British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Car Hire in St Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/car-hire-st-lucia-585754/)

Chris Louisy Jan 20th 2009 1:17 pm

Car Hire in St Lucia

Hi

We usually book our car hire on the internet before we travel.

Does anyone know if it's cheaper to hire a car there as opposed to the internet?

Also, do you have any companies you would recommend?

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks
Chris

pgtips Jan 20th 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Car Hire in St Lucia

Originally Posted by Chris Louisy (Post 7191747)
Hi

Does anyone know if it's cheaper to hire a car there as opposed to the internet?

Thanks
Chris

Chris, how long will you be in St Lucia for and when will you be there.
I have a friend who I often hire cars from. He is based in Castries but usually delvers and collects the vehicle from you. his rates are very reasonable as he works from home. If you want more info let me know.

Chris Louisy Jan 20th 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks PGT

As we're only going for a week this time, we wouldn't normally bother but we have a lot of running around to do which will be easier with a car. We would only need it for a few days. Maybe Sat 24 (or Sun or Mon ~ just need to check with hubby) until Thurs 29 Jan.

If we didn't need to do so much running around, I much prefer to use the buses.

The cheapest quote I have so far is US$350 with Sixt (it does irritate me when they quote in US$ as I always carry EC$) but that price includes everything (CDW, insurance, etc) & is from Sat to Thurs.

If your guy can better that, I would be more than interested.

We will be up the Morne so local to Castries.

Thanks
Chris

pgtips Jan 20th 2009 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Chris Louisy (Post 7191960)
Thanks PGT

As we're only going for a week this time, we wouldn't normally bother but we have a lot of running around to do which will be easier with a car. We would only need it for a few days. Maybe Sat 24 (or Sun or Mon ~ just need to check with hubby) until Thurs 29 Jan.

If we didn't need to do so much running around, I much prefer to use the buses.

The cheapest quote I have so far is US$350 with Sixt (it does irritate me when they quote in US$ as I always carry EC$) but that price includes everything (CDW, insurance, etc) & is from Sat to Thurs.

If your guy can better that, I would be more than interested.

We will be up the Morne so local to Castries.

Thanks
Chris

That is 913$ EC at exchange fixed exchange rate of 2.61 $EC to $US.
That is about 175UK pounds at the current exchange rate, seems rather steep, what car is this for ? Definately the tourist rate, if you guys are going to be living in St Lucia you will have to start negotiating more local rates or you will be broke before you know it. I will speak to him and hopefully negotiate you a much better deal.

Chris Louisy Jan 20th 2009 4:21 pm

Thanks PGT

Actually, at today's rate, it equates to approx. £240!! I tend to go with the larger rental companies as I am paranoid about having an accident & ending up with a huge bill. It's only a small jeep.

Of course, if & when we move there, we'll have a car (hopefully) but I do hate being ripped off which appears to be the case.

Any help from you/your friend would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much
Chris

3aces Jan 21st 2009 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Chris Louisy (Post 7191747)
Hi

Thanks
Chris

I use and recommend Adventure Leisure Rental - www.al-rentals.com

Rates are good and you also get a free drop pick up and drop off to and from the airport. They are local company who really do take care of their customers.

Chris Louisy Jan 21st 2009 10:41 am

Originally Posted by 3aces (Post 7195352)
I use and recommend Adventure Leisure Rental - www.al-rentals.com

Rates are good and you also get a free drop pick up and drop off to and from the airport. They are local company who really do take care of their customers.

Excellent, thanks. I'll give them a call

pgtips Jan 21st 2009 10:57 am

Chris I have spoken to the car rental chap and negotiated a discount.

His contact details are on http://www.rodneybay.net/St%20Lucia%...formation.html

scroll down to bottom of page I will also PM them to you.

He is not far from the Morne and delivers anyway.

Good luck.

Chris Louisy Jan 21st 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 7195586)
Chris I have spoken to the car rental chap and negotiated a discount.

His contact details are on http://www.rodneybay.net/St%20Lucia%...formation.html

scroll down to bottom of page I will also PM them to you.

He is not far from the Morne and delivers anyway.

Good luck.

Thanks great, many thanks for the info.

Scottylad Jan 21st 2009 11:30 am

If you can get a personal recommendation and a discount then go for it. Last time I booked car hire on the internet as it was supposedly cheaper then car failed to meet us at the airport so next day I kicked up a fuss and was told I could get a good discount, but when they found I had booked online the discount was withdrawn. After much arguing and letting them know I was buying property and would become a regular user I got my discount eventually. However car broke down after first day then got further discount due to hassle and delay in getting replacement. Won't use them again:frown: