Bangers and cash

Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:27 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
blackandwhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bangers and cash

Entrepreneurs...

Anyone thought of buying as scrap the HUGE number of wrecked and rusting cars strewn everywhere you look around the island? Fill a few containers with compacted wrecks and ship to hungry markets in China or India, maybe? Perhaps strike a deal with the SLU govt -- a share of the profit to be ploughed back into environmental or public building projects? It might tidy things up a little, aid the deficit AND produce favourable returns.

Naive of me?? Thoughts welcome.

(That's my third posting, Site Admin! Hint!!!)
blackandwhite is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2012, 5:02 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bangers and cash

Originally Posted by blackandwhite View Post
Entrepreneurs...

Anyone thought of buying as scrap the HUGE number of wrecked and rusting cars strewn everywhere you look around the island? Fill a few containers with compacted wrecks and ship to hungry markets in China or India, maybe? Perhaps strike a deal with the SLU govt -- a share of the profit to be ploughed back into environmental or public building projects? It might tidy things up a little, aid the deficit AND produce favourable returns.

Naive of me?? Thoughts welcome.

(That's my third posting, Site Admin! Hint!!!)
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't consider the number of car shells that litter the landscape - of course there are also the partially stripped vehicles that have the tiniest possibility of just one other part being salvaged, which are kept in storage at the roadside.

I'm not sure that it would be economically viable to ship the wrecks to China or India for nothing, let alone if we had to pay for the scrap.

As for the impact of the littering - well in my view St Lucia has a rather back-to-front view regarding litter. We see countless weed-whacker guys clearing grass verges but rarely is somebody picking up the underlying litter. There is no education programme talking of the negative appearance/impression impact on this tourism island and definitely no talk of penalties for littering.

St Lucians seem to view littering per se as creating employment because the Government then pays for make-work programmes to have it taken away, but not on those verges in seems.

So back to the cars - it would make eminent good sense to have a monthly pick-up of car shells for a nominal fee but for local landfill. If somebody could melt them down or crush them here then so much the better, if indeed there is any export scrap value.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Nov 1st 2012 at 5:44 pm.
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2012, 7:45 pm
  #3  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bangers and cash

Originally Posted by blackandwhite View Post

(That's my third posting, Site Admin! Hint!!!)

It's automatic, if its the pm system you are referring to
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2012, 2:08 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 12
jb_has_questions is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bangers and cash

Funny this. Last week while riding the bus to town I had very similar thoughts. Actually I had two.
The deficits I identified were: lack of an auto wrecker yard and lack of decent sign makers. I know at home people don't leave wrecks because they can get money for them. So I figured there was no wrecking yard. It is a profitable business, the buying of wrecks and the selling of auto parts. Regarding business signs, I find them so small that you can't read them unless you are directly in front of them, definitely not readable from a passing vehicle. I am constantly surprised to learn of a business or shop that I passed numerous times without noticing it was there because of the lack of decent signage.
When I got home I researched both businesses. Apparently there are five wreckers on the island and countless sign makers. So I guess the deficit is not that the businesses don't exist.......
jb_has_questions is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2012, 2:46 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 96
Sarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bangers and cash

Originally Posted by jb_has_questions View Post
Funny this. Last week while riding the bus to town I had very similar thoughts. Actually I had two.
The deficits I identified were: lack of an auto wrecker yard and lack of decent sign makers. I know at home people don't leave wrecks because they can get money for them. So I figured there was no wrecking yard. It is a profitable business, the buying of wrecks and the selling of auto parts. Regarding business signs, I find them so small that you can't read them unless you are directly in front of them, definitely not readable from a passing vehicle. I am constantly surprised to learn of a business or shop that I passed numerous times without noticing it was there because of the lack of decent signage.
When I got home I researched both businesses. Apparently there are five wreckers on the island and countless sign makers. So I guess the deficit is not that the businesses don't exist.......
I think its down to cost, people just dont have the cash in St Lucia that they have in the UK so they will do things themselves, as to auto parts because of duty on cars etc parts are expensive and the wreckers are likewise expensive as well. MY neighbour needed a radiator for his Nissan, a new one was $600EC a second hand one $500EC!

Sarah
Sarah1234 is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2012, 3:08 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bangers and cash

Originally Posted by Sarah1234 View Post
I think its down to cost, people just dont have the cash in St Lucia that they have in the UK so they will do things themselves, as to auto parts because of duty on cars etc parts are expensive and the wreckers are likewise expensive as well. MY neighbour needed a radiator for his Nissan, a new one was $600EC a second hand one $500EC!

Sarah
Had a long chat at the local restau/rumshop about auto parts the other evening. This after getting my car serviced at a major dealer and apparently being the only customer there on that particular day. It seems VAT has done a number on car owners (as well as the rest) and caused them to think twice about going to a dealer to pay consumption tax on top of VAT for what can also turn out to be cheapo generic parts rather than manufacturer's recommended.

I guess this backs up your comment that the second-hand market will be strengthened as a result, even though the price differential makes no kind of sense.

Expect more cars to be stolen to be quickly chopped.
Pistolpete2 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.