British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Moving to St Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/moving-st-lucia-863155/)

Tigerbeer Aug 9th 2015 5:18 pm

Moving to St Lucia

Hi my wife and I are looking to move to St Lucia later this year.
We have a couple of questions and was hopping that somebody may be able to help.

1) Is it worth bringing our own furniture or just buying new when we get there.

2) Can we bring our cat.

3) What are the cable tv stations like, i.e are they as good as Sky/ Virgin.

4) Will we be able to play our DVD's on a USA DVD player.

5) Has anybody had problems in buying property.

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Lfrancis139 Aug 10th 2015 9:20 am

Re: Moving to St Lucia

Originally Posted by Tigerbeer (Post 11719975)
Hi my wife and I are looking to move to St Lucia later this year.
We have a couple of questions and was hopping that somebody may be able to help.

1) Is it worth bringing our own furniture or just buying new when we get there.

2) Can we bring our cat.

3) What are the cable tv stations like, i.e are they as good as Sky/ Virgin.

4) Will we be able to play our DVD's on a USA DVD player.

5) Has anybody had problems in buying property.

Thanks in advance for any advice given

I am also moving to st.lucia later in the year and just returned last week from a 2 month trip

1. I find furniture more expensive in st.lucia...but to be honest it would probably be more expensive to bring your own furniture after shipping charges etc it would probably be worth contacting a shipping company who would be able to give you a quote as it depends on how much you want to ship down and what items

2. Im sure you can...my uncle brang his dog down a few years ago. Im not sure about the process and requirements when it comes to doing this though

3. Cable stations are quite limited...definitely not as good as virgin or sky. You get a good selections of news channels...bbc, cnn etc Channels/programmes are mainly American with a handful of local stations and a handful of Spanish stations (not sure why we have spanish stations)..even though theres less channels you still get a a nice selection of kids channels, news, movies, documentaries etc

4. Not sure about this one

5. No experience buying property

Tigerbeer Aug 10th 2015 6:05 pm

Thank you very much for the information.

Did you find the cost of food expensive?

Lfrancis139 Aug 10th 2015 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tigerbeer (Post 11720759)
Thank you very much for the information.

Did you find the cost of food expensive?

Overall i definately found food more expensive. Also supermarkets have a lot less variety than what we're used to here. For me meats were more expensive, drinks similar price, bread..milk similar price (actually bread is very cheap if you go to a local bakery) laundry products more expensive, cereals more expensive, rice pasta spaghetti similar price but depends on brand I guess, sweets biscuits etc more expensive, tin foods mostly more expensive.

And unfortunately unlike over here they don't really do deals

Tigerbeer Aug 10th 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks again for the response.

Do you think that your short stay has dampened your spirits on your move?

Gordon Barlow Aug 10th 2015 9:48 pm

OP - presumably you have a job, in which case your employer is the best person to answer most of your questions. If you don't have a job, you really shouldn't be looking to buy property before you've even experienced living there a while!

Lfrancis139 Aug 11th 2015 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Tigerbeer (Post 11720874)
Thanks again for the response.

Do you think that your short stay has dampened your spirits on your move?

Definately not..my partner is already out there and I love it out there. My only issue is that things seem to be more expensive not only food but electrical items, furniture, clothing etc also salaries are not great so unless you have a good job or both you and your partner work it might be a struggle. I have family out there aswell..my parents were both born there so I have a connection to st.lucia and have always wanted move there. Was supposed to move this summer but something came up and had to postpone for a few more months..really didn't want to come back though!

Tigerbeer Aug 11th 2015 7:28 pm

I hope you get back soon.