British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   St.Lucia - Household Effects (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/st-lucia-household-effects-632131/)

jb_has_questions Sep 23rd 2009 3:14 am

St.Lucia - Household Effects

Hello All,

I am hoping someone might be able to help with my questions. We (me, husband & one child) are going to be moving to St.Lucia for a couple of years full time, then returning for vacations/extended visits for an undetermined time after that (probably until we die). We are starting to build this winter, and will be moving after we have basic structure completed. My question is about household effects. Can anyone tell me if we ship a household (beds, linens, furniture, kitchen items, clothing etc.) are we to pay duty on these items?
The St. Lucia customs website does not answer this question, so I am looking to hear from someone who has shipped household items. Did you have to pay duty on your items? We are not returning nationals.

Thanks ,

JB

pgtips Sep 23rd 2009 8:35 pm

Re: St.Lucia - Household Effects

Originally Posted by jb_has_questions (Post 7955946)
Hello All,

I am hoping someone might be able to help with my questions. We (me, husband & one child) are going to be moving to St.Lucia for a couple of years full time, then returning for vacations/extended visits for an undetermined time after that (probably until we die). We are starting to build this winter, and will be moving after we have basic structure completed. My question is about household effects. Can anyone tell me if we ship a household (beds, linens, furniture, kitchen items, clothing etc.) are we to pay duty on these items?
The St. Lucia customs website does not answer this question, so I am looking to hear from someone who has shipped household items. Did you have to pay duty on your items? We are not returning nationals.

Thanks ,

JB

As non returning nationals you will have to pay duty. I do not know the exact amount. There used to be a page on there web site http://www.customs.gov.lc/ listing exactly what you could bring in and what duty was payable but this has been removed. Why not give them a call for clarification.

Good luck, where will you be staying on island ?

jb_has_questions Sep 24th 2009 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 7958661)
As non returning nationals you will have to pay duty. I do not know the exact amount. There used to be a page on there web site http://www.customs.gov.lc/ listing exactly what you could bring in and what duty was payable but this has been removed. Why not give them a call for clarification.

Good luck, where will you be staying on island ?

Thanks - I will call to find out. I did think that there used to be a list on the site too, then I second guessed myself and thought perhaps I had simply read the returning nationals section.

I do have some more questions for everyone who doesn't mind answering....

For anyone that has recently shopped for such items, can anyone tell me what I would expect to pay for a decent bed mattress? Or any other furniture for that matter. Also what town/city would you recommend to go to for shopping for household effect? Where are the best selection of products available?

I have some time to research so I thought if I could do a cost analysis of buying there compared to shipping and paying tax.

Thanks again.

jb_has_questions Sep 24th 2009 2:03 pm

I thought I replied to your post already but I don't see my reply so I apologize if this shows up twice.

Thanks for that. I will phone, I had thought there was a list too.

I have more questions. For those on the island who have shopped and bought household effects:

Can anyone tell me the cost of a decent bed mattress?

Can anyone tell the cost of other random household items they have recently bought?

Where on the island do you recommend shopping for household effects (i.e. which city/town)?

Were there any items you can't get easily and therefore should be brought?

Thanks again.
JB

LottieLou Sep 28th 2009 6:52 pm

I'll try and see if I can give you some estimated (estimated as they are just off the top of my head).

Decent Bed Mattress - best place over here is Lubeco, located in Vieux Fort behind the Gablewoods South Mall. Double mattress will be about EC$2,000.

Random Household Items - did you have anything specific, are we talking about other furniture, or food produce, or something else? Just wanted clarification.
There are Courts furniture stores located in Castries, Vieux Fort and Soufriere - reasonable prices. Hi-Fi unit ranges from EC$1000 to EC$2500 depending on brand and specs.

Shopping - best place is Castries, there's more variety available than in Vieux Fort,

Items that you can't get easily - hmmm, tricky question. It depends on when the containers come in, sometimes you can get the same brand hair conditioner (say, just for an example), but other times, they won't have it in the store. Majority of the items are from the USA. - I have a new love for oreos!! :)

HTH, any other questions, feel free to ask...

jb_has_questions Oct 5th 2009 1:52 pm

Thank you for your reply. That is the kind of thing I was wondering.

Scottylad Dec 3rd 2009 9:21 pm

JB

Where are you based? Have you ever been to a Courts store in St Lucia?

Do not even consider buying locally if you want good quality at reasonable prices. Pay the import duty - you will not regret it.:thumbsup: