Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Saint Lucia Advise on work permit

Moving to Saint Lucia Advise on work permit

Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:21 am
Just Joined

dry_rehman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody

I am Canadian Citizen and have been offered a job at one of the medical university at St Lucia as a assistant professor. I am planning to move to Saint Lucia on work permit with my family.

l have a few questions...

1. Is there anyone who can tell me what could be a decent salary in St. Lucia?

2. Can anybody could give me any comments or advise about St. Lucia; how the life in Saint Lucia is (from the living prospective)?
3. how are the crime rates and is it safe to live in saint Lucia with family. Is there any racism particularly towards the religious minorities?

4. how s the life around Vieux Fort, and Gros Islet St Lucia?

5. are there any good schools for children

6. living in saint Lucia, is it expensive such as keeping a car, house rent etc,

Please give your honest opinion; I will not be offended

thanks

I have few more questions:

Hi everybody

I have already posted few queries about moving to St. Lucia. I have few more:

1. How is the driving there (right hand versus left hand)
2. Can I drive on Canadian driving license for a short period of time
3. Is it easy to get St Lucia driving license
4. Is it easy to buy a car
5. Average house rent
6. What should be a average salary to spend a decent life style

Thanks

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 19th 2014 at 2:40 am. Reason: merge
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Moving to Saint Lucia Advise on work permit

Hi there and welcome to BE. I hope someone will pop by soon to respond to your opening post.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

No comment yet, fellows we are here to help each other, your help might help me to plan my career as moving to a new place with family is not easy.... so any helpful suggestion or feedback might help for my future endeavors.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dry_rehman
No comment yet, fellows we are here to help each other, your help might help me to plan my career as moving to a new place with family is not easy.... so any helpful suggestion or feedback might help for my future endeavors.
Most of your questions are subjective in that everything very much depends upon the sort of lifestyle one wants to carve for oneself. You could live on EC40,000 per year quite comfortably as a family if you lived a simple life without eating out much and traveling. What sort of car would you want/need/desire.....? If you ride the bus your costs would be low but inconvenience would be high.

I'm not aware that there are many BE posters in the Vieux Fort area who can comment anyway.

As for crime - there have been loads of posts ref the general St Lucia situation on the St Lucia section and of course in the St Lucia media. Crime and the nature of crime is not something St Lucians like to talk about much. Much anyway also depends upon where exactly one chooses to settle in terms of community.

Racism? Most St Lucians I know don't know what the word means, if that is any help.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replying, St. Lucian not knowing racism is very promising and positive.

I agree with you that my questions were subjective as every one has different definition of decent life style, however you gave a general idea about the life, which is very helpful.

In terms of vehicle, I would need a mini van as it is convenient for family and kids.

please can you let me know what the average rent for the apartments could be such as 2-3/4 bedroom apartment. I am not looking for luxury villa, luxury apartments. I will residing to Vieux Fort

Last edited by dry_rehman; Aug 20th 2014 at 1:14 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dry_rehman
Thanks for replying, St. Lucian not knowing racism is very promising and positive.

I agree with you that my questions were subjective as every one has different definition of decent life style, however you gave a general idea about the life, which is very helpful.

In terms of vehicle, I would need a mini van as it is convenient for family and kids.

please can you let me know what the average rent for the apartments could be such as 2-3/4 bedroom apartment. I am not looking for luxury villa, luxury apartments. I will residing to Vieux Fort
I just can't tell you what a reasonable rent for your desired accommodation would be in Vieux Fort but I can tell you that the St Lucia economy in general is very soft right now meaning that it is a buyer's market for rentals and property purchases with seemingly a lot of 'overhang' of landlord renters and sellers with few or no takers. That said, you 'should' one would think be able to find something decent for less than EC$2,500 per month in your desired area.