St. Lucia Pictures

Old Oct 21st 2010, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Scottylad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: St. Lucia Pictures

LottieLou

Well found - the one we experienced at Windjammer was the darker version and they are quite scary looking. The person who told us the name was a local obviously so probably the name sounded different in the local dialect, or they have their own version of the name.

Do you know anything else about this fish? i.e does it bite?
Old Oct 21st 2010, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

LottieLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scottylad
LottieLou

Well found - the one we experienced at Windjammer was the darker version and they are quite scary looking. The person who told us the name was a local obviously so probably the name sounded different in the local dialect, or they have their own version of the name.

Do you know anything else about this fish? i.e does it bite?
Hey ScottyLad,
I can't tell that it is dangerous (unlike the frogfish and moray eels - which I have seen numerous times when diving there).

I think the best advice I can give to anyone that sees these is to not touch - they're not poisonous - Just indulge in the memories, take only pictures and leave nothing but bubbles.

I remember someone saying to me about seaeggs, which was a local phrase for.... sea urchins, so I think the local 'patois' name for the Flying Gurnard might be something different.

HTH
Old Oct 21st 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Scottylad is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course my experience of this was over 18 months ago so my memory might not be what it used to as we aren't getting any younger and I'm sure a few more brain cells have gone in that period, although I was quite close.

Your advice should apply to everything in nature - look but don't touch and that way no harm will come to us or the poor creatures. It's good to know though when it's safe to stand and stare and when to run.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 3:34 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottylad
Of course my experience of this was over 18 months ago so my memory might not be what it used to as we aren't getting any younger and I'm sure a few more brain cells have gone in that period, although I was quite close.

Your advice should apply to everything in nature - look but don't touch and that way no harm will come to us or the poor creatures. It's good to know though when it's safe to stand and stare and when to run.
Good advice, look but don't touch. I was right next to it in the water and it moves quite slowly......... but who knows when it could pounce