Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Offer of work in St. Lucia, need help.

Offer of work in St. Lucia, need help.

Old Sep 6th 2008, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Jossephina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offer of work in St. Lucia, need help.

Hi,
I am a new member. This is my first post
My husband has been offered work in Soufriere, St. Lucia and we would really appreciate any info to help us. We know the Caribbean islands/peoples/life-style well. We would appreciate any info. on cost of living.

The average cost of a simple one/two bedroom apartment in Soufriere.
The average cost of food for a month (yup simple would describe our eating as well!!)
And any other info possible - e.g. average electricity.

Thank you in advance.
Jo.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:08 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offer of work in St. Lucia, need help.

Welcome to the forum
Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

LucyLock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Welcome to the forum.

Rental for a one bedroom from my experience would be about EC$1500, 2 bedroom EC$ 2000 - $3000 depending on the facilities etc. Soufriere is a little cheaper than the north of the island. I am in the real estate business so I will keep a look out for you.

Food here is expensive compared to the UK, unless you stick to the local provisions which are cheap, bread is subsidized and is usually EC$2 for a loaf. Electric can vary depending on air conditioning etc I will dig out my electric bill and give you some ideas of cost per kilowatt etc.

Water for an average household is EC$14.90 per month.
Telephone/internet combined costs me about $300 per month but that is for above average usage.

I will come back to you with further information shortly.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome to the forum and thanks for the info LucyLock. I have noticed on other posts, that you have been awesome in gathering info, and I was hoping you would see my question.

Really appreciate the help.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Nad_22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jossephina
Hi,
I am a new member. This is my first post
My husband has been offered work in Soufriere, St. Lucia and we would really appreciate any info to help us. We know the Caribbean islands/peoples/life-style well. We would appreciate any info. on cost of living.

The average cost of a simple one/two bedroom apartment in Soufriere.
The average cost of food for a month (yup simple would describe our eating as well!!)
And any other info possible - e.g. average electricity.

Thank you in advance.
Jo.
Hi Jossephina,

A quick question from your post - did your husband find work while in St Lucia or was he elsewhere? Im looking for work in St Lucia before moving over

Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

We are not in St. Lucia and the work offer has come through a friend. My husband will be working with our friend. Perhaps it will be one year, we are hoping longer.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:32 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with this new venture.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. We lived in Trinidad for many years, but have not been to St. Lucia before.

Do you know if there are any restrictions on foreign nationals opening a bank account in St. Lucia?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:43 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jossephina
Thank you. We lived in Trinidad for many years, but have not been to St. Lucia before.

Do you know if there are any restrictions on foreign nationals opening a bank account in St. Lucia?
No restrictions I know of, should be pretty straight forward. Banks are now used to dealing with international clients. What did you do in Trinidad ?
I have not been there for 5 years now but still enjoy a good roti and bussupshot, even the occassional doubles !!!.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Actually I was born in Trinidad
Moved away many years ago but still visit often as I have lots of family there. First stop on the way from the airport - roti - especially roti with curry mango! And I am hoping to find a roti shop in St. Lucia!

As I saw in another thread, and agree, Trinidad does have a problem with the crime situation moreso than other islands. But if one knows where NOT to go, it's OK. Fortunately the roti shops are all safe! We hope and pray things improve.

LucyLok had offered to find an old electricity bill and give me an idea of the monthly cost.............I wonder if she forgot............
I am still gathering info for my husband and we know cost of electricity in Trinidad seems expensive, so having an idea of the cost in St. Lucia will help in putting together our budget.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

LucyLock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sorry for the late reply. Just checked my electric bill, it runs at about 600EC a month - my maths is not good but per kilowatt it is about 1EC$. That is for a 3 bed house with three persons, 1 airconditioner.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

williamski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: looking to move to barbados need help

Hi

I am a single mum looking to move from London and try my luck in Barbados, how is the job situation out there ? is there alot of work or am I being unrealistic to think I could get a job straight away?