British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Moving to st.lucia what do I need to do before I go? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/moving-st-lucia-what-do-i-need-do-before-i-go-807037/)

Lfrancis139 Aug 24th 2013 3:20 pm

Moving to st.lucia what do I need to do before I go?

I am looking to move to St.Lucia next year April/May. I was not born in St.Lucia but both my parents were so I am applying for citizenship via descent. I have just returned back from St.Lucia after an 8 week stay and made sure I got the form filled out and got references to sign so I will be posting it off to st.lucia high commission during the week. By chance does anyone know how long it takes to be called for an interview? My partner is also st. Lucian but we do not plan on getting married for at least another year. Once my citizenship comes through will I be good to go to move to St.Lucia or is there more that I would need to do?

Pistolpete2 Aug 26th 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Moving to st.lucia what do I need to do before I go?

Originally Posted by Lfrancis139 (Post 10867189)
I am looking to move to St.Lucia next year April/May. I was not born in St.Lucia but both my parents were so I am applying for citizenship via descent. I have just returned back from St.Lucia after an 8 week stay and made sure I got the form filled out and got references to sign so I will be posting it off to st.lucia high commission during the week. By chance does anyone know how long it takes to be called for an interview? My partner is also st. Lucian but we do not plan on getting married for at least another year. Once my citizenship comes through will I be good to go to move to St.Lucia or is there more that I would need to do?

Check with the St Lucia High Commission as to whether you can actually move to St Lucia before you get your citizenship papers, if this helps you.

pgtips Sep 13th 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Moving to st.lucia what do I need to do before I go?

Originally Posted by Lfrancis139 (Post 10867189)

Hi Lfrancis, I know quite a few people who have made the move to the island whose parents were St Lucian citizens but they were born in the UK. Once you get your citizenship by descent you will be free to live and work in the island. However citizenship does not automatically transfer to your UK born children. I dealt with the High commission many years ago regarding my citizenship and they were very slow then. However things may have improved now. Have you thought about what you are going to do on the island once you get there ? Will you have to earn a living ? What part of St Lucia are you looking to move to ? Have you got a place to live ?