Moving To St. Lucia

Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:46 am
Just Joined

stubbyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To St. Lucia

Hi PGTIPS, Thank you for the 'lucky man', hope I still feel the same when I am 80
So there are plenty of places then for the shopping, the wife likes to go to the market and buy fresh product where she can, she likes to support local business if possible, so I think she would like to do the same there, probably more so. When we went to Jamaica, we went to a local supermarket, and I have got to be honest is stank to high heven, it was so bad the wife didnt stay too long and thats saying something lol. Is this something that is normal and we will have to get used to? Sorry if I am sounding silly, but she obviously thinks these things are important, and I need to keep her happy, cause if she is happy, I am happy
I watched an old version of 'a place in the sun' I know dont say it (dreamers ) last night on St Lucia, and they were saying that the south of the Island is over looked by house hunters and beautiful, mind you I think it was filmed in 2000, is this still the case and would you recommend it? Thanks for your help and advise, do you live there all the time or do you come back to UK now and again?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:22 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubbyman
Hi PGTIPS, Thank you for the 'lucky man', hope I still feel the same when I am 80
So there are plenty of places then for the shopping, the wife likes to go to the market and buy fresh product where she can, she likes to support local business if possible, so I think she would like to do the same there, probably more so. When we went to Jamaica, we went to a local supermarket, and I have got to be honest is stank to high heven, it was so bad the wife didnt stay too long and thats saying something lol. Is this something that is normal and we will have to get used to? Sorry if I am sounding silly, but she obviously thinks these things are important, and I need to keep her happy, cause if she is happy, I am happy
I watched an old version of 'a place in the sun' I know dont say it (dreamers ) last night on St Lucia, and they were saying that the south of the Island is over looked by house hunters and beautiful, mind you I think it was filmed in 2000, is this still the case and would you recommend it? Thanks for your help and advise, do you live there all the time or do you come back to UK now and again?
Stubbyman, the supermarkets in Rodney bay are very modern and air conditioned, so no, no frowsy smells. Maybe there was poor air circulation where you were.

Too be honest the South of the island is more lush and green than the North, well some parts, but the North is where most of the action and convenience is, and it is still very pretty. I have driven all over the island and stayed in various parts, but for me the North is where it is happening. Sime people like Marigot Bay on the west coast for it's beauty and a little community has developed there. However for me the South, Pitons etc are great for day trips and weekends, but ultimatley it is just too slow for a lot of people on a permanent basis and after a couple of Days I am bored in View fort. You will get much more for your money in the South of the island, but believe me the North holds a premium for a very good reason.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Hi PGTIPS, Thanks so much, we had set ourselves on the rodney bag, marigot bay, north /West of the island basically areas. Just wanted to know what the south was like, and if it had changed over the years, but as you said we would probably like to be around the action, we like to strole out of an evening, and go to meals etc, so I suppose the areas suggested would be best for us.
Thanks so much mate, it is much appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Peanut Punch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the welcome PG Tips and Cool.

I agree PG Tips St Lucia is truly beautiful and like all countries there are some places that could be improved eg parts of Castries - hopefully when the global economy improves it will get a facelift. Sorry to hear about your experiences there Glittery it reminds me of some places in London where you come across beggars and rough sleepers. In fact Westminster Council even decided to 'ban' them or move them onto another area....
I hope Glittery you are enjoying your time in St Lucia and that you're settling well.

Rodney Bay has so many places to shop and as you say PG Tips there is a new mall being built - I think it's called Bay View Mall the plan looks great I understand there will be some homes above the shops. I think Stubby your wife would enjoy the North.

Cool I thought your posts were really interesting and it's useful to hear your experience - it broadens the information provided by this forum. I am interested in your website but as a newbie cannot have any PMs yet I'm sure some of my family living in St Lucia would be interested too.
I can't see what the problem is as I can't see any websites or your post and I actually wanted the information. I hope you can PM the info when I've sent my 3rd post.
I look forward to hearing from everyone - especially you Cool.

Peanut Punch
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point

Great website cool!

You should add it as a signature as a lot of people will find it useful. In my opinion your site has an awful lot to offer.

FYI - I've got one of my sites in my signature for informational purposes only - it's not part of my business portfolio nor do I generate income from it.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi 3ACES, just had a quick peek at your website, and find another really useful website, love the fact I have found this forum, there is anything I cant find out from great people about living in St. Lucia if I need it.

Well done, keep up the great work!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Scottylad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pgtips
Stubbyman, 13 years your junior....you lucky man
You will be spoiled for choice of shopping as there are two supermarkets in the North, Rodney Bay area. There is also a small mall http://www.shopjqmall.com and another one was being built the last time I was there. Some local vendors also sell fresh produce outside the mall and you can buy stuff in Gros Islet. When I stay in Rodney Bay I never go into Castries to buy any shopping, however about halfway down the road from Rodney bay to Castries there is another mini mall called Gablewoods mall if you want a change.

If you guys like eating out there is a whole array of restaurants and eateries in the area. Hey even Subway, Burger King, Dominoes and KFC all have a presence. The Marina has just been extended and I know a few new outlets were opening there also. Rodney Bay already is very international so nobody tends to bother anyone when they are shopping as this is frowned upon.

pgtips
Have you tried the KFC? Not anything like the KFC here - who knows where they get their chickens?? We went to one of the supermarkets near Rodney Bay and some poor starving guy insisted on washing our car even though I told him it was a hire car and I wasn't going to pay for it. My wife insisted that I should pay him but it was only small change, so you do get them everywhere.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:45 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottylad
pgtips
Have you tried the KFC? Not anything like the KFC here - who knows where they get their chickens?? We went to one of the supermarkets near Rodney Bay and some poor starving guy insisted on washing our car even though I told him it was a hire car and I wasn't going to pay for it. My wife insisted that I should pay him but it was only small change, so you do get them everywhere.
Scottylad, I have indeed had KFC on numerous occasions and it is finger licking good. I don't mind someone offering to wash my car, but the kind of stuff referred to in Castries cannot be compared to Rodney Bay. In fact I would swear I was in two different islands. There is plans to upgrade Castries but it all cost a lot of money and will take some time.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stubbyman
Hi 3ACES, just had a quick peek at your website, and find another really useful website, love the fact I have found this forum, there is anything I cant find out from great people about living in St. Lucia if I need it.

Well done, keep up the great work!

Thanks stubbyman. The idea of the website came about last year while holidaying in St Lucia. I teamed up with a local web developer who promised to take the project forward if I did all the donkey work.

Like a mug I did all the work in getting the site ready. Met up with the local web developer in December who wanted to me to invest another $10,000 in marketing it locally. When I asked about his contribution I hit a brick wall. Basically, got lots of promises but no action and since March it has gone quiet....lol

Thankfully, I didn't lose any money and setting up sites like this is something I do on regular basis anyway so I'm not too badly burnt.

All is not lost as I might turn into a business if we emigrate.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 3aces
Thanks stubbyman. The idea of the website came about last year while holidaying in St Lucia. I teamed up with a local web developer who promised to take the project forward if I did all the donkey work.

Like a mug I did all the work in getting the site ready. Met up with the local web developer in December who wanted to me to invest another $10,000 in marketing it locally. When I asked about his contribution I hit a brick wall. Basically, got lots of promises but no action and since March it has gone quiet....lol

Thankfully, I didn't lose any money and setting up sites like this is something I do on regular basis anyway so I'm not too badly burnt.

All is not lost as I might turn into a business if we emigrate.
I look at the site and I can't tell what it is about. Yes, the site name indicates it should be about St Lucia, but all the menu items on the top are related to web development.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
I look at the site and I can't tell what it is about. Yes, the site name indicates it should be about St Lucia, but all the menu items on the top are related to web development.
Well general idea was for it to be a business directory listing mainly tourist related services. There is also an option to submit reviews but we later tagged on the web development services which in retrospect should have been sub-sites. I think we tried to kill too many birds with one stone.....lol There is even a fully functional job site running in the background!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:33 am
Just Joined

iboudak is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,
First I would like to express my thanks to all who posted comments and information about St. Lucia on this thread and that this info gave me a good enough picture for the island.
I originally posted my question on a different thread but this one fits better my question so I would like repost it here. There is high possible that I will get a job offer and I will have to move from Canada to St Lucia and my question is how much is needed for a family of two to live comfortably on the island without sacrifices- $30-40-50k or 60 USD.

I will appreciate your input, Ivo
Old Jun 5th 2009, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by iboudak
Hi Everyone,
First I would like to express my thanks to all who posted comments and information about St. Lucia on this thread and that this info gave me a good enough picture for the island.
I originally posted my question on a different thread but this one fits better my question so I would like repost it here. There is high possible that I will get a job offer and I will have to move from Canada to St Lucia and my question is how much is needed for a family of two to live comfortably on the island without sacrifices- $30-40-50k or 60 USD.

I will appreciate your input, Ivo
Hi Iboudak, welcome to the forum.
It really depends on a lot of factors, location, your habits and lifestyle, whether you have to rent a house and vehicle ? Do you eat out a lot, party etc etc.? I can tell you groceries from the supermarket will be on par with US, UK prices. $1000 US should rent you a decent apartment. Car rental is not particularly cheap. Eating out will vary on your taste, but there are high end restaurants as well as budget ones.
To be honest most of the people I know own their homes and vehicles, some even grow a lot of their own provisions so their expenditure is not that much.
This really depends on your situation, you will have to ask more specific questions about your circumstance to get a more accurate answer.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

iboudak is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you PG,
I used to party a lot but now when I am married in my late 30s I have slowed down. I have to rent (so this is let’s say 1000) and I would like to have some kind of transportation. So I should probably buy some second hand car- I see listings but I am not sure are the prices in US or EC dollars (so this is another 1000 per month- is this true or not?). And let’s say I and my wife will eat mostly home but sometimes outside – which probably accounts for $800-900. This makes total $2900/month. Multiple by 12 is roughly 36K per year.

I used to live in Boston 2000-2003 and as a single party person could manage it with 38-40K and I had taxes on top. But also I rented a very cheap place at that time- for $425.

Correct me if my calculations are wrong or too much off the scale.

Thanks,
Ivo
Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by iboudak
Thank you PG,
I used to party a lot but now when I am married in my late 30s I have slowed down. I have to rent (so this is let’s say 1000) and I would like to have some kind of transportation. So I should probably buy some second hand car- I see listings but I am not sure are the prices in US or EC dollars (so this is another 1000 per month- is this true or not?). And let’s say I and my wife will eat mostly home but sometimes outside – which probably accounts for $800-900. This makes total $2900/month. Multiple by 12 is roughly 36K per year.

I used to live in Boston 2000-2003 and as a single party person could manage it with 38-40K and I had taxes on top. But also I rented a very cheap place at that time- for $425.

Correct me if my calculations are wrong or too much off the scale.

Thanks,
Ivo
I would say you could get by on that. Car prices advertised are generally in EC dollars for purchase but sometimes quoted in US for rental.
Where on the island will you be based ? This will make a big difference to how much you pay in rent. If for instance you were living and working in Rodney Bay for example, everthing would be on your doorstep and you may not initially need to have a vehicle as public transport is pretty cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.