St Lucia?

Old Oct 1st 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: St Lucia?

Good to see that there is life left in the forum

From what I hear the recession is taking its toll in St Lucia (like everywhere else). I guess some way or another we are all suffering the effects.

Great blog Lottie
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

hi, i'm still about but I don't check back too frequently, I'm busy with enjoying the island! Being almost 8 months pregnant has meant I'm more tired than ever and the heat makes it alot worse! Walking my lab dog in the evening is all I can manage at the moment.

Sorry to hear you were burgled Chris, we have burglar bars all over our rented apartment so it makes me feel safe, we live in Tapion which is a great area anyway, and keeping our dog outside at night helps keep away any johnbies!!!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Louisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
hi, i'm still about but I don't check back too frequently, I'm busy with enjoying the island! Being almost 8 months pregnant has meant I'm more tired than ever and the heat makes it alot worse! Walking my lab dog in the evening is all I can manage at the moment.

Sorry to hear you were burgled Chris, we have burglar bars all over our rented apartment so it makes me feel safe, we live in Tapion which is a great area anyway, and keeping our dog outside at night helps keep away any johnbies!!!
Hi Glittery

Glad to hear you're enjoying life there & congrats on your pregnancy although I don't envy you in that heat!

I think our biggest problem was the property being left empty for so long without adequate security. And we were foolish to pay the guy in advance to fit the burglar bars. He was a friend & we trusted him to do the work whilst we off the Island. Needless to say, he felt very guilty after the burglary & did them straight away then. Too little, too late. Funnily enough, he doesn't keep in contact with us anymore.

When are you due?

Chris
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

angiez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, new to the site. just came back from st lucia on honeymoon and we are hoping to emigrate asap. we have known we are leaving uk for a few years and have been planning on oz but the people and island blew us away.
I'm a dentist in the uk and am worried its going to be hard to find work on the island...my husband is a plumber so assuming it will be easier for him.
does anyone have any idea how i can secure a job before i go?
cheers!!!

Originally Posted by 3aces
Hardly any postings relating to St Lucia recently. Does this mean fewer people are interested in emigrating to SLU or has everyone moved to a different forum?

Where is everyone???

Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice

Originally Posted by angiez
Hi, new to the site. just came back from st lucia on honeymoon and we are hoping to emigrate asap. we have known we are leaving uk for a few years and have been planning on oz but the people and island blew us away.
I'm a dentist in the uk and am worried its going to be hard to find work on the island...my husband is a plumber so assuming it will be easier for him.
cheers!!!
My wife is a Dentist Angie. But suggest you PM me. I can send you everything we found out if you are interested. We both moved here from the UK
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Great! thank you so much! the site restricts members with min 3 posts to private message so will try to do so after sending another blank post after this
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Mr Redrose is a jewel in the roughMr Redrose is a jewel in the roughMr Redrose is a jewel in the roughMr Redrose is a jewel in the roughMr Redrose is a jewel in the rough

Hi everybody, glad that everyone is still out there. Came over in July for 9 weeks because we had a container arriving, so have plenty of information about containers and cars if someone wants to pm me. The headlines are that you need to import stuff you've used for 12 months, and if your car is over 5 years old you need permission from the Cabinet of Ministers (which only took us 5 days to get). Duty on a car costing £1,800 in Uk because of age (10 years) and fact is was a 1600cc 4 wheel drive meant that import duty was over $20,000!!!! OUCH.

We also got burgled despite having burglar bars, they spent some time in prising open a locked metal back door and popping the burglar door. Stole Hifi equipment, TV and Gas bottle and then burgled 2 more houses in the same area. Seems to be on the increase!!

We are by Beausejour, so will keep an eye on the posts and make contact when we're back on the island.

It is still a wonderful place to live, even for part of a year!!

Mr Redrose
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers!!!
I'm fishing here but could you possibly open up your own practice or partner with someone else?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately I don't have the capital to start my own practice even if it's partnered with someone else. Would love to after settling down and getting a patient base but so much trust and loyalty is involved to make a new practice successful I would be risking a lot!
Trying to contact hospitals/clinics to get some contacts
Hoping that my husband will be able to get plumbing work there...building trade still strong? I hear the golf courses are still in the pipe line...
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice

Unfortunately I don't have the capital to start my own practice even if it's partnered with someone else. Would love to after settling down and getting a patient base but so much trust and loyalty is involved to make a new practice successful I would be risking a lot!
Trying to contact hospitals/clinics to get some contacts
Hoping that my husband will be able to get plumbing work there...building trade still strong? I hear the golf courses are still in the pipe line...
Not only that, as a local Dr has found when trying to open his Practice here the powers that be make it a very very lengthy process. Personally I found it amazing that they don't encourage Drs and Dentists or any medical personnel to the island. They seem to make it as difficult as possible.

Ho hum.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

That's the surprising thing; there's apparently 160,000 people on the island to 19 dentists; 8000 patients per dentist! I work in the NHS here so have about 3000 on my list and am jam packed with about 40 patients per day. The established dentists on the island must be needing associates surely?!
Look forward to hearing how your wife got on...must have been very difficult!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

That's the surprising thing; there's apparently 160,000 people on the island to 19 dentists; 8000 patients per dentist! I work in the NHS here so have about 3000 on my list and am jam packed with about 40 patients per day. The established dentists on the island must be needing associates surely?!
Look forward to hearing how your wife got on...must have been very difficult!
Hi Angie. I PM'd you in reply to your msg. My wife is back in the UK at present doing some Locum work (For the NHS).
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:06 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LottieLou
I'm still here, only just. Been going through a rough-patch - my whole world just collapsed right around me in the space of about two weeks.

Even if you are living it up in the Caribbean, life still stucks....
Love the blog Lottie

When your world collapses around you, just slowly build it back up, but even stronger this time. Good luck
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:09 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A_Zimbo
Not only that, as a local Dr has found when trying to open his Practice here the powers that be make it a very very lengthy process. Personally I found it amazing that they don't encourage Drs and Dentists or any medical personnel to the island. They seem to make it as difficult as possible.

Ho hum.
Sometimes on a small island it is not what you know but who you know, and a bit of hard cash always seems to speak a bundle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.