Moving to St Lucia

Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Angel face is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to St Lucia

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are moving to St Lucia for a three year term starting in early May 09. He has work out there and we were wondering if anyone could give us some advice as to where to rent a property (location and possible estate agents that could help us). Also, we do not know how expensive the general cost of living is over there so any advice would be greatly appreciated as we haven't discussed his salary with his employer yet. We don't want to agree and wage only to find out that we can't afford to live over there!

Finally I was wondering what the expat community is like in St Lucia, with my boyfriend working full time I am concerned that I will become bored and lonely. Ideally I would like to make some friends whilst there and become a part of the community.

It would be good to hear back from people, thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to St Lucia

Hi Angel Face, I am moving over to St Lucia in April, i'm not the best one to answer on prices of things someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to help you out on that one. What job is your boyfriend going to be doing and where will you be based? Do you know much about St Lucia to make a well rounded decision?
We are (hopefully) going to be living up north in or around Gros Ilet because it has what we think is more to offer a younger couple - restaurants, clubs, bars, shopping, ect. The whole island has this to offer but the majority are in the north of the country.

My husband will be working full time too so I will be knocking around (lady of leisure I think its called!!) for a while before I am able to work - visa/citizenship is needed.
I am wanting to meet up with expats when I move over so maybe we can meet up sometime?
Take a look at this website it may give you some idea on property and price.
http://www.cariblist.com/stlucia/rea...rice&B1=Search
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:43 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angel face
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are moving to St Lucia for a three year term starting in early May 09. He has work out there and we were wondering if anyone could give us some advice as to where to rent a property (location and possible estate agents that could help us). Also, we do not know how expensive the general cost of living is over there so any advice would be greatly appreciated as we haven't discussed his salary with his employer yet. We don't want to agree and wage only to find out that we can't afford to live over there!

Finally I was wondering what the expat community is like in St Lucia, with my boyfriend working full time I am concerned that I will become bored and lonely. Ideally I would like to make some friends whilst there and become a part of the community.

Angel Face, the first thing and most important thing you guys have to get established is what your salary is going to be. Then you will be in the position to make informed decisions based on your financial circumstances.
The north of St Lucia is where most of the action is. You will come across quite a few other expats so you should be ok. Life is what you make it, but a bit of money makes it easier.

Have you been to St Lucia before ?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

LucyLock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I live in Marigot Bay which is another nice ex-pat community, rental here ranges from EC$1500 per month for a one bedroom flat through to around $3000 - $4000 for a two bedroomed high spec place. I too am not working at the moment and would be pleased to show you around ( and you glittery cloud) when you get here, please feel free to pm me when you are ready.

Food is more expensive here than the UK as most things are imported, but if you eat the local food ( provisions, chicken etc) you can get by quite cheaply.

It is a great place to live but it can get lonely so make sure you get out and about and meet people.

Good Luck!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Hi there, drop me a PM so I can help you with rental etc, I may be able to help you.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Angel face is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
Hi Angel Face, I am moving over to St Lucia in April, i'm not the best one to answer on prices of things someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to help you out on that one. What job is your boyfriend going to be doing and where will you be based? Do you know much about St Lucia to make a well rounded decision?
We are (hopefully) going to be living up north in or around Gros Ilet because it has what we think is more to offer a younger couple - restaurants, clubs, bars, shopping, ect. The whole island has this to offer but the majority are in the north of the country.

My husband will be working full time too so I will be knocking around (lady of leisure I think its called!!) for a while before I am able to work - visa/citizenship is needed.
I am wanting to meet up with expats when I move over so maybe we can meet up sometime?
Take a look at this website it may give you some idea on property and price.
http://www.cariblist.com/stlucia/rea...rice&B1=Search
Hi,
Thank you glitterycloud, LucyLock and pgtips for all of your advice. Sorry I haven't replied sooner I've just got engaged- my Fiancé proposed on Valentines Day so it's all a little manic at the moment (trying to fit in an engagement party before we leave) but all very exciting!! I haven't been to St Lucia before but we are flying over to see the office where my Fiancé will be working (in Castries as a Quantity Surveyor) in two weeks time so I hope to get a feel for the place then. Thank you for suggestions on where to stay I'll start looking into property rentals either in the North of the island or around Marigot.

When I visit St Lucia in a few weeks time it'll only be for two few days, we'll be meeting my Fiancés new boss and I don't expect I'll have the opportunity to get away. I'd love to meet up with you all when I move over in April/May. It's not long now!!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Hi,
Thank you glitterycloud, LucyLock and pgtips for all of your advice. Sorry I haven't replied sooner I've just got engaged- my Fiancé proposed on Valentines Day so it's all a little manic at the moment (trying to fit in an engagement party before we leave) but all very exciting!! I haven't been to St Lucia before but we are flying over to see the office where my Fiancé will be working (in Castries as a Quantity Surveyor) in two weeks time so I hope to get a feel for the place then. Thank you for suggestions on where to stay I'll start looking into property rentals either in the North of the island or around Marigot.

When I visit St Lucia in a few weeks time it'll only be for two few days, we'll be meeting my Fiancés new boss and I don't expect I'll have the opportunity to get away. I'd love to meet up with you all when I move over in April/May. It's not long now!!
congratulations on your engagement
I hope you enjoy St Lucia on your maiden visit
Keep in touch and lets us know how you get on
Kirstie
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

LucyLock is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations - that's great news!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

elroble is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky you!

We married in ST Lucia 18 years ago - our favourite place is the Cap Estate area.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Louisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations to you both. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time in St Lucia.

We also like the north but there are so many other places to explore. We find the north a bit touristy for us but it is where the action is.

Although we have bought a place at Morne Fortune, we frequently stayed in the south during our frequent visits. I suppose it's different strokes for different folks really.

But please do travel around & take in the culture. The people are really friendly & welcoming & will take time to talk to you. They are very proud of their island & will show you the many places tourist never see.

Have fun
Chris
Old Mar 14th 2009, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

welderboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all im looking to emigrate to st lucia, im very much in the early stages, ill be going it alone, ive spent many weeks in st lucia, i know a few locals and will have 15k to go with, is this enough?
im a welder by trade but a qualified mechanic and experienced ground worker, are they sufficent trades?
who do i need to contact to start the ball rolling? green cards/ work visa's etc? can i rent or shall i buy a boat/motorhome?

please any help would be appreciated, ive got plans to be there by june 09! am i being too optamistic?