British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Your area for weather (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/your-area-weather-935584/)

dougal03 Nov 4th 2020 2:14 pm

Your area for weather

Due to circumstances,being in the Armed Forces,work replacements & business interests,I have lived in many places in my adult life.But I have resided for 30 odd decades mostly in southern Spain.Now I am planning to relocate to Scotland,probably the south east or maybe central although my granddaughter in Inverness tells me to come near to there.But ,although the weather is not my primary concern,you just have to learn to adapt,I am interested in hearing how you folks in any part of the UK experience the climate where you live.I ask this because here in southern europe,I believe that there is a big change happening.Spain is a large country with differing climates but I live on the Costa Blanca,east coast,Alicante Province.January would start the year cold(by Spanish standards) but we can sit outside & eat as the days are bright,February a bit dull,March starting to show more warmth & in April out come the short trousers & the sunshine.Everyone knows how the heat starts building from then on & drought is the problem until late September/early October,still very hot but the hot air from the Sahara meets the cold air coming down from Scandinavia & creates "the Gota Frio" which results in tremendous thunderstorms & really heavy rain storms for which the farmers give thanks.Not so this year & now in early November it is still up in the 22 degrees plus each day.Still in our summer togs.No significant rain although we did have a little shower one morning in early October.I was standing outside the Bank in a queue(only one person allowed in at a time) & we felt a little spot falling on our sunglasses.It was comical because we all turned our faces up like receiving at Holy Communion only for it to stop as suddenly as it began.Nothing since just more of the same.Is there no cold air to come down from the northern regions.I have access to British TV so can see that the UK has had rain in plenty at times.Do you believe in climate change? Has your weather pattern changed?Or am I having yet another "Senior Moment"

Moses2013 Nov 4th 2020 3:13 pm

Re: Your area for weather

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 12930489)
Due to circumstances,being in the Armed Forces,work replacements & business interests,I have lived in many places in my adult life.But I have resided for 30 odd decades mostly in southern Spain.Now I am planning to relocate to Scotland,probably the south east or maybe central although my granddaughter in Inverness tells me to come near to there.But ,although the weather is not my primary concern,you just have to learn to adapt,I am interested in hearing how you folks in any part of the UK experience the climate where you live.I ask this because here in southern europe,I believe that there is a big change happening.Spain is a large country with differing climates but I live on the Costa Blanca,east coast,Alicante Province.January would start the year cold(by Spanish standards) but we can sit outside & eat as the days are bright,February a bit dull,March starting to show more warmth & in April out come the short trousers & the sunshine.Everyone knows how the heat starts building from then on & drought is the problem until late September/early October,still very hot but the hot air from the Sahara meets the cold air coming down from Scandinavia & creates "the Gota Frio" which results in tremendous thunderstorms & really heavy rain storms for which the farmers give thanks.Not so this year & now in early November it is still up in the 22 degrees plus each day.Still in our summer togs.No significant rain although we did have a little shower one morning in early October.I was standing outside the Bank in a queue(only one person allowed in at a time) & we felt a little spot falling on our sunglasses.It was comical because we all turned our faces up like receiving at Holy Communion only for it to stop as suddenly as it began.Nothing since just more of the same.Is there no cold air to come down from the northern regions.I have access to British TV so can see that the UK has had rain in plenty at times.Do you believe in climate change? Has your weather pattern changed?Or am I having yet another "Senior Moment"

Sorry I also have to start with Spain but this is also one of the reasons why we ended up buying a place further North in Spain. Many years ago we visited Almeria in February and of course enjoyed the sun but after seeing the place in summer and the rest of the year, it was actually depressing. I do believe in climate change but at the moment there just doesn't seem to be a pattern. At least in our part of Ireland (I can only go by weather stats for nearest weather station) it's up and down as it's always been. April 2017 only had 13.5 mm rain and then in April 2018 it was 82.2 mm and this year it was 46.8 mm. This year February was the wettest I can remember but then again August this year had half the rainfall we had in August 2019. Even when it comes to Temps there is no real pattern.

dougal03 Nov 5th 2020 11:51 am

Moses you are so right about Almeria.It´s where they made the Spaghetti westerns for a good reason.I found it depressing visiting Murcia even,not only weather wise but lack of transport links etc.The region is featured so often on selling sites for the Brits.I suspect because it is so much cheaper to buy there than north of Alicante city.I have only travelled through the very north of Spain which is so fertile with forests of cork trees.My reason for being where I settled was solely because of a business opportunity not a choice after retirement & I stayed on.Today the local newspapers are carrying a message of an alert for heavy rain! That blows my previous comments out of the water,or is that in? .However it is only for 1 day & concerns mostly the top of Alicante Province,not a spot yet in the Benidorm area.For such a small island like the UK & Ireland & all the many islands around Scotland,isn´t it amazing at how diverse the weather patterns are.

BrendonMyers Nov 5th 2020 4:08 pm

The weather is changing drastically, there is no doubt about that. I was in for almost 12 years, and I could feel the temperature getting hotter every year. In fact, I used to live just outside Calcutta and the place was a little cooler than the city. Every winter, I could feel the border of the difference in temperature shift away from the city towards my house. Right now, I am in Morgan city in Lousiana, and the series of storms raging on the east coast of America is truly devastating. I have been closely monitoring the weather on this website called Climacell so that I can be on the lookout for any incoming storm ( I need that for my business though). In my opinion, 2020 is just the beginning of a series of catastrophic events that might end up changing the d=face of the earth, and human lives as we know it.

dougal03 Nov 6th 2020 10:41 am

Brendon you have experience in such varied places.How dreadful it is for those suffering through the storms in America.I must admit I have only been aware of a noticeable change only over the last 3 years but this year has me totally convinced that it is ongoing in southern europe at least.That is why I have asked this question of others .