Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Life in the South of St Lucia

Life in the South of St Lucia

Old May 31st 2010, 10:26 am
Just Joined

BritJaLucian is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Life in the South of St Lucia

Hi all,

I've been reading through many posts related to St Lucia and they've been great and very helpful. However, I wondered if anyone moved to the south of the island, in particular Soufriere and how they find it. Any feedback negative or positive would be great while I ponder taking the plunge! :unsure
Old Jun 1st 2010, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

grandmalee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life in the South of St Lucia

Originally Posted by BritJaLucian
Hi all,

I've been reading through many posts related to St Lucia and they've been great and very helpful. However, I wondered if anyone moved to the south of the island, in particular Soufriere and how they find it. Any feedback negative or positive would be great while I ponder taking the plunge! :unsure
We haven't moved there yet, but are very close to doing so. We have been renting in New Development for several years now...just need to take the plunge and move there full time. In our opinion, Soufriere is a very peaceful, friendly village. We enjoy the local beaches, one in front of the Hummingbird/Still Beach resort and one in front of Benny's at the base of Petit Piton. We find we still have to make trips to Vieux Fort or Castries for certain items that are not readily available in town, and we definitely prefer the drive to Vieux Fort. We have made many friends and look forward to being part of the community.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for you response. I had a feeling thats what I would hear.
Over the past 13 years, I have visited SLU many times always staying in Soufriere so know a lot about the area but, holidaying and living there are two completely different things.
My move is a few years off yet and will definately be to Soufriere as thats where my partner lives but never hurts to be well prepared! I'd better make sure I get my driver's license before I go as I don't want to be on buses going to and from Vieux Fort. The thought of doing those hairpins bends up to Castries to get the stuff I like is not appealing at all
Good luck with your move whenever it happens
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

SRWhite1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I moved to Vieux Fort from UK two years ago and love it. I think Soufriere is a lovely place but its just not for me. Any questions you have I will answer honestly etc it pays to know some things in advance!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SRWhite1965
I moved to Vieux Fort from UK two years ago and love it. I think Soufriere is a lovely place but its just not for me. Any questions you have I will answer honestly etc it pays to know some things in advance!
Thanks for your honesty but why was Soufriere not for you? I'm already scared of the move as I'm a real Londoner and love the fast pace. The slowness of St. Lucia and Soufriere petrifies me!!!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:15 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your honesty but why was Soufriere not for you? I'm already scared of the move as I'm a real Londoner and love the fast pace. The slowness of St. Lucia and Soufriere petrifies me!!!
Eh Eh Boudous !!! You like the fast pace of London but are considering moving to the peaceful quiet south of St Lucia ?

There is much more happening in the north of the island, St Lucia's hustle and bustle centres around the capital Castries and now Rodney Bay the entertainment centre.

I visit the south to see relatives and for peace and quiet. The south is more scenically beautiful than the north, but much more quieter. To get to all the action you will most probably end up going up north, but bear in mind it is
1hr 30min drive, because of all the windy roads and mountains.

It depends what you want and more importantly will you be able to adapt to the slow pace of life.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pgtips
Eh Eh Boudous !!! You like the fast pace of London but are considering moving to the peaceful quiet south of St Lucia ?

There is much more happening in the north of the island, St Lucia's hustle and bustle centres around the capital Castries and now Rodney Bay the entertainment centre.

I visit the south to see relatives and for peace and quiet. The south is more scenically beautiful than the north, but much more quieter. To get to all the action you will most probably end up going up north, but bear in mind it is
1hr 30min drive, because of all the windy roads and mountains.

It depends what you want and more importantly will you be able to adapt to the slow pace of life.
You do make me laugh Pgtips!
I know, I know but to be honest, where I live is not all down to me. My partner is in Slu and he lives in Soufriere so thats why we're going to be there as opposed to the north. It will be a hard transition from London to SLU anyway so the snails pace of Soufriere is just something I'll have to get used to. I'll just miss having a 24 hour shop to go to if I need (or want) something at any time and funnily, I think I'll miss the noise. These are things that never bothered me on visits to SLU but a holiday is different to a lifetime.
I know I'll get used to it all and should stop moaning, after all, I am on my way to paradise. Right?!!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

SRWhite1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

You do make me laugh Pgtips!
I know, I know but to be honest, where I live is not all down to me. My partner is in Slu and he lives in Soufriere so thats why we're going to be there as opposed to the north. It will be a hard transition from London to SLU anyway so the snails pace of Soufriere is just something I'll have to get used to. I'll just miss having a 24 hour shop to go to if I need (or want) something at any time and funnily, I think I'll miss the noise. These are things that never bothered me on visits to SLU but a holiday is different to a lifetime.
I know I'll get used to it all and should stop moaning, after all, I am on my way to paradise. Right?!!
Well, I guess ultimately who are you trying to convince, us or you? You sound very undecided and I am not trying to be offensive in any way, after all it is undoubtedly a huge decision to make.
The way I decided is you go for it and make the best of wherever you go. Give yourself a minimum of one year and then re-evaluate. Give it your all, you might surprise yourself! Good luck
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Skeeterz is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I prefer the south as it can be fun and there are a lot of friendly people there. The north is nice to visit, but the locals down south are much friendlier.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skeeterz
My wife and I prefer the south as it can be fun and there are a lot of friendly people there. The north is nice to visit, but the locals down south are much friendlier.
I will agree with you that folks are friendlier in the south but I've lived south of Castries for over four years and have NEVER really made any sort of connection with the locals (apart from a few) in spite of being married to one. If you are white, you are looked at completely differently, not in a racial type of way but based upon the assumption that you are rich and therefore life is easy. Rich and white are the same thing. Hence it is all about what you can do FOR somebody. Very very rarely can you find somebody to get into a proper informed conversation with. Most folks get angry over some petty political thing and there is NO changing them because you are either with their political party or the other, there is no halfway. In any event, south of Castries everybody speaks patois and rarely properly understands English as spoken by foreigners. Hence, one can be VERY isolated.

It is for this reason that the white expats all hang around Rodney Bay and sit there talking about nothing in particular as they sip or guzzle their Pitons.