Moving To St. Lucia

Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

coolblackguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To St. Lucia

Originally Posted by pgtips
Cool, I am liking you already, your frankness and honesty. I know what you mean about the 'party mentality'.
I bought a plot of land in the Rodney bay area, about 1/2 mile behind Rodney heights, and I am glad I bought when I did because the area is so expensive to buy in now.

I know what you mean about the 'massa' metality of some of the locals, but this can only be changed through education.

On the whole I am treated very well when I am in St Lucia, but I sometimes wonder if it's because the locals want something off me. Having said that where I bought my plot their are some local St Lucians who have inherited properties and are some of my neighbours, and they just seem to be so welcoming and genuinely look out for my interest without wanting anything back in return.

I was speaking to some locals about this problem of giving white folk better treatment and their response was that they got the best tips from them !!
Oh and the American white folk get the best treatment because they are the biggest tippers

I suppose this has not really bothered me because I used to be called a young man with a old head, because the first set of friends I made in St Lucia
were much older than me(retired) and did not have any of the hang ups of the youngsters. Still a lot of my friends in St Lucia are much older and I am attracted to them for their wisdom and knowledge, and believe me if they take to you and see that you are a genuine person they will bend backwards to help you out regardless of your accent.

Anyway I can see that you will be a valuable source of information to this forum, I may be in St Lucia this summer with the family so maybe we can have a chat then.

Hang tight, I can see more and more second generation returnees to the island and coupled with the increase of expats who are quite a cool bunch, your pool of friends and associates will increase.

Is your magazine on line, what is it about ?
Hi Pg

Its true what you say. The further North you go the better you are treated. Living in the Country has its positive side and fortunately they outweigh the negative. But if anyone out there is thinking of getting back to their roots and living in the country, take a pause and think some more. The natural beauty is awesome, rivers, beaches, long walks etc is great, but I remember my cousin came to stay with me for a few weeks and when he saw a (small) lizard, he did the mile in under 3 seconds. Okay slight exaggeration but you get the point. I have also known a couple of white people who wouldn't dream of living anywhere else except country. They have a pool so I guess that helps.

I sometimes think that my expectations were too high so anything else is a dissappointment. The people won't change so I accept and move on. Which is why all expats congregate. Its funny, I get on better with the expats in St.Lucia than when I was in London. Its like a breath of fresh air when we get together.

(SNIP)

Take care Guys

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 2nd 2009 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:43 am
Just Joined

stubbyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cool, had a look at your website, it really good, and very useful, will keep my eye on it with regards to the property, cars, and a boat (but dont tell the wife!). Hope to meet you when we finally get to visit again to house hunt!
Take care you
Best Regards Stubby
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stubbyman
Hi Cool, had a look at your website, it really good, and very useful, will keep my eye on it with regards to the property, cars, and a boat (but dont tell the wife!). Hope to meet you when we finally get to visit again to house hunt!
Take care you
Best Regards Stubby
Thanks Stubby

Look forward to meeting. Sounds like we'll get on fine. Let me know if you need help with house hunt. Always properties on the market and could do with the commission. Are you looking to build or buy? Let me know if I can assist.

Take care
Edmund
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Hi Edmund
We have been looking to buy a ready made cause it seems from reading other threads and speaking with people who have experience first hand, that building in the caribbean is a long process. But I would suppose when the time comes we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
And we would love to when we are ready hopefully help you out by buying something you could get the commission from, so will keep our beedy eyes on your site and keep in touch with you!
Best Regards
Dave (Stubby)
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Peanut Punch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

I found out about this forum by accident and have been reading the info for the last six months since I got back from St Lucia. I find it really interesting -but this thread spurred me on to join up so this is my first ever response to any forum.

I've been wanting to move to St Lucia (Rodney Bay) for quite a while but hopefully in the next year or so I'd like to go out there to live for a year or so - maybe longer if it works out.

Cool your feedback is 'spot on' I was just thinking that when I decide to live there I'll need a really good social network - UK /US Lucians as well as local Lucians. I've met a few people from the UK (2nd generation Lucians) who are out there right now.

I really think the situation will change but I guess with increasing exposure from UK / US born Lucians, I'm guessing this forum can help.

Anyway I'm looking forward to returning this Xmas for my next fix.
Good to hear from you PG Tips - you've been quiet lately
All the best everyone.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:27 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peanut Punch
Hi Everyone,

I found out about this forum by accident and have been reading the info for the last six months since I got back from St Lucia. I find it really interesting -but this thread spurred me on to join up so this is my first ever response to any forum.

I've been wanting to move to St Lucia (Rodney Bay) for quite a while but hopefully in the next year or so I'd like to go out there to live for a year or so - maybe longer if it works out.

Cool your feedback is 'spot on' I was just thinking that when I decide to live there I'll need a really good social network - UK /US Lucians as well as local Lucians. I've met a few people from the UK (2nd generation Lucians) who are out there right now.

I really think the situation will change but I guess with increasing exposure from UK / US born Lucians, I'm guessing this forum can help.

Anyway I'm looking forward to returning this Xmas for my next fix.
Good to hear from you PG Tips - you've been quiet lately
All the best everyone.
Hey Peanut Punch,

Welcome to the forum, I am glad you have joined in and I hope this is the first of many post from you. Every time I visit St Lucia and take that drive from Hewenorra airport to Rodney Bay I am fascinated by the depth and richness of colour on the island, I mean the greenery is just what I refer to as HD, High Definition greenery. The topography of the island is also quite fascinating, pastures, valleys, mountains, lush interior rain forest, different types of beaches. I went to a development in Cap Estate, I think it was Mount Du Cap which is right on the tip of the north of the island, all I can say the view fron up there was breathtaking. You could see the calm waters of the Caribbean sea in one direction, and if you looked in the other direction towards Cas Es Bas beach you good sea the rugged waves of the atlantic ocean pounding the rocks. I took a drive into the mountains of La Bourne (not for the faint hearted, lots of steep upwardly winding roads with no saftey barriers), and again some of the views up in the mountains overlooking Rodney Bay are astounding. Even though Castries has a certain charm in a shabby chic sort of way, certain parts are way overdue for an upgrade, hey it is the capital city after all. I am glad all the new developments have not taken anything away from the beauty of the island. I hope the second generation returnees will be able to make a positive difference to the island and as the numbers increase and we all become aquainted I am sure we will.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Hi, im a young british girl living in St Lucia (along with angelface!!) we have been in to castries together and seperate and im sure angelface wouldnt mind me telling on here that it can be quite a worry. I have found myself approached by men quite freely wanting to either ask me questions or show me things??? or in angleface's case knocking on car window without letup. This is a scary thing and worrying thing to happen as alot of these men seem to be a bit mad (is it through drugs i wonder??) especially being a lone white young female on the receiving end. It has put me off going into castries on my own its something i simply wont do anymore, well not for the time being anyway!
Its just something for your wife to think of
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:53 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
Hi, im a young british girl living in St Lucia (along with angelface!!) we have been in to castries together and seperate and im sure angelface wouldnt mind me telling on here that it can be quite a worry. I have found myself approached by men quite freely wanting to either ask me questions or show me things??? or in angleface's case knocking on car window without letup. This is a scary thing and worrying thing to happen as alot of these men seem to be a bit mad (is it through drugs i wonder??) especially being a lone white young female on the receiving end. It has put me off going into castries on my own its something i simply wont do anymore, well not for the time being anyway!
Glitterycloud, I know what you mean about parts of Castries. They don't just bang on womens car windows. Some parts of Castries are very run down, in fact George Compton had a vision to completely rebuild it when he was alive.
The new government had plans for the total refurb of Castries...we will have to wait and see if this materialises. My mum always went to the market to get her fish and I used to tell her do you have to go there, why not get it from Gros Islet, but she was a creature of habit. Too many beggars and down and outs. The place needs cleaning up in some parts and there are definately some try to aviod at all cost areas in Castries.

Where else do you shop ?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point

The price of the property isnt really a problem, although my wife has fallen for a fantastic villa over Marigot Bay (1.2mGBP), but she does tend to live in cloud cuckoo land much of the time lol.
Best Regards
Loved this quote! Sounds like my wife. Been saying the exact same thing to her - if we emigrate I want the simple life (although I must admit liking some of the villas in the Cap Estate). However, I'm not sure if this would help us integrate with the locals.

Picking up on a couple of Cool's comment - agree with the "Slave Mentality" unfortunately it is something quite common not only in the Caribbean but Africa as well (where I originate from). I also share his views on being wary when dealing with locals. We have friends who have settled in SLU who are in a financial mess because their local business partner had his hands in the till.

St Lucia is a great place but like everywhere else in the world it has it own share of problems and challenges. That is the reason why I'm on here trying to find out as much as possible before making the BIG move.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
Hi All.

Its great to have more people on this thread. Hi Peanut, Glittery, 3 aces, old and new. Sorry about your experiences Glittery but that is everywhere not only St.Lucia. Jamaica etc alot worse. I tend to drive through Castries as there is no need to be there. Supermarkets and local (fresh produce) markets are available all over St.Lucia. Great Supermarkets in Rodney Bay where no one will bother you and Vieux Fort, or anywher in 'country' is excellent for all types of local stuff. Lived here for awhile now and couldn't tell you the last time I went to Castries Town. I'm sorry to say but if you're a young white woman anywhere on the planet then you will be chased. London, Africa etc. There is no getting away from that, especially amongst young black guys, Thats one of the reasons many 'young white' women come to the Caribbean, not including you obviously.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by coolblackguy
Hi All.

Its great to have more people on this thread. Hi Peanut, Glittery, 3 aces, old and new. Sorry about your experiences Glittery but that is everywhere not only St.Lucia. Jamaica etc alot worse. I tend to drive through Castries as there is no need to be there. Supermarkets and local (fresh produce) markets are available all over St.Lucia. Great Supermarkets in Rodney Bay where no one will bother you and Vieux Fort, or anywher in 'country' is excellent for all types of local stuff. Lived here for awhile now and couldn't tell you the last time I went to Castries Town. I'm sorry to say but if you're a young white woman anywhere on the planet then you will be chased. London, Africa etc. There is no getting away from that, especially amongst young black guys, Thats one of the reasons many 'young white' women come to the Caribbean, not including you obviously.
Webmaster etc. or whoever sent a message to me about promoting my website. please look at my previous posts and you will see that I have no intention of promoting my or anyone else website. I have no signature etc plus I have enough visitors to the site. If you wish to ban me, thats ok. I'm just trying to to be honest and open about St.Lucia. My apologies to anyone if you think i'm trying to promote my site. I have over 100 websites, i don't need to promote any of them. Plus according to PG he has mentioned my site
to others. So Ban me or keep your comments to someone else.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Hi All.

Plus the 'non mentionable website' is a free website so i'm not making any money from it and i'm not trying to promote it for gods sake. I've been through the system and I know how it works. I don't want anyone money, a beer is fine with me. This thread is supposed to help people who want to come to St.Lucia, I want to encourage that open and honestly, if anyone can't see that then no problem.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Hi Everyone, its nice to see my thread has encouraged so many people to visit and comment. My wife will be happy with the 'young white woman' bit, mind you she is 13 years my junior, so I am smiling Cool, I thought your website was great and extremely helpful, and isnt that what these forums are all about helping people, expats and soon to be expats alike, so whomever has been horrid enough to comment tell em to get knotted!
Thank you everyone for your comments its great to get so much feedback, and to get real experiences. So where would some go shopping, if they lived in the north of the island safety among the locals, cool I think you mentioned the country would that be best?
Thanks all
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:06 am

Webmaster etc. or whoever sent a message to me about promoting my website. please look at my previous posts and you will see that I have no intention of promoting my or anyone else website. I have no signature etc plus I have enough visitors to the site. If you wish to ban me, thats ok. I'm just trying to to be honest and open about St.Lucia. My apologies to anyone if you think i'm trying to promote my site. I have over 100 websites, i don't need to promote any of them. Plus according to PG he has mentioned my site to others. So Ban me or keep your comments to someone else.
Absolutely. People have asked me about purchasing cars and other goods and coolblackguys site is one of the only sites in St Lucia where you can get reasonable price comparables as it is geared to the local Lucian market and not internationally or to expats. This is a great tool for those who have just moved to St lucia and want to get unbiased price comparables.
To be absolutely honest I had no idea cool ran the website until I asked him what it was the other day and he kindly answered and the shopper magazine is already well known in St Lucia.

Cool don't take it personal and why not add your link in your signature as it is helpful to those new to living in St lucia.

Last edited by pgtips; Jun 4th 2009 at 7:10 am.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:36 am

Hi Everyone, its nice to see my thread has encouraged so many people to visit and comment. My wife will be happy with the 'young white woman' bit, mind you she is 13 years my junior, so I am smiling Cool, I thought your website was great and extremely helpful, and isnt that what these forums are all about helping people, expats and soon to be expats alike, so whomever has been horrid enough to comment tell em to get knotted!
Thank you everyone for your comments its great to get so much feedback, and to get real experiences. So where would some go shopping, if they lived in the north of the island safety among the locals, cool I think you mentioned the country would that be best?
Thanks all
Stubbyman, 13 years your junior....you lucky man
You will be spoiled for choice of shopping as there are two supermarkets in the North, Rodney Bay area. There is also a small mall http://www.shopjqmall.com and another one was being built the last time I was there. Some local vendors also sell fresh produce outside the mall and you can buy stuff in Gros Islet. When I stay in Rodney Bay I never go into Castries to buy any shopping, however about halfway down the road from Rodney bay to Castries there is another mini mall called Gablewoods mall if you want a change.

If you guys like eating out there is a whole array of restaurants and eateries in the area. Hey even Subway, Burger King, Dominoes and KFC all have a presence. The Marina has just been extended and I know a few new outlets were opening there also. Rodney Bay already is very international so nobody tends to bother anyone when they are shopping as this is frowned upon.

Last edited by pgtips; Jun 4th 2009 at 7:46 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.