British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   Bankruptcy in home country affecting Citizenship? St Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/bankruptcy-home-country-affecting-citizenship-st-lucia-734470/)

Sarah1234 Oct 3rd 2011 6:46 pm

Bankruptcy in home country affecting Citizenship? St Lucia

Hi everyone I wonder if you can help.

My friend has recently married a St Lucian and wants to apply for citizenship here, however she was made bankrupt in her home country and discharged 6 months later, about 3 years ago. On the form it asks if " you have ever been made Bankrupt" , to which of course the answer is yes, will her bankruptcy affect her application?

Thanks

Sarah

Pistolpete2 Oct 4th 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Bankruptcy in home country affecting Citizenship? St Lucia

Originally Posted by Sarah1234 (Post 9655143)
Hi everyone I wonder if you can help.

My friend has recently married a St Lucian and wants to apply for citizenship here, however she was made bankrupt in her home country and discharged 6 months later, about 3 years ago. On the form it asks if " you have ever been made Bankrupt" , to which of course the answer is yes, will her bankruptcy affect her application?

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

St Lucia citizenship application requires you to provide a clean criminal bill of health via a police report. There is a perception that being declared bankrupt is a negative in terms of moral character which may indeed affect an application for citizenship. HOWEVER, I've heard of folks who did not in fact even get their police report and they still got citizenship so nothing is concrete.

That said, the Citizenship of St Lucia Act 2001 states that applications are routinely refused if the applicant is not of good character.

Sarah1234 Oct 5th 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks PistolPete,

I will let her know what you have said, she will have to put it on the form, of course, but its as well that she knows that it could be refused because of this.

Sarah

Pistolpete2 Oct 5th 2011 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah1234 (Post 9659677)
Thanks PistolPete,

I will let her know what you have said, she will have to put it on the form, of course, but its as well that she knows that it could be refused because of this.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

On the news last night the Prime Minister mentioned that if you are bankrupt you are disqualified from being a senator or cabinet minister here. I checked and in that case the actual wording is undischarged bankrupt of a commonwealth country. That may or may not be the issue for citizenship.

Sarah1234 Oct 6th 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks for the reply PistolPete, I will let you know what happens with her application.

Cheers,
Sarah.