British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Considering a move to St.Lucia.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/considering-move-st-lucia-583144/)

Islandgurl Jan 10th 2009 1:49 pm

Considering a move to St.Lucia..

Hello all...just wanted to introduce myself..:)

I am considering a move to St.Lucia

I'm British by birth but moved to the US some time ago, and have since acquired US naturalization there. I acquired legal residence status in St.Lucia through my father who was St.Lucian many years ago - looking to purchase a home. I am looking to buy a house in the Rodney Heights area, Cap Estate or Rodney Bay area. I recently opened up an acct at First International Bank. Are there any other areas anyone can recommend? Can anyone point me to reputable estate agents that I can deal with, and what the whole process is in buying a home there? Do I need a lawyer? etc...Also, I am interested in buying a boat, so what would I need to do there? Thanks in advance...I will also go back and read some old threads to see if I can find answers there..

pgtips Jan 12th 2009 7:49 am

Re: Considering a move to St.Lucia..

Originally Posted by Islandgurl (Post 7148540)
Hello all...just wanted to introduce myself..:)

I am considering a move to St.Lucia

I'm British by birth but moved to the US some time ago, and have since acquired US naturalization there. I acquired legal residence status in St.Lucia through my father who was St.Lucian many years ago - looking to purchase a home. I am looking to buy a house in the Rodney Heights area, Cap Estate or Rodney Bay area. I recently opened up an acct at First International Bank. Are there any other areas anyone can recommend? Can anyone point me to reputable estate agents that I can deal with, and what the whole process is in buying a home there? Do I need a lawyer? etc...Also, I am interested in buying a boat, so what would I need to do there? Thanks in advance...I will also go back and read some old threads to see if I can find answers there..

Hi Islandgurl,

The area you mentioned are prime real estate areas and for good reason, you have access to almost everything on your doorstep, including the beach, nightlife, and restaurants, shopping etc. If its convenience you want you have already pinpointed the right areas. Cap Estate is quieter and good for the golfing crowd. Lots are fairly large. Rodney Heights looks over the Marina and Caribbean sea depending how high you go, however you also see the highway below and all and sundry can look up at your house from below. My preference is for something a bit quieter and if you go half a mile inland behind Rodney heights the feel completly changes and it feels as though you are in the lovely country side with much more lush greenery. You may or may not have a view of the Atlantic coast but for the sheer peace, and knowing you are still only a few minutes drive from all the action I feel it can't be beaten. Bonne Terre, Moulin a Vent, la fueille etc, all have this kind of feel.
You can also choose to live in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, that is where all the restaurants, nightlife, and beach is, but bear in mind you will have thousands of tourist trawling through your environs, for a couple of weeks holiday this is great, but for permanent living you may get fed up of the lack of privacy and quietness.

Oh and make sure you get a good Lawyer, I can recommend the one my family have been using for many years and she has never let us down to date and we have put several property purchases through her.

Good luck, and hey put my name down for a trip down the island in your boat :thumbsup:

Scottylad Jan 12th 2009 3:56 pm

Hi Islandgurl
There is a very helpful guy, Ben Jelic based in Rodney Bay Marina who has been sending us details of boats he can source from the US at very reasonable prices. Check out his website www.caribbeanyachtingbj.com. If you email him details of what you are looking for he can send you pictures and prices. Unfortunately at present the exchange rates aren't so good so we have put off looking for the moment but if they pick up we will start again but our house won't be ready for about a year so no rush.

Chris Louisy Jan 16th 2009 9:49 pm

Try Maria or Don at Blue Reef Real Estate. We have met with them several times & not only are they really efficient, they are really nice people & have some great properties