Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Decision? Going or not to St. Lucia??

Decision? Going or not to St. Lucia??

Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:58 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision? Going or not to St. Lucia??

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Everybody I know has been allowed their car and container in duty free.
Have spoken to Nissan sales who have no experience of ever selling a duty free car to anybody other than a local or spouse thereof (after ten years away).

Is everybody you know a local or spouse thereof or citizen by descent who has never before lived in St Lucia? [/QUOTE]

I only know of returning citizens including citizens by descent who have never lived on the island before having this granted. When my parents and aunties moved they were all granted this concession.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

altaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pgtips
Have spoken to Nissan sales who have no experience of ever selling a duty free car to anybody other than a local or spouse thereof (after ten years away).

Is everybody you know a local or spouse thereof or citizen by descent who has never before lived in St Lucia?
I only know of returning citizens including citizens by descent who have never lived on the island before having this granted. When my parents and aunties moved they were all granted this concession.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanx for your answers but...

Ok... So i suppose if I'm just a foreigner who come here for the first time I will get full taxes... But i saw that also on the customs website of St.Lucia that a travelers can bring some household effects and in my case also, tools:

"Baggage Exemptions

Household Effects

Household effects are those items that are normally required in the home in order to facilitate a comfortable living environment. Household effects imported by a passenger are exempted from the payment of Import Duty and Consumption Tax, provided that such items were in his/her possession and use for at least one year.

Tools and Equipment

A passenger can import free of Import Duty and Consumption Tax, tools of trade, musical instruments and equipment normally used in the pursuit of the declared profession or trade provided that the passenger is a returning national.

A passenger could also enjoy similar exemptions, provided that the tools and equipment are imported under the same conditions stated in item #4, for household effects imported by a passenger.

Note: 5% Service Charge and 1.5% Environmental levy are payable in both cases."

Who can clarify this bureaucratia??

thanx
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:22 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by altaus
I only know of returning citizens including citizens by descent who have never lived on the island before having this granted. When my parents and aunties moved they were all granted this concession.
Hi,

Thanx for your answers but...

Ok... So i suppose if I'm just a foreigner who come here for the first time I will get full taxes... But i saw that also on the customs website of St.Lucia that a travelers can bring some household effects and in my case also, tools:

"Baggage Exemptions

Household Effects

Household effects are those items that are normally required in the home in order to facilitate a comfortable living environment. Household effects imported by a passenger are exempted from the payment of Import Duty and Consumption Tax, provided that such items were in his/her possession and use for at least one year.

Tools and Equipment

A passenger can import free of Import Duty and Consumption Tax, tools of trade, musical instruments and equipment normally used in the pursuit of the declared profession or trade provided that the passenger is a returning national.

A passenger could also enjoy similar exemptions, provided that the tools and equipment are imported under the same conditions stated in item #4, for household effects imported by a passenger.

Note: 5% Service Charge and 1.5% Environmental levy are payable in both cases."

Who can clarify this bureaucratia??

thanx[/QUOTE]

You can always telephone customs for further clarification.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

altaus is an unknown quantity at this point

You can always telephone customs for further clarification.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was my last option, but always prefer to try on forums before any goverment office!