British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   public transport in st lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/public-transport-st-lucia-794414/)

sumfestlover Apr 18th 2013 12:34 pm

public transport in st lucia

Hi,

I will be travelling to St lucia in August to visit my sister who is currently working at Victoria Hospital in Castries.

I'll be flying from London into Hewanorra. I am trying to do this visit as cheaply as possible and have looked at transfers from the airport to Castries and have seen prices from £70+. So am keen to use the public transport.

I was wondering if there are public buses from Hewanorra to Castries and how reliable they are (will be arriving early afternoon on a Friday), also will be travelling alone, which I'm sure wont be a problem but worth noting.

Any info/advice anyone has on this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Olivia

Pistolpete2 Apr 19th 2013 5:53 pm

Re: public transport in st lucia

Originally Posted by sumfestlover (Post 10666075)
Hi,

I will be travelling to St lucia in August to visit my sister who is currently working at Victoria Hospital in Castries.

I'll be flying from London into Hewanorra. I am trying to do this visit as cheaply as possible and have looked at transfers from the airport to Castries and have seen prices from £70+. So am keen to use the public transport.

I was wondering if there are public buses from Hewanorra to Castries and how reliable they are (will be arriving early afternoon on a Friday), also will be travelling alone, which I'm sure wont be a problem but worth noting.

Any info/advice anyone has on this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Olivia

It's fairly easy to take the Vieux Fort bus from Castries to Hewanorra and ask the driver to make the slight detour into the airport for a couple of extra EC dollars over the normal fare but not so easy from the airport to Castries, unless you first go out to the main road - about 300 yards - and try to hitch a ride from a bus which is not full. I'm not saying it's impossible, just a bit harder, what with your bags and all, because you are effectively taking two places with you and your bags.

However, you would still be saving big money by getting a cab into Vieux Fort and then taking the bus from the terminus.

On the day, you could just be lucky and be at arrivals at the time a bus happens to come in on its way to Castries, dropping off an airport passenger from Vieux Fort but I've never witnessed this.

Anybody?

pgtips Apr 23rd 2013 5:26 pm

For me personally after such a long journey I would prefer to have someone meet me at the airport and take me to my destination. This should be able to be done for about £50 UK and no more than 200 EC. Sometimes you can split the fare if you know or meet somebody traveling to Castries or to the North of the island who is on the same flight as you.

Pistolpete2 Apr 23rd 2013 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 10674563)
For me personally after such a long journey I would prefer to have someone meet me at the airport and take me to my destination. This should be able to be done for about £50 UK and no more than 200 EC. Sometimes you can split the fare if you know or meet somebody traveling to Castries or to the North of the island who is on the same flight as you.

I agree with you wholeheartedly! One of the things I dread more than anything else when returning to St Lucia is the bit between the plane touching down and the actual arrival on my threshold at home with bags plonked, particularly when you've had to get up at around 5:00am to make the flight

However, when on a shoe-string budget one has precious little choice but to cut corners where one can and the transportation cost to/from the airport is one such area where this is possible and I've done it going out on several occasions in spite of the impending night flight with little or no sleep and then a journey onwards quite some distance from Gatwick.

pgtips Apr 23rd 2013 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 10674591)
I agree with you wholeheartedly! One of the things I dread more than anything else when returning to St Lucia is the bit between the plane touching down and the actual arrival on my threshold at home with bags plonked, particularly when you've had to get up at around 5:00am to make the flight

However, when on a shoe-string budget one has precious little choice but to cut corners where one can and the transportation cost to/from the airport is one such area where this is possible and I've done it going out on several occasions in spite of the impending night flight with little or no sleep and then a journey onwards quite some distance from Gatwick.

I agree Pete, getting the transport from Castries to the airport is OK, but after an 11 hr journey, this includes getting to Gatwick, 2 hr check in, and then an 8hr flight, it is a bit much looking to get a bus to town with all your luggage. For me waiting transport from the airport is essential.

Hopefully someone who is also going North will be willing to share the fare.

sumfestlover May 2nd 2013 12:44 pm

Thank you both for your advice - I have a feeling I will be falling into a taxi after the mammoth journey, or get a taxi a Vieux Fort. Either way I'm sure it will be an exciting adventure!

With regard to getting a taxi, are most of them set on a meter or am I at risk of getting sorely over charged being a tourist/on my own? If so are there anyways of avoiding this?

I only ask because I know cabbies in Manchester (home) always try and do this when they are not on a meter, so I think I am generally of the view taxi drivers will try and hustle you out of extra cash some way or another, however St Lucian cabbies may prove me wrong!

Pistolpete2 May 2nd 2013 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by sumfestlover (Post 10688649)
Thank you both for your advice - I have a feeling I will be falling into a taxi after the mammoth journey, or get a taxi a Vieux Fort. Either way I'm sure it will be an exciting adventure!

With regard to getting a taxi, are most of them set on a meter or am I at risk of getting sorely over charged being a tourist/on my own? If so are there anyways of avoiding this?

I only ask because I know cabbies in Manchester (home) always try and do this when they are not on a meter, so I think I am generally of the view taxi drivers will try and hustle you out of extra cash some way or another, however St Lucian cabbies may prove me wrong!

St Lucian cabbies have standard rates for standard runs. I would suggest that you check what these are ahead of time:

Hewanorra - Castries, Hewanorra - Gros Islet/Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay - Victoria Hospital

You should really consider buses for Castries to Gros Islet and Victoria Hospital to Gros Islet via Castries.

Be aware that there is mayhem at Hewanorra at flight arrivals time and there will be all sorts of hustlers trying to get you into a taxi so just be clear on the correct rate for your desired run.

flywiz Jun 25th 2013 7:54 pm

As far as I know 200EC is the regular fare to Rodney Bay/Castries. Maybe try asking in the queue at immigration if anyone is looking to share a taxi. Otherwise post your arrival date here - maybe someone will be meeting someone on your date. Eg my niece is arriving August 5th & we would have space in the car for one more....

AmyLMurray Jul 4th 2013 9:42 pm

Hi, sorry I know this a bit off topic, but can I ask what job your sister has at the hospital. Trying to get an idea of the sort of jobs there are out there before making the move.

Regards, Amy :)

sumfestlover Jan 21st 2014 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by AmyLMurray (Post 10784989)
Hi, sorry I know this a bit off topic, but can I ask what job your sister has at the hospital. Trying to get an idea of the sort of jobs there are out there before making the move.

Regards, Amy :)

Hi Amy, sorry for such a late reply I have only just seen this comment. She is a Doctor and was doing some voluntary work over there for a couple of months! I hope you manage to find some work, but it is so difficult - unless like others have stated, you are bringing a specific skill to the island. However, although this is just an idea, it may be worth looking at large businesses, founded in UK but whom have expanded to the rest of the world, I know Ernst and Young for example have a good rep and are in St Lucia. As I said just an idea but may be easier with regard to work permits etc if a business is sorting it out for you rather than you having to do it alone.

Anyway as I said hope it all works out for you!

Best Wishes!