St Lucia Laborie

Old Mar 5th 2011, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

BabsS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default St Lucia Laborie

Can anyone tell me what the area of Laborie is like to live in permanently or semi-permanently? Looking property there. I know the North of the island and its various areas, also around Soufriere but have only visited Laborie a few times. I know there is a new development in Laborie, similar to that of Rodney Heights (?) going up near the quarry works. Does anyone have any experience of living in this area? I don't mind if the area is quieter than the North but want to be in a community rather than a gated estate, maybe with the odd dog or two - as advised on this forum. However, I don't want to turn the house into a "fortress" in order to feel safe - as Pistol Pete mentioned on another thread. Advice gratefully accepted and hello PGTips! It has been a while...

Thanks

BabsS
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:10 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Lucia Laborie

Originally Posted by BabsS
Can anyone tell me what the area of Laborie is like to live in permanently or semi-permanently? Looking property there. I know the North of the island and its various areas, also around Soufriere but have only visited Laborie a few times. I know there is a new development in Laborie, similar to that of Rodney Heights (?) going up near the quarry works. Does anyone have any experience of living in this area? I don't mind if the area is quieter than the North but want to be in a community rather than a gated estate, maybe with the odd dog or two - as advised on this forum. However, I don't want to turn the house into a "fortress" in order to feel safe - as Pistol Pete mentioned on another thread. Advice gratefully accepted and hello PGTips! It has been a while...

Thanks

BabsS
Hey Babs, indeed it has been a long time. You finally ready to make the move to St lucia ? I have not been to Laborie for 2 years, but the last time I was there it seemed very quiet, nothing much happening, just a quiet village.
I stopped ar Black Bay, where the Ritz Carlton development was going to be, but again not much happening.
Have a look at their website http://www.ilovelaborie.com maybe this will give you a few ideas.

Last edited by pgtips; Mar 7th 2011 at 8:16 am.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:46 pm
Banned

St Lucia Properties is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

BabsS
Laborie is for persons who want to live in an area where each stride is 5 seconds long, where you know your neighbour's name and enjoy the life of natural scenery.

Laborie has modernized quite a bit but not too much to lose is natural feel. Living there is a great choice if this life style is for you and many of the Surrounding communities eg. Soufriere and Chousieul. You will be close to many beaches, the rain forests, botanical gardens, waterfalls, rivers etc many natural attractions as well as historic. Should you decide that this is the choice for you, you may contact me directly as i do Real Estate and have a few properties in that side of the Island and also work for a Reputable Law Firm so your transaction would be a very Smooth and safe transition
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:57 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St Lucia Properties
Laborie is for persons who want to live in an area where each stride is 5 seconds long, where you know your neighbour's name and enjoy the life of natural scenery.

Laborie has modernized quite a bit but not too much to lose is natural feel. Living there is a great choice if this life style is for you and many of the Surrounding communities eg. Soufriere and Chousieul. You will be close to many beaches, the rain forests, botanical gardens, waterfalls, rivers etc many natural attractions as well as historic. Should you decide that this is the choice for you, you may contact me directly as i do Real Estate and have a few properties in that side of the Island and also work for a Reputable Law Firm so your transaction would be a very Smooth and safe transition
St Lucia properties, touting for business directly in the forums is strictly forbidden on this site. You may add your link in your signature, but saying you work for a law firm and are realtor seems like a recipe for disaster for any future purchaser. You have a conflict of interest. Anyone who decides to buy in St Lucia must get independent legal advice, totally separate from a realtor.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
St Lucia properties, touting for business directly in the forums is strictly forbidden on this site. You may add your link in your signature, but saying you work for a law firm and are realtor seems like a recipe for disaster for any future purchaser. You have a conflict of interest. Anyone who decides to buy in St Lucia must get independent legal advice, totally separate from a realtor.
Hi pg,

My general advice would be to find somebody who has recently come from a country like the UK, US or Canada who is familiar with normal legal process there and who has bought into St Lucia and then discuss their experience from the legal side of things.

When I came to St Lucia to buy land the realtor stole money from me and there was, per my lawyer, no legal recourse. Then the vendor dropped out of the agreed purchase/sale. I have recently heard of cases where lawyers steal their client's funds and there is judgment against them and the lawyer still doesn't want to return the funds. This is legal cowboy country. Straight lawyers are looked down on as they are a sell-out to the corruption that is everywhere. Lawyers are a dime a dozen. Good ones are another matter.

So the rule is to find a good honest lawyer known to outsiders for their integrity. There's a word you don't hear much in this neck of the woods.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 15th 2011 at 4:28 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Hi pg,

My general advice would be to find somebody who has recently come from a country like the UK, US or Canada who is familiar with normal legal process there and who has bought into St Lucia and then discuss their experience from the legal side of things.

When I came to St Lucia to buy land the realtor stole money from me and there was, per my lawyer, no legal recourse. Then the vendor dropped out of the agreed purchase/sale. I have recently heard of cases where lawyers steal their client's funds and there is judgment against them and the lawyer still doesn't want to return the funds. This is legal cowboy country. Straight lawyers are looked down on as they are a sell-out to the corruption that is everywhere. Lawyers are a dime a dozen. Good ones are another matter.

So the rule is to find a good honest lawyer known to outsiders for their integrity. There's a word you don't hear much in this neck of the woods.
Pistolpete2, this is why I found it a bit concerning somebody claiming to sell real estate as well as working for a legal firm. Luckily I have used the same Lawyer for the past 10 years now and she has not let me down yet. I started using her because she arranged a smooth property transaction for my parents when they settled in St Lucia, and has handled a couple of transactions for me without a hitch so far. She seems as straight as they come and very professional. I have been lucky in this respect, though that crooked realtor must have really pissed you off.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
Pistolpete2, this is why I found it a bit concerning somebody claiming to sell real estate as well as working for a legal firm. Luckily I have used the same Lawyer for the past 10 years now and she has not let me down yet. I started using her because she arranged a smooth property transaction for my parents when they settled in St Lucia, and has handled a couple of transactions for me without a hitch so far. She seems as straight as they come and very professional. I have been lucky in this respect, though that crooked realtor must have really pissed you off.
Pissed me off at the time but didn't cause my St Lucia relationship to sour as we still proceeded.

And guess what! That crooked realtor announced that he was going off to become a lawyer. Horses for courses!

One problem here is that do not need a licence to become a realtor.

You had mentioned your lawyer before. May need to check you some time on that.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 15th 2011 at 7:00 pm.
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Platinum is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

BabsS
Hi Babs,

Have you made a decision of purchasing property in Laborie? I see you have gotten great advice and info on this Great Community
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Platinum
Hi Babs,

Have you made a decision of purchasing property in Laborie? I see you have gotten great advice and info on this Great Community
hi Platinum, welcome to the community. Where are you based ?
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

First it depends on which part of Laborie you are interested in. Laborie is a great Community, if you want to live anywhere where you know your neighbor's middle name type of atmosphere.

Laborie has most amenities as anywhere else, amazing beaches, natural attraction, Rivers, Hoetels.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

BabsS is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: St Lucia Laborie

Thanks everyone for your replies and sorry it has taken me such a while to get back to you. Unfortunately my husband thinks it is just a bit too far South to be practical living in Laborie. This is a shame as I really like the area.I believe there is some development planned for the area but not excessive. He would prefer the south of France or possible around Rodney or Cap Estate () so not sure we are anywhere near making a move yet!

In the meantime, we have just celebrated our 26th visit to St Lucia and are still enjoying visiting.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Babs
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone for your replies and sorry it has taken me such a while to get back to you. Unfortunately my husband thinks it is just a bit too far South to be practical living in Laborie. This is a shame as I really like the area.I believe there is some development planned for the area but not excessive. He would prefer the south of France or possible around Rodney or Cap Estate () so not sure we are anywhere near making a move yet!

In the meantime, we have just celebrated our 26th visit to St Lucia and are still enjoying visiting.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Babs
I know of very contented folks who have bought closer to the airport at Beausejour (south) and this is not as isolated as one can be elsewhere in the south.

Since we last chatted I have come to the conclusion that we are probably better off in the South but that is because we have to live on a fairly tight budget so we can afford to hang in Marigot Bay when we want to and still live the life without in any way taxing that budget. If we lived in the north we would not be able to afford all the temptations on our doorstep. We can now also grocery shop in Rodney Bay once a week for those things we can't get elsewhere. Living in the south you do not have to spend a big chunk of your life stuck in traffic.

If after 26 visits your husband is not convinced that St Lucia is the right place to put down roots I don't know what to say. The south of France is very different but has vastly superior access to the rest of Europe but the whole lifestyle there is a completely different financial commitment.

If I had my ideal, it would be six months here (probably May to October or better still November to April) and six months in Europe. If I could find somebody who would take the other half that would be just fine.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks

BabsS
Laborie is amazing to live in. Great community feel and amenities. Beaches rivers waterfalls and very safe. I am originally from laborie everyone know each other by first name there. The development is in a great location and there are many properties with great sea views. I have some greatly located lots for sale there as well
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Platinum
Laborie is amazing to live in. Great community feel and amenities. Beaches rivers waterfalls and very safe. I am originally from laborie everyone know each other by first name there. The development is in a great location and there are many properties with great sea views. I have some greatly located lots for sale there as well
Platinum if life is so amazing in Laborie why did you move ?