British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Builder problems in St Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/builder-problems-st-lucia-739157/)

limrick Nov 16th 2011 10:37 pm

Builder problems in St Lucia

Has anybody used a builder called Wayne Brown Design and what have been their experience with this builder in the last few years
Would like to hear if you have built or are building in St Lucia

Sarah1234 Nov 17th 2011 2:58 pm

Re: Builder problems in St Lucia

I have heard of Wayne Brown design but never used them, I have built ( renovated) a house here in St Lucia and to be honest it was interesting! In my experience you have to have someone to supervise on site most of the time to avoid problems, for example my plans specified power points in certain places, they were placed in the wrong places, instead of the wiring being in the walls it was on the outside (in trunking) etc, etc things that you would just naturally assume would be done as a matter of course in the UK. Anyway having lived here for some time and having previously worked in the Real Estate industry on the island, I do have some good contacts so if you need any help just PM me.

Sarah

limrick Nov 23rd 2011 11:02 am

Hi Sarah
Thank you for the feedback and offer of information I am looking to build but need to know who ar the good builders as you say without detailed directions things can get messed up
Paul

Dex.Lan Dec 19th 2011 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by limrick (Post 9749899)
Hi Sarah
Thank you for the feedback and offer of information I am looking to build but need to know who ar the good builders as you say without detailed directions things can get messed up
Paul

I know of a very good builder by the name of Allan Smith. You may also want to get quote his company as well.

recoba48 Mar 15th 2012 5:48 pm

Hi Sarah, I'm also planning to build in St. Lucia so I'd be very grateful for any assistance in terms of contacts that you could offer please?

Thanks

R

pgtips Mar 16th 2012 7:34 pm

You need good plans, a good builder, and also everything that is included written in a contract. Also never pay all or most of the money up front. This is paid in stages for example lot clearance, foundation work, foundations, walls, roof, interior etc etc. Have the payment plan clearly written out so there is no misunderstanding whatsoever.

emchokie Jan 16th 2013 5:25 pm

Hello Sarah,

Could you send me some of the contacts you have for home construction in St. Lucia? We're looking at purchasing a piece of land and building a house on it. I tried to send you a PM but I need to have 3 posts first before the system will allow me to do that.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Edgar

J.P. Mar 13th 2013 9:28 pm

I had my villa built in St.Lucia about 5 yrs. ago. I used a terrific builder. I had very few problems, good quality workmanship. My only complaint would be some poor scheduling, but that was only because my tiles were coming on a slow boat from Italy.

Owen's construction ltd.

excellent contractor, you'll be happy with the results. I know I was / am!