British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Looking for a teaching job in St Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/looking-teaching-job-st-lucia-595677/)

CeriJones Mar 5th 2009 7:16 pm

Looking for a teaching job in St Lucia

Just wondering if anyone could help regarding teaching vacancies in St Lucia? I am a 30 year old male, married to a Jamaican woman. We have 2 boys both under 3 years. We are interested in imigrating to SLU so that we can experience a more laid back life with fewer pressures and of course the weather:thumbup:. We currently live in Wales.

thanks

pgtips Mar 6th 2009 7:36 am

Re: Looking for a teaching job in St Lucia

Check out some info in the expat guide
http://www.rodneybay.net/ST%20LUCIA%...T%20GUIDE.html

Contact the ministry of education
Contact the private schools because they may have different criteria for employing foreign teachers. Good luck.

CeriJones Mar 8th 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks for your advice i will be getting on it straight away. I have heard that most teachers in SL are female, is this true?

pgtips Mar 8th 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by CeriJones (Post 7356825)
Thanks for your advice i will be getting on it straight away. I have heard that most teachers in SL are female, is this true?

I have not got any stats on this but from general observation I would say that could be pretty accurate.

coolgbb Jul 6th 2009 4:17 am

The caribbean has a need for more males in the teaching profession so I am sure you will find the challenge to teach there a worth while and rewarding experience as long as you have the children at heart.
God bless and I pray all goes well.

CeriJones Dec 6th 2009 3:47 pm

I was wondering what the teaching profession was like in the caribbean? and St Lucia? Are teachers valued more than here in the UK? Also how are relations between parents and teachers. I have heard that repect for teachers and pupil discipline has declined over the past few years, is this true?
Thanks for any help.

Goddess Jan 12th 2010 9:48 am

Hi CeriJones,

The profession is definitely different in the C'bean. I am aware that British Carribbeans repatriate their children for the last two years before O'Levels because of the system which really engendres learning.

Teacjers are highly respected and valued, not only by the students themselves but also by society at large. It is a truly rewarding experience. One tip, though: because there is a "small island mentality", there is strict social control and one's professional life is deeply intertwined with one's social life. So you will always be seen as "Miss" even while at the market or at a socila gathering with all of the ensuing consequences. I suppose like Europe before the sixties!

pgtips Jan 12th 2010 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Goddess (Post 8240812)
Hi CeriJones,

The profession is definitely different in the C'bean. I am aware that British Carribbeans repatriate their children for the last two years before O'Levels because of the system which really engendres learning.

Teacjers are highly respected and valued, not only by the students themselves but also by society at large. It is a truly rewarding experience. One tip, though: because there is a "small island mentality", there is strict social control and one's professional life is deeply intertwined with one's social life. So you will always be seen as "Miss" even while at the market or at a socila gathering with all of the ensuing consequences. I suppose like Europe before the sixties!

Goddess are you a teacher ? Teaching in the Uk seems to be a very tiring profession, with all the stats and the rest.