British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Chance of Work? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/chance-work-774131/)

apc023 Oct 9th 2012 4:24 pm

Chance of Work?

Hi guys,

stumbled across this forum today thought i'd see if anyone had any advice/information.

my long term partner has just started a job in st lucia until next july. i was wondering what anyone thought of the prospects of me joining her & being able to get a job are?

i suppose more specifically how hard is it for a UK national to get work in st lucia?

if indeed it is as i suspect pretty hard to find a job then my second question is this :

a tourist can stay for 42 days i understand but if i were to stay for 42 days then return to the UK how soon would be able to return for another 42 days?

sorry for the long-ish first post and thanks in advance for anyone with any relevant info ;)

Pistolpete2 Oct 9th 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Chance of Work?

Originally Posted by apc023 (Post 10321938)
Hi guys,

stumbled across this forum today thought i'd see if anyone had any advice/information.

my long term partner has just started a job in st lucia until next july. i was wondering what anyone thought of the prospects of me joining her & being able to get a job are?

Spouse always reads much better than partner here as things would be slightly easier.

i suppose more specifically how hard is it for a UK national to get work in st lucia?

Uk National counts for zilch - it would be very hard for you to find work here right now and the work permit, which takes a good deal of time to come by costs about 2,000 GBP per annum.

if indeed it is as i suspect pretty hard to find a job then my second question is this :

a tourist can stay for 42 days i understand but if i were to stay for 42 days then return to the UK how soon would be able to return for another 42 days?

I believe you will be able to return right away. If this happens an awful lot of times questions might be asked but not for quite a few months/maybe a year.

sorry for the long-ish first post and thanks in advance for anyone with any relevant info ;)

Hope this helps!

apc023 Oct 9th 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks for the reply any feedback i can get is greatly appreciated!

pgtips Oct 17th 2012 8:13 am

Ditto PistolPete2, the market is tough right now in St Lucia and unless you have anything extra special to bring to the island then things will even be tougher. Well done to your partner for securing a job.

Sarah1234 Oct 29th 2012 2:52 pm

My experience is that you do not hav to leave the island after 42 days you can go to immigration in Bridge Street Castries explain that your partner is working here and that you would like to stay on, they will charge you EC$200 then stamp you in for another 42 days - you cant do this forever but my friend did this for a while and all was fine, as long as you pay!