Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Small claims court in St Lucia?

Small claims court in St Lucia?

Old Apr 30th 2015, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Small claims court in St Lucia?

HI Everyone,

I have a problem which I hope you can help me with as really I am not sure where to start.
I have a small sail boat whom I hired to a friend I hired it in good faith but did not get a written agreement, however there was some email traffic relating to the hire, and money was exchange from him to me via cheques during the period of hire, Anyway whilst he hired it he damaged the boat, both the engine and the hull. He tried to return it damaged, I refused, he agreed to fix it. He has not done so. it has been 8 months now, he has not returned it, I have spoken to a mechanic whom estimates it will cost ec$4000 to fix it, my question is, is there a small claims court here in St Lucia as there is in the UK, where I personally ( rather than involving expensive lawyers) can represent myself and make a claim against him for the repair? Any advice appreciated.

Sarah
Old May 5th 2015, 6:39 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small claims court in St Lucia?

Originally Posted by Sarah1234
HI Everyone,

I have a problem which I hope you can help me with as really I am not sure where to start.
I have a small sail boat whom I hired to a friend I hired it in good faith but did not get a written agreement, however there was some email traffic relating to the hire, and money was exchange from him to me via cheques during the period of hire, Anyway whilst he hired it he damaged the boat, both the engine and the hull. He tried to return it damaged, I refused, he agreed to fix it. He has not done so. it has been 8 months now, he has not returned it, I have spoken to a mechanic whom estimates it will cost ec$4000 to fix it, my question is, is there a small claims court here in St Lucia as there is in the UK, where I personally ( rather than involving expensive lawyers) can represent myself and make a claim against him for the repair? Any advice appreciated.

Sarah
Hi Sarah

I haven't heard of one- but I know a good (and very reasonable) attorney in Rodney Bay who is a boat enthusiast who is worth talking to. He'll certainly give you the right advice as to how to proceed. It might cost you $100 or so for a consultation, but given your situation it would probably be worth making sure you're heading up the right track. Let me know if you want his details and I'll PM them (assuming he isn't the guy who damaged your boat, of course!)

Ta

Ed