ministry of Home Affairs today and found out that as a Caricom citizen. I do not need a work permit, and to start a Business I do not need a St.Lucian partner. And from what I found out, it is just about as easy as when I moved to Belize. All they require is a police report from here, a letter from my bank here and my Caricom info. Them in St.Lucia they do a name search on the business (cost around 150EC), plus they require a full description of the business.

Thanks again Pistolpete2 for the phone number. If you have any more info, that would be helpful, I would really appreciate it.

Alex
Old Jan 9th 2013, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Well I call the Ministry of Home Affairs today and found out that as a Caricom citizen. I do not need a work permit, and to start a Business I do not need a St.Lucian partner. And from what I found out, it is just about as easy as when I moved to Belize. All they require is a police report from here, a letter from my bank here and my Caricom info. Them in St.Lucia they do a name search on the business (cost around 150EC), plus they require a full description of the business.

Thanks again Pistolpete2 for the phone number. If you have any more info, that would be helpful, I would really appreciate it.

Alex
Great stuff, hope it goes well for you.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Alex
Great Stuff!

This should be a very worthwhile initial guide for ALL Caricom citizens considering business here.

The name search bit is standard anywhere as they don't want a name conflict (too close to something else) and, as you know, there are restrictions on such grandiose business names as ROYAL and NATIONAL etc. etc.

When you get here you need to make some good legit business contacts - even talk to your doctor*/lawyer as he/she is typically a player - as this will ALWAYS stand you in good stead in close-knit, sometimes incestuous, business communities.

*You will need to see a doctor to get a clean bill of health for your driver's licence.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Great Stuff!

This should be a very worthwhile initial guide for ALL Caricom citizens considering business here.

The name search bit is standard anywhere as they don't want a name conflict (too close to something else) and, as you know, there are restrictions on such grandiose business names as ROYAL and NATIONAL etc. etc.

When you get here you need to make some good legit business contacts - even talk to your doctor*/lawyer as he/she is typically a player - as this will ALWAYS stand you in good stead in close-knit, sometimes incestuous, business communities.

*You will need to see a doctor to get a clean bill of health for your driver's licence.
Thanks TheArmChairDetective and Pistolpete2

You will need to see a doctor to get a clean bill of health for your driver's license - what, are they afraid that I will have a stroke while driving in St.Lucia (are the drivers there that bad) LOL
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks TheArmChairDetective and Pistolpete2

You will need to see a doctor to get a clean bill of health for your driver's license - what, are they afraid that I will have a stroke while driving in St.Lucia (are the drivers there that bad) LOL
Heh! It's their country so we have to play by their rules, whatever they may be, IYKWIM. I was in Bermuda before and it was just the same.

But No, the driving is not bad at all in my experience and most certainly better than in Bermuda and there are far more heavy vehicles and 40ft container trucks on the road here.

It used to be that you had to furnish the authorities at the airport with clearance that you were up to date on your taxes before you could leave the country so consider life easy these days.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 9th 2013 at 10:52 pm.