British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Immigration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/immigration-858452/)

Sarah1234 May 18th 2015 11:27 pm

Immigration

HI I have a friend whom is British, I have told her to join this forum.
She has a problem, she came here last July to be with her St Lucian partner, she has had a child here prior to this visit, the baby has St lucian nationality. The boyfriend ( father of the child) has left her and she is now on her own and is struggling to even feed herself and the child. She has a flight to go back to the UK in July a few weeks before her year is up, she has no money and no family to help her so cannot change the flight date. She paid her $200 a month up until the time he left her ( back in March) she has not been to immigration to renew her stamp as she just has no cash. She knows that around the time she leaves she will owe around $800 to immigration. She is thinking of going into the office to explain but does not know if this will cause her a problem.

Can anyone advise on what she can do? Will they let her leave the country without paying, what happens in these situations?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Pistolpete2 May 19th 2015 7:06 am

Re: Immigration

Originally Posted by Sarah1234 (Post 11649881)
HI I have a friend whom is British, I have told her to join this forum.
She has a problem, she came here last July to be with her St Lucian partner, she has had a child here prior to this visit, the baby has St lucian nationality. The boyfriend ( father of the child) has left her and she is now on her own and is struggling to even feed herself and the child. She has a flight to go back to the UK in July a few weeks before her year is up, she has no money and no family to help her so cannot change the flight date. She paid her $200 a month up until the time he left her ( back in March) she has not been to immigration to renew her stamp as she just has no cash. She knows that around the time she leaves she will owe around $800 to immigration. She is thinking of going into the office to explain but does not know if this will cause her a problem.

Can anyone advise on what she can do? Will they let her leave the country without paying, what happens in these situations?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sarah

I think that initially she should go to the Ministry of Home Affairs on Compton and explain her predicament to a supervisor there. It is possible that somebody in Immigration could be compassionate, but not guaranteed. Home Affairs can then advise and 'could' possibly point her towards the British High Commission for further assistance or they could point to somebody in Immigration who could help with the stay fees issue.

Of course there also might be the issue of further child support in the interim.