British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Nanny jobs st.lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/nanny-jobs-st-lucia-874922/)

Indie123 Mar 27th 2016 8:44 am

Nanny jobs st.lucia

Hi all,

I have booked to come down to st.lucia in July for 6 weeks with my 5 year old.
I am seriously considering staying there if I find work though. Already have accommodation, car, citizenship as I travel to st. Lucia quite frequently and all my family are there and also my partner.
I am really hoping to find work in childcare whether this be nannying for a family or working in a daycare or school. I have tried contacting schools but haven't really got anywhere with that so now considering nannying. Anyone know where to start with this or better still (even though this is a long shot!) Anyone know of anyone looking for a nanny or au pair!?

scot47 Mar 27th 2016 4:52 pm

Re: Nanny jobs st.lucia

Would you need a work permit ?

Indie123 Mar 27th 2016 4:54 pm

No..I have st.Lucian citizenship (via descent). I have also sorted an St.Lucian ID card with ni number already

uk_grenada Mar 28th 2016 1:39 am

If you find a nannying job great, but isnt thr majority of semi casual work in the tourist industry? If you really want to stay on the island, Could you be happy working in a bar restaurant or hotel?

Indie123 Mar 28th 2016 2:37 am

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 11906877)
If you find a nannying job great, but isnt thr majority of semi casual work in the tourist industry? If you really want to stay on the island, Could you be happy working in a bar restaurant or hotel?

I wouldn't mind but I have no experience whatsover working in either...so not sure how easy it will be to find a job in that area. Don't think bar or restaurant would suit me...possibly hotel work though. I am open when it comes to work..would like to start off looking for something I prefer though.

Pistolpete2 Mar 28th 2016 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Indie123 (Post 11906382)
Hi all,

I have booked to come down to st.lucia in July for 6 weeks with my 5 year old.
I am seriously considering staying there if I find work though. Already have accommodation, car, citizenship as I travel to st. Lucia quite frequently and all my family are there and also my partner.
I am really hoping to find work in childcare whether this be nannying for a family or working in a daycare or school. I have tried contacting schools but haven't really got anywhere with that so now considering nannying. Anyone know where to start with this or better still (even though this is a long shot!) Anyone know of anyone looking for a nanny or au pair!?

Personally, I think that nannying or even professional babysitting would be a good idea but I'm not sure what the hotels have laid on already in this regard. You might need to produce credentials though, or build them to show your trustworthiness and reliability.

I would think it best to make contact with potentially-interested hotels such as Windjammer, the Bay Gardens Group, Coco (Palm/Kreole) and Rex plus the hotels in Marigot Bay - you never know how fully covered they are in this respect.

Even though St Lucia is becoming a more family-oriented travel destination, parents could use a break from time to time and a lot of the restaurants outside of the hotels do not necessarily cater to children's needs.

BTW, I think that care in general, and this can include childcare, is a huge growth opportunity in St Lucia though is likely to be more directed at outsiders coming in who need care services than St Lucians per se.

pgtips Nov 4th 2016 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 11907009)
Personally, I think that nannying or even professional babysitting would be a good idea but I'm not sure what the hotels have laid on already in this regard. You might need to produce credentials though, or build them to show your trustworthiness and reliability.

I would think it best to make contact with potentially-interested hotels such as Windjammer, the Bay Gardens Group, Coco (Palm/Kreole) and Rex plus the hotels in Marigot Bay - you never know how fully covered they are in this respect.

Even though St Lucia is becoming a more family-oriented travel destination, parents could use a break from time to time and a lot of the restaurants outside of the hotels do not necessarily cater to children's needs.

BTW, I think that care in general, and this can include childcare, is a huge growth opportunity in St Lucia though is likely to be more directed at outsiders coming in who need care services than St Lucians per se.

Agree. Great response.