St Lucia Holiday Home

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:54 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Lucia Holiday Home

Originally Posted by Scottylad
We looked all over the world for somewhere and had planned the Merricks resort in Barbados but I don't think the build has yet started there, then St Vincent at Buccament Bay, but I'm not sure that has started yet, then Italy but the developer was a bit dodgy, then we found Bayview and the prices were great and the investment seemed like a good prospect.

Rumours now are that the developer has hit financial problems and their bank is cutting back on lending so I don't know what's going to happen to my hard earned money.

Might have to invest the remainder of my savings back in Fife - at least that's affordable but not quite the same climate.
Scottylad, have you spoken to the developer about this ?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Scottylad is an unknown quantity at this point

pgtips

The developer is due to make an announcement to buyers soon to advise what the restructuring will mean in terms of completion dates. We have had a few comments recently about no progress being made and were always reassured that building was ongoing, but the developer has proved to be a poor communicator and requests for updates have not been heeded.

One of the purchasers is going out there this weekend and has meetings arranged with the developer and their solicitor and will report on his findings next week.

Hopefully this is just a blip but as you have pointed out before building at Bayview has been slow, and we need to be kept better informed as we are all adults and knowing is better than guessing.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scottylad
Rumours now are that the developer has hit financial problems and their bank is cutting back on lending so I don't know what's going to happen to my hard earned money.

Might have to invest the remainder of my savings back in Fife - at least that's affordable but not quite the same climate.
Very sorry to hear this. I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling. Really hope it gets resolved soon because if it doesn't it will serious dent everyones confidence in the SLU property market!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:03 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3aces
Very sorry to hear this. I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling. Really hope it gets resolved soon because if it doesn't it will serious dent everyones confidence in the SLU property market!
I don't think it will cause a serious dent in the property market, but I think people will be more cautious about the off plan type of developments.
I hope this is sorted out soon, but definatley much more progress should have been made by now.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Scottylad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully this just means that completion is going to be delayed even further, but who knows? Some buyers have now had plot and parcel numbers so are progressing with their Aliens Landholding Licences, and the first phase is scheduled for completion in November this year. Some of the agents websites are now showing total completion dates of December 2010 and this does seem more realistic in view of the progress so far.

We are really keen to get feedback from our member who is going out on Sunday as he has a meeting arranged with the developer's solicitor with his own on Monday.

Those who are in the first phase are not happy because their villas will be ready in November but there will be no pool or clubhouse and the site will remain a building site until at least a year later so rentals will not be so attractive to holidaymakers. I understand that some contracts allow a 10% retention until all facilities are complete but that's not much consolation for lost rentals in peak season.

One good thing is I still have my 20% to pay at roof stage and that doesn't look like being due for a while and I will personally inspect the building before I pay another penny.