St Lucia?

Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point
Default St Lucia?

Hardly any postings relating to St Lucia recently. Does this mean fewer people are interested in emigrating to SLU or has everyone moved to a different forum?

Where is everyone???

Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:01 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Lucia?

Originally Posted by 3aces
Hardly any postings relating to St Lucia recently. Does this mean fewer people are interested in emigrating to SLU or has everyone moved to a different forum?

Where is everyone???

I was thinking the same. We have to remember that a lot of people posting on the subject have now moved onto the island permanently, some going back and forth, and some still in the planning stages. The ones who are living on the island seem to go quiet for a while before re-surfacing. I suppose they are too busy with island life to visit these boards on a regular basis. I also think the recession has put many a plan on hold as finance has been harder to come by and property sales have slowed, especially for those relying on the sale of their property to partially finance their move.

I am sure things will pick up again soon as the world gets its finances back in shape.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice

Originally Posted by pgtips
I was thinking the same. We have to remember that a lot of people posting on the subject have now moved onto the island permanently, some going back and forth, and some still in the planning stages. The ones who are living on the island seem to go quiet for a while before re-surfacing. I suppose they are too busy with island life to visit these boards on a regular basis. I also think the recession has put many a plan on hold as finance has been harder to come by and property sales have slowed, especially for those relying on the sale of their property to partially finance their move.

I am sure things will pick up again soon as the world gets its finances back in shape.
More like banging our heads against the brick wall of govt bureaucracy and exasperated by the legal profession down here PGTips. I'm plain worn out by it all and have to admit have on more than a few occasions questioned my sanity in getting involved in building down here. Maybe one day it'll all work out is what I keep telling myself.

Sorry not been posting recently but I reckon if I had done then the moderator would have had to pull my posts for the amount of profanity in them.

Off for a bucket of Pitons as chill pills in a minute.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Louisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone.

I'm still around but have been sorting out other stuff.

We went to St Lucia in Jan & May & we're off again at the end of this month.
I doubt you'll remember but we bought a house there in Dec & it got burgled early Jan (which is why we had to do a quick trip over). Luckily enough, there wasn't much damage but they stole everything (even our clothes). As we hadn't put that much in it, we weren't too upset. We went again in May & really secured the place (as it's a tad remote) & have had no problems since. My husbands family are looking after it so we can rest a bit easier.

We are in the process of buying furniture/households goods here with a view to shipping over. We have also bought a 4x4 as we will most certainly need one.

We downloaded some info from the internet that says, as long as you are a returning national, you can ship new & used goods without being taxed. Not sure about the car but we have another relative who is going to ship a jeep over so we're going to speak to him to find out what the procedure is.

We hope, eventually, to move there permanently but can't see that happening in the very near future but who knows...

Chris
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chris Louisy
Hi everyone.

We downloaded some info from the internet that says, as long as you are a returning national, you can ship new & used goods without being taxed. Not sure about the car but we have another relative who is going to ship a jeep over so we're going to speak to him to find out what the procedure is.
Chris
I believe that it is as long as you have been abroad for 10 years or more you will get that concession Chris.

Here's some information though from the SL Customs Website FAQ section:

I am a St. Lucian national who has been studying overseas for the past 5 years. I will be returning home with all my personal effects upon my completion. What relief of duty am I entitled to?

A returning national who has resided abroad for ten yrs or more is entitled to a range of benefits as outlined in Statutory Instrument # 1 and Statutory Instrument # 2 of 1999. However in the case of someone who has resided overseas for five years an exemption of import duty on used personal and household effects is permissible under the list of conditional duty exemptions as outlined in the Common External Tariff (CET).

But even if you are a foreign national (Like me) you get a concession. Again form the Customs Website FAQ:

I am a foreign national who is thinking of moving to St. Lucia with all my personal effects. What am I entitled to?

A person taking up residence in St. Lucia is entitled to a waiver of import duty in accordance with the List of Conditional Duty Exemptions as contained in the Common External tariff (CET). Generally this applies only to personal and household effects that have been in the possession and use of the individual for over one year.

Sorry to hear you got burgled. It's a big problem over here. Where I am building is a little bit secluded and I am busy looking at various security related options while under construction.

Best Wishes
AZ
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by A_Zimbo
I believe that it is as long as you have been abroad for 10 years or more you will get that concession Chris.

Here's some information though from the SL Customs Website FAQ section:

I am a St. Lucian national who has been studying overseas for the past 5 years. I will be returning home with all my personal effects upon my completion. What relief of duty am I entitled to?

A returning national who has resided abroad for ten yrs or more is entitled to a range of benefits as outlined in Statutory Instrument # 1 and Statutory Instrument # 2 of 1999. However in the case of someone who has resided overseas for five years an exemption of import duty on used personal and household effects is permissible under the list of conditional duty exemptions as outlined in the Common External Tariff (CET).

But even if you are a foreign national (Like me) you get a concession. Again form the Customs Website FAQ:

I am a foreign national who is thinking of moving to St. Lucia with all my personal effects. What am I entitled to?

A person taking up residence in St. Lucia is entitled to a waiver of import duty in accordance with the List of Conditional Duty Exemptions as contained in the Common External tariff (CET). Generally this applies only to personal and household effects that have been in the possession and use of the individual for over one year.

Sorry to hear you got burgled. It's a big problem over here. Where I am building is a little bit secluded and I am busy looking at various security related options while under construction.

Best Wishes
AZ
Thanks AZ

We were really upset when we heard we'd been robbed but, quite honestly, a lot of the stuff they took had been left by the previous owner.

They took 2 safes that we didn't get round to installing but we had already set the security codes so they were worthless to them as they couldn't open them & the keys were locked inside. That cheered me up no end.

They took bedding, towels etc. but even if they had left it, I would have thrown it out anyway. However, I do know my clothes very well & heaven help anyone I see wearing them!!! I must admit, the last time we were over, I was looking at everyone closely, just in case I spotted any of my clothes....

We looked a security systems when we were there in May but could not decide what system we wanted. We now have the burglar bars up all the windows, something we already paid a guy to do in Dec & although he made them straight away, we could never pin him down to install them. He gave us one excuse after another & consequently, we got burgled. We learnt the hard way, never pay anyone in advance, wait until they've done the job.

Whereabouts in the island are you?

Cheers
Chris
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks AZ

Whereabouts in the island are you?

Cheers
Chris
Marigot Bay Chris. Building is going great!

The rest (Govt depts and Lawyers etc) has been a serious pain.

Where are you on the island (When you are here)?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:04 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

I'm still around but have been sorting out other stuff.

We went to St Lucia in Jan & May & we're off again at the end of this month.
I doubt you'll remember but we bought a house there in Dec & it got burgled early Jan (which is why we had to do a quick trip over). Luckily enough, there wasn't much damage but they stole everything (even our clothes). As we hadn't put that much in it, we weren't too upset. We went again in May & really secured the place (as it's a tad remote) & have had no problems since. My husbands family are looking after it so we can rest a bit easier.

We are in the process of buying furniture/households goods here with a view to shipping over. We have also bought a 4x4 as we will most certainly need one.

We hope, eventually, to move there permanently but can't see that happening in the very near future but who knows...

Chris
Sorry to hear you were burgled Chris. We have had a family home on the island in Rodney Bay for the past 7 years, and touch wood no problems so far.
You are right about getting your property properly secured with burglar bars etc. I'd like to see the look on their faces when they finally open the safe only to see it is empty. In St Lucian patois we call these kind of people VOLE' (VOLEH !!!!) meaning thief.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

We're up the Morne (Fortune) with a fantastic view of the sea. That's the reason we bought there. We love it. The trouble is, when we are over, we tend to spend most of the time sitting on the veranda looking at the view. We can just see the end of Vigie airport & see all the cruise ships coming in & out of Castries. We never get anything done.

It's crazy but I really miss it there. We've been going to St Lucia since the early 90's (my husbands family are from there & he still has loads of relatives there). It is our dream to move permanently but I don't know when that will happen. My parents are quite elderly & not in very good health & I could never leave them here. I keep trying to get them over but they won't go. They don't want to leave the grandkids etc.

I don't envy you with the building. We thought about it & then thought, no! We couldn't be there enough to keep an eye on it.

Have you been there long? Why St Lucia?

Chris
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pgtips
Sorry to hear you were burgled Chris. We have had a family home on the island in Rodney Bay for the past 7 years, and touch wood no problems so far.
You are right about getting your property properly secured with burglar bars etc. I'd like to see the look on their faces when they finally open the safe only to see it is empty. In St Lucian patois we call these kind of people VOLE' (VOLEH !!!!) meaning thief.
Thanks PG

I couldn't repeat what I called them (me being such a lady)

Cheers
Chris
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

I don't envy you with the building. We thought about it & then thought, no! We couldn't be there enough to keep an eye on it.

Have you been there long? Why St Lucia?

Chris
Been out here and building since end of May but have been purchasing the land for over a year now. Yup, still don't own it, despite everybody being paid though I think that finally that will get resolved this week and not before time. Been a mega-pain in the stern end.

The build by comparison has been a positive pleasure. We have a really good team of guys and a main contractor. All going very weel at present. Just hope the ownership issue for the plot finally gets resolved this week.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Good Luck

We went to Marigot Bay the last time we were over ~ so beautiful (but sadly out of our price range)

Chris
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

LottieLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 3aces

Where is everyone???

I'm still here, only just. Been going through a rough-patch - my whole world just collapsed right around me in the space of about two weeks.

Even if you are living it up in the Caribbean, life still stucks....
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LottieLou
I'm still here, only just. Been going through a rough-patch - my whole world just collapsed right around me in the space of about two weeks.

Sorry to hear that LottieLou. Whatever it is I hope you overcome it.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LottieLou

Hi

I don't know you but I hope things are better for you. I've had a really tough year so far too so I do sympathise with you.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.