British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Moving to St. Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/moving-st-lucia-755258/)

missjessica Apr 17th 2012 10:30 pm

Moving to St. Lucia

Hi All!

How are you? within the year I will be relocating from New York to St. Lucia. I'm aware this is a British site, but it is incredibly difficult to find information on moving to this island, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I am looking into the Castries area or possibly more south in Soufriere or Choiseul If I decide to go further south. I've traveled to the island and have stayed in each area and love them all for different reasons.

Initially when I move I will be looking to rent before I a buy a property. It will also depend on where I find a job.

Im in the beginning of researching moving to the island so any advice that anyone may have would be very helpful. I have been doing my research and reading a lot about the move, but I'm sure some ideas that are passed through the forum will be some I did not even think of. I will be visiting the island again next month so I will be able to look further so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I look forward to the responses.

Thanks for the help.

pgtips Apr 18th 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Moving to St. Lucia

Originally Posted by missjessica (Post 10011189)
Hi All!

How are you? within the year I will be relocating from New York to St. Lucia. I'm aware this is a British site, but it is incredibly difficult to find information on moving to this island, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I am looking into the Castries area or possibly more south in Soufriere or Choiseul If I decide to go further south. I've traveled to the island and have stayed in each area and love them all for different reasons.

Initially when I move I will be looking to rent before I a buy a property. It will also depend on where I find a job.

Im in the beginning of researching moving to the island so any advice that anyone may have would be very helpful. I have been doing my research and reading a lot about the move, but I'm sure some ideas that are passed through the forum will be some I did not even think of. I will be visiting the island again next month so I will be able to look further so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I look forward to the responses.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Jessica, welcome top the forum. The information is just as relevant to you as an American as it is to the British. I would say your first port of call would be to read through the old threads on St Lucia as they already contain a wealth of information. On the job front I suppose it depends what field you are in and what experience you are bringing to the table. Will you qualify for a work visa, are you a national etc. ?

missjessica Apr 18th 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Moving to St. Lucia

Thanks for responding! I was reading about the working visa and actually spoke to a contact that I have in st Lucia and I'm under the impression that in order to get a working visa I will have to get a job and my employer will have to apply for the working visa. I will not be ableto apply for one myself and go into the country with a working visa already.

Have you heard anything about this?

I was also advised that I would be better off gettif a job in a special skill and niche that I have because they tend to like tongice their jobs tithe locals which makes sense.

What do you think?